Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a 12 V Coupe. On the second day I noticed the steering wheel is very hard to turn unless I give her gas. Has anyone confirmed if this is a sensor or do I have a bad PS pump/rack? Any suggestions welcome, thanks

·
Premium Member
3,544 Posts
Have you checked the level in the reservoir? Sounds low.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not checked the level yet, was waiting for it to get warmer. Not gonna drive it till I figure it out though as it seems to be abnormal. Thanks for the reply, will post updates.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not checked the level yet, was waiting for it to get warmer. Not gonna drive it till I figure it out though as it seems to be abnormal. Thanks for the reply, will post updates.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Hmm. There is a sensor. Mine came unhooked when i had the front subframe dropped down and gave me tough steering wheel and a DIC message. Plugged back and no issues. Also could be air. The racks are known to leak inside the boots at tie rods so you can be leaking with no signs. So it was all good when you bought it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the reservoir when the car was cold and the fluid was where it was supposed to be on the dipstick, also didn't smell burnt. Air could be the most likely possibility as I have no messages or lights on in the car. I'll be honest I didn't notice it when I was test driving it because all I could focus on was the power she puts out :rolleyes: If there is air trapped somewhere, would a flush solve it? Thanks for the reply! If anyone reads this and is in the Metro Detroit area I would love to find a good mechanic for this car!!!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Take the steering lock to lock repeatedly with front wheels off the ground and car running. That should help any trapped air find its way out.

Failed PS pumps are not common on these cars that I know of. I would expect noise from a failed pump as well. Any major mods been done lately on the front of the motor? Just wondering if there was a prime opportunity for air to be introduced recently.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I will try that when it stops raining here in MI. Thanks for that advice. She is bone stock as of right now. The steering feels real good whenever I'm driving but just at slow maneuvers like parallel parking she barely wants to budge I have to rev it up a bit. I will update soon thank you

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Check your voltage on the DIC as well to make sure your alternator is charging properly. Mine acted the same and the alternator failed a week later. When the alternator failed, the DIC displayed "Service Power Steering" and "Battery Saver Active".

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
14.5 volts is average for me according to logs.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
14.5 like adam112 mentioned. It may be lower at idle but if your alternator is going out, you might see some weird fluctuations. When mine was acting up, the power steering was almost non-existent at idle but I wasn't aware of a charging issue until it went belly up as I didn't know that the charging system affected the power steering at the time.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Check your voltage on the DIC as well to make sure your alternator is charging properly. Mine acted the same and the alternator failed a week later. When the alternator failed, the DIC displayed "Service Power Steering" and "Battery Saver Active".
Yes to this.. Had the same thing, however I didn't notice low volts until I swapped the pump.. So I have a good used pump if you want it.. pay shipping..

14.5 volts is average for me according to logs.
Yes that is normal, however if you do not have a lot of demand on the charging system, the computer will not call for the extra voltage. I have a new 240 amp alternator and have seen the voltage go down to 12.8 while driving normal (not WOT normal.. but normal, normal)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got done driving around, and my voltage was at 14.5 and dropped down to 13.8 to 13.9 the entire trip so I'm guessing that isn't the culprit. Will turn wheel lock to lock this weekend and hopefully get some good results from that, otherwise back to the drawing board. Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Just got done driving around, and my voltage was at 14.5 and dropped down to 13.8 to 13.9 the entire trip so I'm guessing that isn't the culprit. Will turn wheel lock to lock this weekend and hopefully get some good results from that, otherwise back to the drawing board. Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming!
You dont have to put the car in the air to turn the wheels lock to lock.. just make sure you are rolling, like in a parking lot. What happens when you hit the locks or have the wheel turned all the way is the system PSI will go from (normal operating) approx 125-200psi to 1300-1500 psi and this will force any air out of the system. This is the reason people have leaking steering systems, because in parking lots they crank the wheel all the way and hold it to get in an out of the parking space..
Good Luck, Jeff

Reactions: adam112

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Never resolved this issue, and now I am getting the Service Power Steering message in the DIC. Alternator is reading about 14.3 throughout a drive. I never got the message before installing the CAI so I am thinking the ground strap could've caused the message, but when the car was bone stock i was still getting heavy steering at low speeds, now i can feel the loss of power assist during a highway drive. I did the CAI and track attack heat exchanger at the same time and loss some power steering fluid during but filled it back up. Im guessing it could maybe use a bleeding...I also installed subwoofers and those are known to cause drops in voltage during heavy bass so maybe it could be that too? But like i said i have been keeping my eye on the voltage and havent seen a dip or spike...I was reading through the forum and saw that some people had a loose power steering sensor, does anyone know where that is located if I jack the car up, i know one side of it has a blue connector right? I just want to make sure that isnt loose and also clean/tighten the ground strap. The airaid does come with a powercoated metal but I made sure to keep the original ground strap that was already there on the frame but the powercoat could also be messing with the ground? I know this has been talked about but I dont think its the alternator as of right now...also there is no indication of fluid loss and no groaning/noises coming from anywhere...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts