Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know "no" optional gears are available for our 2009-2014 CTS V's and the 2012-2014 Camaro ZL1's, other than the factory 3.73 and 3.23 ratios. I have called countless outlets, manufacturers, speed shops, etc. Two weeks ago I was introduced to John Hale (Nostalgia Funny Car owner and driver) when he was in Bakersfield for the March Meet at Famoso. We talked cars and I mentioned I wanted some 4.10 gears for my CTS V. We got to talking and he said he had sources for custom parts. Well he called me back yesterday and said there was NO ONE making optional gears for our 9.9" rear ends. He also spoke to US Gear (1 of only 3 manufacturers making ring and pinions in the US) and they said a minimum order would be 100 sets, plus they would need a stock (say 3.73) ring and pinion for preliminary measurements. I will be posting this over on Camaro 5 for the ZL1 owners. Hopefully there will be enough interest (we need 100) to get this done. The main advantage of the automatic over our stick shift cars is the overall ratio in 1st gear (auto: 4.03 X 3.23=13.02 overall, manual 2.66 X 3.73= 9.92 overall) and the 4.10's would go a long way to help the disadvantage. If you are interested in these 4.10's please respond here or send me a PM and I will keep a list. If we get anywhere near the 100 we need then I will front the $30,000 needed to order the 100 (@ estimated $300 per set ) and we will run the entire ordering process through John Hales Muscle Car Shop in Dallas.

In addition I will be rebuilding my TR6060 with optional gears to also help. I now have (2.66 , 1.78, 1.30, 1.00,.80,.63) and I will be going to: (3.02, 2.10, 1.43, 1.00, .74, .50) so I will end up with better cruising gas mileage too! 1st gear will end up at 12.38 overall, a difference I'm sure I will notice! 2nd and 3rd won't be too bad either! Stock for stock I think I will be much quicker. At least I'll have more fun!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Subscribed to see how this progresses. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
I would have normally been an advocate for 410s, but in the V, I actually was considering switching to the 3.23 rear end swap. My 1st and second feel stupid short and are pretty much worthless (traction) on street tires. Even at the track, I can't imagine it helping,, would likely lead to one more shift,,, but not sure about that? Would probably spin DRs too?
On another note, there is a guy that changed the ratios in the tranny,,, maybe that would be a better option for you...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,998 Posts
Can you hook with 4:10's? I thought most of the trouble the M6 cars have is they can't control the tire spin on launch?

Good luck with the gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would have normally been an advocate for 410s, but in the V, I actually was considering switching to the 3.23 rear end swap. My 1st and second feel stupid short and are pretty much worthless (traction) on street tires. Even at the track, I can't imagine it helping,, would likely lead to one more shift,,, but not sure about that? Would probably spin DRs too?
On another note, there is a guy that changed the ratios in the tranny,,, maybe that would be a better option for you...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Tapatalk
I have far fewer mods than you do (Airaid, Tune, and Ported TB).....and I believe I posted I will be changing the transmission ratios, see first post, second paragraph.
With 4.10's and a 26" tire, I will be able to go up to 128 mph (@6,800) and if I go to a 28" tall tire I will be able to go 138 mph, so no I won't have to go an extra shift. Currently I'm running 11.70 @ 121.4 mph.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you hook with 4:10's? I thought most of the trouble the M6 cars have is they can't control the tire spin on launch?

Good luck with the gears.

I've been doing this a long time (my 69 Hemi Road Runner had 5.13's)....I'll get traction. Believe it or not, sometimes a lower gear is actually easier to maintain the bite, with higher gears...once you break traction the tires spin faster than with lower gears thus making it harder to get traction. And even with the 4.10's and a 3.02 first gear, I will still have a higher first gear ratio the a stock automatic with 3.23's (12.38 vs 13.02 for the auto).

·
Super Moderator
17,146 Posts
Lower gears will help the clutch too

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
On drag radials I was bogging at even a 4000 rpm dump. So I think shorter gets would help.

Be pretty cool to do custom trans ratios. Any idea what that costs to have done? Better cruising mileage and better power out of the hole would be the best of both worlds. I feel like a tranny ratio change might achieve some of this without the hassle of getting custom rear gears.

·
Vendor
1,740 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I was actually considering throwing a 275/40/17 on my DR's, 25.7 inch tall tire to try to imitate having a lower gear ratio in the rear just to see if it would help the car or not.....our cars are heavy so some extra gear will go a long way to get these pigs moving.

I don't have any issues with tire spin if I hit the launch right and heat the mickeys up right...havent been having much trouble doing 1.6x pretty consistently.

For 300 bucks I am in for sure.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts

6500 rpm = 128.29 mph

6500 rpm = 141 mph

I would think the 4.10s could actually help us manual guys out significantly....being able to get up into the 6500-6600 meat of my powerband to cross the traps vs crossing a 6k should help me with the big cam.

Logic tells me if I can hook 60 foot should improve slightly as well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On drag radials I was bogging at even a 4000 rpm dump. So I think shorter gets would help.

Be pretty cool to do custom trans ratios. Any idea what that costs to have done? Better cruising mileage and better power out of the hole would be the best of both worlds. I feel like a tranny ratio change might achieve some of this without the hassle of getting custom rear gears.
$3,295, exchange. Includes polished and chryoed gears, upgraded synchros, stronger shift forks, and 750 + Lbft. capacity.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Would be nice but id much rather spend 300 bucks on 4.10 gears than 3300 lol

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Yeah if 4.10's become a reality and aren't some astronomical price as the op says...... I'm in. I may have to re-ratio my trans at that point though too...... well at least 5th and 6th gears. It buzzes almost as high as my 4.10 geared 4L80e equipped trucks as is...... 4.10's would just get annoying lol.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Cruising RPM really shouldnt be that much different...like 11% I believe.

at 75 with a stock tire height you should be about 2200 RPM at 75 mph

at 75 with a 4.10 it would take you to 2400~

But consider this, at 125 mph I would be crossing the traps at 5760 with a 3.73

with a 4.10 I would be making use of the meat of my power band at coming through at 6330 at 125 mph....basically what I am saying is the 4.10s will make a noticeable difference on the track and not so much cruising RPM.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
And that 2200 is already annoying especially with exhaust.... Really I just want the 0.5:1 6th gear ratio.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
And that 2200 is already annoying especially with exhaust.... Really I just want the 0.5:1 6th gear ratio.

Sometime s cars drone at 2k and not at like 2500 but i agree. That .5 would be nice 6th gear

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Its not necessarily drone all the time. Its just everything increases in noise the higher speed you go and particularily maintaining speed and increasing rpm. I don't find my car particularly well insulated either.... hell my 9 year old GMC truck is quieter for any and all exterior noise than this thing is... I might as well be driving a Neon for as far as road noise and whatnot goes. Slowing the engine noise down wouldn't be a bad thing.
And I guess dynamat or something throughout the car as well.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hmm. I find the car pretty quiet. I do have my dodge half ton completely dynamatted. Roof. Floor. Doors. All of it.

The caddy has dynamatted in the trunk which might help more than I thought.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Yeah I need to drive mine again... .. the more it sits the more I have no use to even look at it. But.... its getting torn down asap for our dyno day.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts