Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

PTM Modes and Launch Control without TPMS Sensors

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bowtye8 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you know, throwing on some drag radials without TPMS sensors will eventually cause the car to light up the TPMS malfunction indicator lamp (after about 20 miles of driving) and then completely lock you out of PTM modes and launch control. Additionally, you will not be able to hold down the traction control button to turn everything off (both TC and Stabilitrak). Thankfully, the engineers kept us drag racers in mind and threw in an undocumented mode for us to use in this scenario.

To re-enable PTM modes and launch control AFTER your TPMS MIL is on:

1. With the engine running and the car in park, engage the electronic parking brake.
2. Press your traction control button 6 times (if you do it too fast or too slow it won't work).
3. Once the messages in your dash catch up to the 6 button presses, then hold down the traction control button for around 5 seconds.

Result: You'll see both the TC and Stabilitrak lights come on and you can now enter PTM modes, use launch control, or turn everything off.

While your TPMS MIL is active, you'll need to perform this procedure every ignition cycle.

I had some fun testing this on street today once I finally got around to throwing on the welds from my V2. They were color matched for the V3 and fit perfectly. I'm currently running 295/45R17 MT ET Street IIs on them. They are pretty close to the stock overall diameter (27.1 vs 26 inch) and don't seem to cause any weird traction/computer issues (tested numerous times up to 140ish). I think they fill the gaps perfectly.... not a bad looking setup for when I take it to the track....

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
good post rising to the top.
I heard you can have some spare TPMS sensors in a pvc tube with caps . presserize to 35lbs and that should work too. but this option is good too. Thank you. I printed out to have at the track.. somtimes chaos if Im and the front and they call your line... Turning on gopro's, hptuners, traction control etc...

#9 ·
FYI I tried another solution and it is working very well so far. I ordered the 'TPMS Delete' box on ebay for Cadillacs. It ships from Canada for around $107US. It is a small little 3D printed box with a circuit inside that mimics the tpms sensor signals and will set them all to 34psi. You put the car in tpms learn mode and the box takes cares of the rest. You then leave the box in your car and it comes with a usb charger cable that you can have plugged in at all times if you want (I leave it hooked up in the center console). For me, I wanted the 2 front stock sensors to remain working so I bought the $9 tpms relearn tool from amazon. I put the car in tpms learn mode, used the tool from amazon to relearn the front 2 sensors, then brought the TPMS Delete box close to the car and it picked up the back 2 'fake' signals.

#10 ·
so factory fronts wheels and use the fake tool for the rears?
Thats my plan.

#12 ·
So what's best mode at the track with drag radials? Assuming the stick.

#13 ·
Made it to the track this past weekend. First time with this V. Been racing since 1995.. and I must say this was somewhat of a PITA!!!
First pass I have it in Track mode and in the water box. Well car at the tree goes and break. Spits out his rear end gear. This was the first run of the night. its sunny and 90 degrees. They say shut down. I do. Pause HP tuners etc.... Cook in the hot car... 15 min later they tell me fire up..... Well I do try to start HP tuners . some reason wouldnt connect and now they are telling me to heat tires. so I triying to get back to track mode. in rush..... Finally I do and goto heat tires... Well it goes to 2k and bogs. Try again..same... I let off brake and spin out of the water box.... No ticked. Well I crack a 12.0
Next pass almost same guy breaks.... uggg. I crack manage a 11.8.
3rd pass I try sport mode. Still cannot do a burnout... I was in Sport and TC was off. Still no burnout.. Crack a 11.7. Meet a local V guy. HE says do the 6 press TC like the top of this thread. I do and finally can do a burnout. still only crack a 11.7. Car is just so lazy leaving the line... Real lazy!!
2 more passes both 11.8 @ 119.xx
Best 60 was 1.8x. it was very hot and humid. I want a 11.5. better weather should net this. Heard a few guys run 11.3 on DR.
Still had another pass where a guy blew his clutch at the line and they tell me shut down in the water box. Then again. lets go.... ....Well set parking brake, Get to track mode., and then press TC 6 times etc.... PITA when they are telling me go ....go...go..
just not what I am use to.... most setups maybe just hold the TC button etc to fully turn off all the nannys etc...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.