Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 blown Caddy's manual says premium fuel is REQUIRED. My '04 naturally aspirated said premium is RECCOMENDED. I realize regular gas usage caused a fairly small performance loss in my '04 but was not a problem for 99% of my driving.
I have always used 93 octane premium in my '14 but at a $0.60 price premium. I'm old enough to remember when that 60 cents would buy 2 gallons of premium!
What would the result be if I ran regular in my blown '14? Am I looking at a catastrophic engine failure?
I know it's going to take a really educated gearhead whiz to answer this one buy I'll bet he is in here.
Dave

·
Registered
2011 thunder grey coupe a6 recaros.
1,079 Posts
Forehead Nose Glasses Chin Vision care

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you can’t afford premium gas, and I mean that sincerely, you should sell the car or wait until you can afford it.

Supercharged engines have much higher pressures inside the combustion chamber and will destroy your pistons in a very quick amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I figgered too, and I can easily afford premium but hate to use it if I don't have to. I also figger if I keep my foot out of it without the blower kicking in I'll probably be OK........ but I can't keep my foot out of it.

·
Administrator
22,660 Posts
That's what I figgered too, and I can easily afford premium but hate to use it if I don't have to. I also figger if I keep my foot out of it without the blower kicking in I'll probably be OK........ but I can't keep my foot out of it.
Interesting…

If you really want to run 87, and not blow the engine, and not worry about your foot, you could remove the supercharger belt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had to use regular on a couple of occasions when I was on "E" and it was the only stuff available. My a$$ was snapped shut till I could run it out and refill with the good stuff.

Interesting…

If you really want to run 87, and not blow the engine, and not worry about your foot, you could remove the supercharger belt.

Not a prayer!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
These cars absolutely require premium fuel. You can put lower octane fuel in in a bind if there is no premium available, but the car will then detect knock often, and pull timing to the "low octane" map. If you threw 87 in there and beat on it after 93 there is a chance you could blow up your engine because it would not have enough time to figure out it needs to continually pull timing.

But I hope you are trolling. Because if you are concerned about 60 cents a gallon difference, you shouldn't be driving a car that gets like 12mpg. Also the performance gains we get from this thirsty engine will evaporate as best when your car pulls 10 degrees of timing, and at worse will leave you with a 5 figure repair bill.

Reactions: Turbojen

·
Premium Member
13,883 Posts
Some states you have no choice but 91
i Guess if You were taking a trip and wanted to save like $15-$20 you could use 91

cost of doing business, for a car that gets 11 around town (stock) whats another couple dollars

·
Registered
660 Posts
There's meth injection which could crutch the octane and make it livable on stock/mild boost, but it would take a lot of gallons of 87 to make up for the cost and hassle of running meth. But if you do ever run out under boost then bye-bye engine parts.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You DO realize you have opened a thread on a website with performance junkies and asked if you can cheap out on gas, right?

Did you really think someone would say yeah go ahead it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
When I tried to put 87 in my Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L I could feel the motor was rougher running, and not liking the grade of fuel in it. I always put 93 in it after. Never would put anything but 93 in my two SS sedans either. And of course always put 93 in my V-Wagon.

Even your '04, if it were a V, I'd never consider putting something other than 93 in either the LS6 or LS2. ALWAYS use premium in these vehicles. They run better (and safer) with 93.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I tried to put 87 in my Sierra 1500 with the 6.2L I could feel the motor was rougher running, and not liking the grade of fuel in it. I always put 93 in it after. Never would put anything but 93 in my two SS sedans either. And of course always put 93 in my V-Wagon.

Even your '04, if it were a V, I'd never consider putting something other than 93 in either the LS6 or LS2. ALWAYS use premium in these vehicles. They run better (and safer) with 93.
I never could tell any difference in my '04 LS6 during 87,000 plus miles of normal driving with 87. I only ran 87 twice in my blown '14 then only with enough to baby it to the civilization of selection..... Hence this interesting discussion....

·
Premium Member
05' CTS-V Sedan "Original Owner"
5 Posts
My 2014 blown Caddy's manual says premium fuel is REQUIRED. My '04 naturally aspirated said premium is RECCOMENDED. I realize regular gas usage caused a fairly small performance loss in my '04 but was not a problem for 99% of my driving.
I have always used 93 octane premium in my '14 but at a $0.60 price premium. I'm old enough to remember when that 60 cents would buy 2 gallons of premium!
What would the result be if I ran regular in my blown '14? Am I looking at a catastrophic engine failure?
I know it's going to take a really educated gearhead whiz to answer this one buy I'll bet he is in here.
Dave
Aces IV Fuel Catalyst by BNDAutomotive is the answer.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The ECM program is adaptive, so if you drive an engine that wants higher octane with lower octane, it will adjust the program for the lower octane fuel. Then, when you dump higher octane in, it takes it a while to retune for the new fuel. So if you're going back and forth between octanes, you might never notice a difference.

·
Vendor
13,657 Posts
The ECM program is adaptive, so if you drive an engine that wants higher octane with lower octane, it will adjust the program for the lower octane fuel. Then, when you dump higher octane in, it takes it a while to retune for the new fuel. So if you're going back and forth between octanes, you might never notice a difference.
It will learner down quicker then it learns up. EGT will get real hot on low timing and low octane.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.