Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i was wondering if anyone has ever relocated the pump up higher, like onto the firewall just behind the lid? with this kind of configuration you can draw directly off of the under hood tank and right into the lid. still fully utilize the heat exchanger and not have to add additional lines. also this way you can set up a bypass system for drag strip use. my question is, would there be any issues with cavitation or anything else from locating the pump up higher? it would still be below the ice tank.

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
Heat is a lesser factor, but most pumps do not like to lift water. And if you say it’s being pressure fed by the output of the pump, it’s not the case.

Cavitation is a very real concern, but even in a perfectly bled system, they hate lifting water.

Ideally, you want it gravity fed, and using the shortest length, largest diameter, and straightest lines.

These are best practices when it comes to liquid flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,993 Posts
Agree, gravity feed FTW

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Heat is a lesser factor, but most pumps do not like to lift water. And if you say it’s being pressure fed by the output of the pump, it’s not the case.

Cavitation is a very real concern, but even in a perfectly bled system, they hate lifting water.

Ideally, you want it gravity fed, and using the shortest length, largest diameter, and straightest lines.

These are best practices when it comes to liquid flow.

maybe i am miss understanding you, but i would be mounting the pump below the water level, so itll still be gravity fed.

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
maybe i am miss understanding you, but i would be mounting the pump below the water level, so itll still be gravity fed.
You want the pump at the low part of the loop, ideally.
So below the HX, or even with the bottom, if possible.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You want the pump at the low part of the loop, ideally.
So below the HX, or even with the bottom, if possible.

Now take for example a water pump or a power steering pump, those two are rarely located at the bottom of the loop, what makes them so successful? By the way, I am not arguing, I am just trying to learn.

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
Lowest part of the loop is ideal. It’s kind of hard to put a belt driven water pump lower then the crankshaft, and often times you have to fit within packaging constraints.

PS pump is pretty low volume, iti is designed to build higher pressures. Water pump is a transfer pump, as is the HX pump, so they are more about volume than pressure.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lowest part of the loop is ideal. It’s kind of hard to put a belt driven water pump lower then the crankshaft, and often times you have to fit within packaging constraints.

PS pump is pretty low volume, iti is designed to build higher pressures. Water pump is a transfer pump, as is the HX pump, so they are more about volume than pressure.

hmm..understandable, is the main concern that with it drawing directly off the ice tank itll have to push water a greater distance hence potentially reducing flow or that itll create a vortex in the ice tank and suck air in?

i think im going to buy a varimax pump and do some experimenting just for shits and giggles and record my data.

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
Only concern is if it draws air in, especially if it’s not being gravity fed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only concern is if it draws air in, especially if it’s not being gravity fed.

the pump will be mounted below the ice tank so itll still be gravity fed and another member on here told me to install a vortex breaker if it does start to create vortexes.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
the pump will be mounted below the ice tank so itll still be gravity fed and another member on here told me to install a vortex breaker if it does start to create vortexes.
Not a lot of places back there to mount anything as big as a pump. And you will be very close to the exhaust making it hot as hell. It's not going to be worth the effort let alone the best place for the pump in the system is exactly where it is. The low point in the system.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a lot of places back there to mount anything as big as a pump. And you will be very close to the exhaust making it hot as hell. It's not going to be worth the effort let alone the best place for the pump in the system is exactly where it is. The low point in the system.
the varimax pump arrived today and its much small than i expected. there is a whole bunch of room back there with this size pump. looks like i might be able to get a pretty much direct shot into the lid.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
That's going to be above the output of the tank. Really should just stick to the low spot in the system and run the plumbing.

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's going to be above the output of the tank. Really should just stick to the low spot in the system and run the plumbing.
i understand conventional wisdom tells us to put it at the bottom because its a tried and true method and possibly due to physics. im pretty sure i can get this pump to sit below the tank output so that shouldnt be too much of an issue. im gonna try it, worse case scenario, i have to undo it and put it into the stock location.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Well go for it. I'm sure you know this, but the outlet of the tank is the bottom port.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well go for it. I'm sure you know this, but the outlet of the tank is the bottom port.
Yes sir, unless my eyes are deceiving me, I can get the pump suction level with the bottom port. Realistically though, I think I just need to have it just below the water level. But I will still aim to have it below or level with the bottom port.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Well good luck.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts