Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Kevin. Recently became the second owner of a '14 V. Super excited to own one of these cars, have been a fan of them since I was in high school, never thought I'd have the opportunity to own one. Bought this 100% stock car from texas, has higher mileage, about 130k but I'm not too worried because knowing me, I'll eventually do a full build on the car. I sold my built Evo X to get one of these and was honestly expecting it to feel "slow", but I am happy to say I was wrong about that, probably because these make more tq than anything ive owned. 馃槀

I'm currently researching my first mods to do to the vehicle, I'm thinking an intake, isolator, and a catch can for now, just to get the beautiful supercharger whine haha, but am definitely open to suggestions for a first round of mods!

Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
Welcome! Yes, cooling and the unstated part is that we're talking about Intake Charge Air cooling, not engine water cooling concerns. Thank goodness these cars have very robust engine cooling systems(!)
Reinforcing the brick is paramount as a collapsed brick (I've recently learned) can crack, dumping WATER in the engine, killing it thoroughly dead. Do the brick.

Reactions: ThatSparksKid

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read about the brick reinforcement, and had a question! First off thanks for all the suggestions for cooling mods, I definitely do plan on getting a heat exchanger and pump as one of the first mods! As for the brick, essentially we need to reinforce the end tanks correct? And if I'm not wrong, from what I've seen as far as photos of reinforced ones, it looks like just another aluminum plate is welded on the end tanks? Or is it more in depth than that?

Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
Thats the gist of it. Adding a plate that also has a slot or hole that allows welding in the middle to the tank, not only the perimeter.

Example: DMS

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats the gist of it. Adding a plate that also has a slot or hole that allows welding in the middle to the tank, not only the perimeter.
So if I had the ability to weld aluminum this could be a DIY thing? Or would this be better left to the professionals?

Registered
So if I had the ability to weld aluminum this could be a DIY thing? Or would this be better left to the professionals?
PCM makes plates that you can weld on.

Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
Entirely your call. My TiG machine won't do aluminum or I'd do it myself. If you have the tools and the skill, go for it I guess. Up to you. Note that the tank is made of fairly thin stuff. Proceed with caution.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PCM makes plates that you can weld on.
I'll have too look into that. Thanks!

Entirely your call. My TiG machine won't do aluminum or I'd do it myself. If you have the tools and the skill, go for it I guess. Up to you. Note that the tank is made of fairly thin stuff. Proceed with caution.
Noted, maybe I'll have a professional do it, I'd rather not mess up and create a potentially expensive issue haha.

Another question i have is catch cans, I've read to only do the snout side, and I've read to do both, any input on that? I've also came to the conclusion that Mighty mouse is the most popular option .

Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
Catch can is a good idea. plumbing it in the line from the valley to the snout is IMHO the ONLY way to do it. Note that the Inlet elbow to valve cover connection is the INLET side of the system in stock form. Putting a catch can in that line makes.....zero sense.
EDIT: also, adding a cute little air filter on the catch can or on your oil fill may look snazzy and impress the onlookers.... but allowing outside air that bypasses the MAF sensor to enter the system...also makes zero sense.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Catch can is a good idea. plumbing it in the line from the valley to the snout is IMHO the ONLY way to do it. Note that the Inlet elbow to valve cover connection is the INLET side of the system in stock form. Putting a catch can in that line makes.....zero sense.
EDIT: also, adding a cute little air filter on the catch can or on your oil fill may look snazzy and impress the onlookers.... but allowing outside air that bypasses the MAF sensor to enter the system...also makes zero sense.
Is that where most of the single cans go? None that I've seen really specify.

Registered
Most single cans mount in space in back of engine under the wiper arms, you remove the 鈥渦turn鈥 hose from valley plate to blower snout. Dirty side of can to valley plate, clean side to blower. I run the mm I like it, easy install it鈥檚 very well built with nice fittings. You can go with a moroso also, definitely cheaper will accomplish the same thing. The mm has a nice drain tube that mounts right down by oil filter, so you can drain it easily from under the car.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most single cans mount in space in back of engine under the wiper arms, you remove the 鈥渦turn鈥 hose from valley plate to blower snout. Dirty side of can to valley plate, clean side to blower. I run the mm I like it, easy install it鈥檚 very well built with nice fittings. You can go with a moroso also, definitely cheaper will accomplish the same thing. The mm has a nice drain tube that mounts right down by oil filter, so you can drain it easily from under the car.
Okay awesome, thanks for the information and clarification! Will definitely look into both options!

Registered
I use the BMR catch can that mounts on the other side....looks more OEM.

Registered
Black Market Racing and yes the inlet and outlet lines run to the snout connections.....with a drain line (zip tied to not blow around) that runs down so I can drain whatever is caught during oil change.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts