Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I joined the forum awhile back in an effort to educate myself before buying my first CTS-V. Long story short I came across a great deal for a V6 Coupe with V body styling and incorrectly thought I'd be satisfied.

Fast forward a year and I'm back on the market looking. I came across an AD from James Gill selling his D3 Legionnaire. Initially I was very excited as the mod list is extensive but now through further research on this forum it's led me to be wary. I see both D3 and himself have a bad rep and the company is now defunct. So in short not sure if buying this car from a possibly questionable person is a bad idea. Apologize for the long intro, will post pics and mod list, advice would be appreciated. Thx in advance!

2012 Cadillac CTSV
6.2L LSA Supercharged V8
6-speed manual transmission
Asking price $40k obo
Interior -
One off Recaro seats with diamond stitching
Alcantara Suede Steering Wheel
G-force racing harness
D3 Seatbelt Attachment
Pop up screen w/navigation
E85 content analyzer in center console
Exterior -
D3 2 piece front spoiler
D3 carbon fiber racing splitter w/supports
D3 side skirts
D3 rear diffuser
D3 rear deck spoiler
Euro tail lamps
Euro 3rd brake lamp
D3 Carbon fiber motorsports hood
Black housing headlamps
D3 air ducts
D3 led fog lamps
Brake duct hoses for front brakes
Blacked out window trim
Engine -
Upgraded 2.8L Kenne belle supercharger
Dual map ecu 91 & e85 tune calibration
D3 stage 2 isky camshaft
Upgraded pushrods - isky
Upgraded dual valve springs - isky
Upgraded Cloyes timing chain
Arp timing gear hardware
Rocker trunion bushing upgrade by Harland sharp
D3 intake system
K&n high flow filter
Nick Williams 102mm t/b
MSD plug wires
Ngk spark plugs
D3 aluminum racing radiator

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
their fitment for mail order parts was to be questioned, time frame they would send them out, etc
you are dealing with a car that has likely been together for a while so any ugliness would have likely came to surface by now

I would just count on getting the tune checked out locally if you choose to buy it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you elaborate why it's looked down upon. From talking to him he mentioned it idled @1,000 rpm and ran very hot

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
Can you elaborate why it's looked down upon. From talking to him he mentioned it idled @1,000 rpm and ran very hot
you answered your own question, they tend to blow a lot of heat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Included a few clips. Excuse my excitement in one of them I think I might be getting ahead of myself.

Would the excessive heat of the supercharger put the engine at risk, reduce performance or worse?

It has no cats and 19k miles

Don't remember the wheel model but they're forge line wheels. I agree the car needs a trip to the body shop as the fitment is off on the side skirts and rear bumper. The solder I would get painted as well if I bought it the vinyl wrap is very faded

We had sort of agreed on 35k but if the supercharger is going to be an issue that I have to replace I might have to re bargain my offer or walk away

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
not a fan of those skirts and the paint on the skirts and bumper is off- it would be a pass from me

·
Registered
40 Posts
Excessive heat is always a bad thing for blown cars. The second video looks like a CA plate, so smogging the car in the future may be a challenge. Running E85 has likely killed the cats, so be ready to replace those with OE to meet CA requirements.

Ignoring the mods, $40k seems steep for a coupe unless it is cherry with very low mileage. Might be a different story if it were a manual sedan, but manual coupes are fairly easy to find in CA.

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
i also dont like the contrast of the hood and the spoiler, wheel fitment looks like they took "the good wheels" off and put the car up for sale, fitment is terrible

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
i just dont like the skirts at all, but if you like them go for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Totally understand. It's a cosmetic preference for sure. I guess my concerns are mostly with what their reputation for shop built cars was? I know for everything else its proven they were a dissapointment.

Considering the list of mods ignoring the supercharger is 30-35k for a this car with 19k miles (of which some were track driven) a good deal?

·
Super Moderator
20,868 Posts
You will be happy when you take ownership, and happier when you sell it, probably for a loss, perhaps substantial.

At least, that’s my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
953 Posts
I personally don't like the D3 body mods. I hate the rear spoiler.For performance cars you get back pennies on the dollar for mods and D3 mods were priced high. The car is overpriced and you need to worry about how well it's built. Can you get it inspected by a reputable shop?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll try to convince in him order to do the deal he'll have to let me have it inspected

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you be a little more clear as to the why? Most of the comments have been cosmetic related. You think mechanically I will regret it?

·
Super Moderator
20,868 Posts
I have no knowledge of this particular car, but too many prior cars have history of not living up to the owner’s expectations.

There are a few shops I would trust, not a lot, but a few.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That’s a boatload of cash for a stock bottom end car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.