Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys use and what is the best and worst out there to get. I just had a tune and my tuner asked me what type of gas I was using and where I got it from. The reason is he said he usually gets 1 more degree of timing out of my set up and he just couldn't because of the fuel. He said 1 degree of timing can be around 30 whp. The last time I got gas was half of a tank of Mobil. I usually use BP. He said Shell was one of the best to use. So I figured I'd ask all of you what you use as well as to see which are the best and worst to get.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Are you using 93 Octane ??? I try to get Sunoco 93 if possible, some Sunoco Stations have 94 but are rare, I had a 94 Pump just a couple miles from me but they closed some years ago & haven't found another one locally ...

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Any top tier 93 octane. I use Mobil.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you using 93 Octane ??? I try to get Sunoco 93 if possible, some Sunoco Stations have 94 but are rare, I had a 94 Pump just a couple miles from me but they closed some years ago & haven't found another one locally ...
Yes, I try to only use that. Also If I remember him saying the other gas he said to try to use was Sunoco.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
There are a couple of Sunoco's around here with Race Gas. I was thinking about trying that out but I primarily use Shell.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
e85

·
Super Moderator
16,918 Posts
With 30whp per degree of timing, E85 should net you around 240whp........lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 degree is not 30whp.

This seems to be true. Depending on mods and variables seems like 1 degree makes avg around 15 whp and up. Here are a couple quotes from a couple of different people. (On my own car I've seen 1* make 15hp and I've seen 3* make 30hp....can vary quite a bit so there's no definitive answer). (I run 18* timing and 17psi with 91 octane pump gas zero issues and tuner has 100% confidence in it, cylinder head temps are a better measurement then iat2's at which to pull timing.....but with that being said I picked up 30 rwhp on a 16 to 18* jump on a mustang dyno

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I have always had good luck with Chevron or Shell 93 when I do run pump, but hey E85 is pump also ;).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always had good luck with Chevron or Shell 93 when I do run pump, but hey E85 is pump also ;).
Right on ASteggall. Like I said he said Shell and Sonoco are top 2 he recommended. I'd stay away from Mobil after what happened with me before my tune.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Costco 91

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Speedway here

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,918 Posts
If he is going to jump timing to the ragged edge in your car, and you get a bad tank of gas, kiss your engine goodbye.
If it’s a credible tuner, they will leave knock sensors at or near factory sensitivity to maintain KR protections, but the OP should know to tell his tuner that he wants to retain FULL knock related safeguards.

I fear many unknowable newbs would tell tuner...... “Give me all the horsepowers”!!!!!

Lol

There are a few tuners with massive egos that have come through this forum who put tunes on full kill and blew many a LSA engines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"If it’s a credible tuner, they will leave knock sensors at or near factory sensitivity to maintain KR protections, but the OP should know to tell his tuner that he wants to retain FULL knock related safeguards."

Thanks for the above comment Larry Arizona.

I have been trying to learn about tuning and upgrades on this forum. I bought HP Tuners and am learning what channels to monitor.

Too bad there isn't a "Dumbass Moves Not To Make" thread in this forum. It needs to be right next to the "Perfect Mods" thread.

·
Super Moderator
20,803 Posts
There are plenty of those threads. Usually the OP has left with his tail between his legs.

Here’s one:

With the A6, never let the trans shift from 6th to 3rd under full power, but itself, especially if modded.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Phoenix. The ONLY place I can get 93 Octane is at the inside the racetrack (Sunoco). The local stations fuel comes by refinery's pipelines from TX & CA. Does anyone know if there is a gas station in metro Phoenix that has 93?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Wow-- learned something new. My other car has ~35 degrees of total timing and makes ~520 hp. That's right at about 15 hp per degree.

I like these timing alternative facts. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts