Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got embarrassed by a hipster in a Tesla Model 3 from a stoplight. I am in a mostly stock 2011 V Coupe A6 on Michelin Pilot Sport 305/35 ZR19 rear tires. I can barely get good traction from a launch with those, I was spinning my tires while he was zooming ahead. I love building more power and going faster but don't understand how I can get quicker if I can't get traction. The Hellcats have a lot more power but aren't any faster 0-60, they can't gain any more traction on street tires. I am like everyone else here and want to mod my car and take advantage of it's capability but if I can't translate that power to speed anywhere other than the track on drag tires it is of no use to me. The mods I have budgeted for will give me an extra 100-150HP but I don't see how it is useful on the street if I can't transfer it to increased grip, I will just be able to do more impressive burnouts. Those tires of that size aren't cheap, lol.

·
Super Moderator
21,497 Posts
Utah...I assume elevation around 4K feet? That hurts you and doesn’t hurt the Tesla, for one.

Drag radials. Or drag radials.

I don’t bother below 40 mph on my PSS tires, but I am close to sea level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
not much u can do straight off the line street style, can try starting in 2nd or get real good with the throttle, or u can play with the tune to limit throttle and set it up so it suits what power u can get to the ground in each gear on the street then just have another for track days

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I just got embarrassed by a hipster in a Tesla Model 3 from a stoplight. I am in a mostly stock 2011 V Coupe A6 on Michelin Pilot Sport 305/35 ZR19 rear tires. I can barely get good traction from a launch with those, I was spinning my tires while he was zooming ahead. I love building more power and going faster but don't understand how I can get quicker if I can't get traction. The Hellcats have a lot more power but aren't any faster 0-60, they can't gain any more traction on street tires. I am like everyone else here and want to mod my car and take advantage of it's capability but if I can't translate that power to speed anywhere other than the track on drag tires it is of no use to me. The mods I have budgeted for will give me an extra 100-150HP but I don't see how it is useful on the street if I can't transfer it to increased grip, I will just be able to do more impressive burnouts. Those tires of that size aren't cheap, lol.
So first off, the Tesla Model 3 is fugly. Who cares if they are "quick", I wouldn't be caught dead in that thing lol.
Anyway I feel your pain in a way, but you didn't buy your V for drag racing (it was a poor choice if you did). You probably wanted a complete package car, with acceleration, handling, braking, space for 4 adults, and a street car capable of the occasional track day.
If you must beat a Tesla in a dead stop drag race, you can look into 10.5 inch tire drag racing and do some of the tricks they do to set up your suspension for launching, but you will sacrifice handling. I doubt that is really what you want.

The other thing is to play your own game. Don't chase other cars be it other CTS-V's, GTR's, Hellcats, or Teslas. Ultimately that becomes a game of what you are willing to sacrifice in your (once balanced) ride. Let's not fool ourselves, it also be comes a game of who has more money. If you have equal skill, knowledge, and ability, the one who spends more will be faster. Honestly, to keep up with the fastest cars requires buying a new car almost every year (and then modifying it to be faster than the other "stock" cars of the same kind).

I admit I was a little miffed when Tesla's got fast, so I test drove one with intentions of buying it. After a 24 hour test drive, I knew the Tesla was not for me, and I lost all butt-hurt related to them having a faster "launch" than my car.

If we were friends, I would recommend you first drive a Tesla to see what it is all about. Then decide if you want to buy a Tesla, or set up your V for an optimal drag racing launch, or stay happy with your wonderfully modified car that is not "quicker" than a Tesla, but does have a superior "complete package" with very usable street power (that will occasionally roast the tires when your right foot is overzealous). Nobody likes to lose, but I think you will find you are very happy with the car you have. If you think about the cost of your V, it remains THE bargain in performance cars.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What model pilot sports do have? I bought my 2013 sedan, 6 speed car when it came off a 2 year lease and they had just put on Pilot Sport All Season tires. They were like driving on ice. Since they were new tires I tried to live with them for awhile. When I couldn't stand them any more I was going to replace them with Pilot SS's. I found out they were replacing the SS model with the 4S model which didn't come in my size.
I ended up buying Continental Extreme Contact Sport's which were rated almost as good as the 4S's but had a longer thread life and were cheaper. I am very happy with them. They completely transformed the drivability of the car.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
You're not going to beat a Tesla off the line. AWD and instantaneous torque in a car that weighs less overall is a formula no amount of additional rubber can overcome. Electric motors make the most torque from a stop. As their RPM goes up, their torque goes down, pretty much the opposite of an internal combustion engine, even a blown one. Since Torque is what makes the car move, the electric has a fundamental advantage that cannot be easily overcome. My advice, ignore the Teslas. Those people aren't "drivers", they're "passengers". So what if they're faster than you? The only contribution they're making to achieve that performance is with their wallet. There is no skill involved, the car's computers literally do all the work.

Take solace in the knowledge you've got a higher top speed. And also that when you're out of gas, you can be back on the road in 5 minutes, you don't have to wait a few hours for a "full tank".

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
My V got some respect from a dual motor 3. I posted about it before, but I was curious what it had, and when we both got on it, he was cool enough to roll his window down after we let off, and said "Damn that's fast!".
Not all Tesla owners are passengers. This guy seemed to enjoy driving it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another one for drag radials. flooring the V off the line especially with added power usually just leaves you spinning

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the comments! I personally can't ever see myself enjoying an electric car as much, they are impressive for pure speed numbers though. I love the vibration of the engine, the whine of the supercharger and rumble of the exhaust as well as my connection with the feel of the car. I can't see much satisfaction in bragging to my buddies that I had enough cash to download the latest upgrade. I do wish the V-2 had launch control but doesn't seem to have made significant increases in pure rear wheel drive cars. I love my V and would never trade it's style, character, and feeling to own a quicker car that is unattractive to me and anybody can have with no respect for what it means to possess such power. Having a fast car definitely does not make you a skilled driver qualified to drive it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a follow-up, what tires does everyone recommend for best all around performance? I am running stock 19" rims on a 2011 Coupe with the Michelin PSS 305/35/19 that I believe is now discontinued or at least hard to find. Was the biggest tire that fit the stock rim and looks awesome on the car, fits the wheel well perfectly. Was great for about 5K miles and now gets hardly any traction with 10K miles, I tried very hard to limit spin to make these tires last at $350 each, but if I floor it on an onramp at 60MPH the back just gets loose and drifts to 75MPH, I expected better. I can barely leave a stop light without traction control shutting me down. I know I am bigger than stock width but these are the brand/model tires that these cars came with. Any recommendations on a better tire would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
As a follow-up, what tires does everyone recommend for best all around performance? I am running stock 19" rims on a 2011 Coupe with the Michelin PSS 305/35/19 that I believe is now discontinued or at least hard to find. Was the biggest tire that fit the stock rim and looks awesome on the car, fits the wheel well perfectly. Was great for about 5K miles and now gets hardly any traction with 10K miles, I tried very hard to limit spin to make these tires last at $350 each, but if I floor it on an onramp at 60MPH the back just gets loose and drifts to 75MPH, I expected better. I can barely leave a stop light without traction control shutting me down. I know I am bigger than stock width but these are the brand/model tires that these cars came with. Any recommendations on a better tire would be appreciated.
Above 300 horsepower, you can never really "floor" a car and not spin the wheels. All car websites I belong to have a multipage disagreement over tires at least once a year.
You could start with the opinions stated here: tire recommendations?

My opinion is Michelin PS4's in summer and rain. The price is high and worth it. The best warm weather tire without rain are drag radials. I have a portable lift and electric impact gun. Since I have been driving quicker cars, I am changing tires all the f'kin time :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
264 Posts
+1 to PS4s. They are night and day compared to the original PSS that came on the car.

If you really want more traction drop the wheel size down to a 17” and run a tire with a 45 sidewall.

Sadly nothing is going to hook all that well, from a dig, on the street, when lined up with an AWD car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
Suck? As a summer tire that will experience the occasional Pacific Northwest rain shower?

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Registered
907 Posts
I get TESLAS either crawling up my tailpipe or wanting to go from stops a lot against the NSX.
I ignore em, they are very quick, so what?

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I saw a nice looking graphite (?) Model X, probably performance by the wheels. The license plate was Kleen X. Well played.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Since you have a coupe and you’re trying to increase your tire/traction you should really take advantage of having a coupe over a sedan; 12” wide rears and 345 series rear tires.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts