Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I installed a Mamo ported LS7 TB on my 2012 sedan a few days ago....

First, communication with Tony was great - quick responses to questions and all the information I needed to make a decision/selection. Shipping was timely, and packing neat.

I did notice and remove some tiny aluminum chips from the porting that were stuck to some places in what seemed to be a factory oil coating. I cleaned it out with TB cleaner and lightly oiled the pivot points.

The LS7 TB is a tight fit compared to the stock LSA TB. The electrical connection barely reached, but it did. Also, actuator housing sits only a few millimeters from the stock upper SC pulley, and the main engine cover sort of rests on top of it when put back on. Regardless, it does fit, and everything looks good in there.

Before going further, my reason for doing this was for driveability. I felt like when coming off a stop it was granny-like unless I put more foot into it than I thought I should have to...like there was a dead zone...and then I would have to back off after it decided to get going. It was similar in upper gears during normal driving. I was never chasing more power with this mod - when I put my foot way in it reacted as I would want. So, after much information gleaned from this site..here we are.

I did an idle relearn, turned ignition, and it fired up the same as it always had. Tip-in through mid-throttle are magically, linearly, connected now. I really can't express how pleased I am. I had been nervous that all the ported TB talk was hyperbole, but it provided exactly what I was looking for.

Three round-trips to work (200 miles) and no codes, no rough idles, just more natural and spirited driving.

I went with Tony Mamo due to feedback here and elsewhere, and although I don't have experience with the other offerings out here, I would definitely recommend it.

Just my two cents, drive safe.

(only other mod - Airaid intake)

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
Love my mamo ported ls7 tb, almost scared to go to the 102mm that I have on my shelf but I think my air needs will be such that it will be worth some power.

seriously though, anyone who asks me about what mods to start with, even a ported 87mm made a world of difference, the 90mm ported by mamo was, as you put it, magical.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What’s the easiest way to get a hold of him? How long did it take to get? I need to do this. Thanks for the post

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was perfectly happy with my stock TB - never noticed any of the hesitation or unresponsiveness that people mention. Got a wild deal on a stock size mamo so I went for it and didn't notice any difference. I'm sure it's helping and adding a tiny amount of power at certain RPM's.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does the LS7 TB gain any power over the LSA TB in a relatively stock application, or once other mods are added? At what point would one need to upgrade the TB for performance improvements?
My 2011 is still under warranty for the next 6 months, so I installed a Vitesse throttle controller to help with the lack of responsiveness, and so far that seems to work quite well. (Airaid here as well....)
The "granny-like" stock throttle response just doesn't suit a car like the CTS-V.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I only have a cai at tge moment and i have been told to do a TB because it will be a goon mod for my stock motor. I just haven't decided should i go with the ported Ls7 or get a 102.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the LS7 TB gain any power over the LSA TB in a relatively stock application, or once other mods are added? At what point would one need to upgrade the TB for performance improvements?
My 2011 is still under warranty for the next 6 months, so I installed a Vitesse throttle controller to help with the lack of responsiveness, and so far that seems to work quite well. (Airaid here as well....)
The "granny-like" stock throttle response just doesn't suit a car like the CTS-V.
I would not expect any real power gains from a ported TB in a mostly stock application. It seems to me the issue is GM engineered the TB to be very mild unless it gets a lot of input (foot) from the driver. Being a luxury car, and trying to please everyone, they decided to design it this way. It likely suits a majority of V owners. The ported LSA vs the ported LS7 will both work fine on near-stock setups, but I have seen posts here about the LS7 TB throwing codes, etc. in a small percentage of users. The flip side is the LS7 can handle more air, and will cover more aggressive setups to a point.

If your throttle controller is doing the job for you, and you're keeping it stockish, sounds like you're in a good spot

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ls7 is fine for most lesser power levels and supposed to be easier to tune.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I only have a cai at tge moment and i have been told to do a TB because it will be a goon mod for my stock motor. I just haven't decided should i go with the ported Ls7 or get a 102.
From my understanding, and you can research here easily, the 102 is really only for highly modified cars with lots of upgrades such that the TB becomes a restriction. With just CAI you are good with ported stock or LS7. If you are after power gains, this won't do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From my understanding, and you can research here easily, the 102 is really only for highly modified cars with lots of upgrades such that the TB becomes a restriction. With just CAI you are good with ported stock or LS7. If you are after power gains, this won't do it.
Thats understandable. But when i was looking i noticed they have like packages i thought about going ahead and have snout and blower ported to. I do planned on doing a cam. I just dont want to be doing things twice you know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would not expect any real power gains from a ported TB in a mostly stock application. It seems to me the issue is GM engineered the TB to be very mild unless it gets a lot of input (foot) from the driver. Being a luxury car, and trying to please everyone, they decided to design it this way. It likely suits a majority of V owners. The ported LSA vs the ported LS7 will both work fine on near-stock setups, but I have seen posts here about the LS7 TB throwing codes, etc. in a small percentage of users. The flip side is the LS7 can handle more air, and will cover more aggressive setups to a point.

If your throttle controller is doing the job for you, and you're keeping it stockish, sounds like you're in a good spot
The car will stay pretty much stock until the warranty runs out, then let the fun begin!
Not knowing what a ported LS7 TB responds like, I don't really have a frame of reference to compare the throttle controller I have. I can however say that at level 9 it's a bit too responsive for certain driving conditions.

Good to hear that you're enjoying the better driveability, and not experiencing any codes or issues with the install of your LS7 TB. I've heard nothing but good things about products from Tony Mamo.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I’m a 2.4 pulley, airraid, ID850, ported snout, tuned ride with mamo ported LSA TB. I always wondered if a ported LS7 would make any measurable difference over the LSA in my case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m a 2.4 pulley, airraid, ID850, ported snout, tuned ride with mamo ported LSA TB. I always wondered if a ported LS7 would make any measurable difference over the LSA in my case.
I don't think it would be very measurable, but I'm curious too - I intend to do a 2.4 or 2.55 upper, get a tune, and call it good for a while. After you did the upper pulley, did you reinforce or replace the stock intercooler? I've heard they don't hold up well to increased boost, but wondering where that line is drawn.

Also, did you need the 850's to match fuel for the boost increase in the 2.4?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats understandable. But when i was looking i noticed they have like packages i thought about going ahead and have snout and blower ported to. I do planned on doing a cam. I just dont want to be doing things twice you know.
I get you about doing things twice. If you're doing a stage-x package from a tuner shop I would just let them guide you.

·
Registered
418 Posts
After you did the upper pulley, did you reinforce or replace the stock intercooler? I've heard they don't hold up well to increased boost, but wondering where that line is drawn.

Also, did you need the 850's to match fuel for the boost increase in the 2.4?
Yeah, I had brick reinforced and did cooling mods. I’ve heard about brick collapse even at stock boost. It’s cheap insurance.

My tuner felt you really really should do the injectors with the pulley.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A good ported 90mm will get you a long way up the power curve before you need to worry about going to the 102mm. A cam and ported blower IMO, you will still be fine with the 90mm, I'd say unless you are going aftermarket heads, full Stage 5 blower port, a healthy cam, headers.. I'd keep that $800+ in my pocket for now. Also look at a car with a 102 in it, because its a tight (shoehorn) fit..

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
707 Posts
87mm vs 90mm

Reactions: MYV

·
Jaguar
870 Posts
Ported my own stock TB a while back; just blended out that square lip with a dremel and created a more shallow entry angle for the air. Finished up by polishing the unit and blade with some 1000 grit paper. Got the same tip in results that everybody loves and can honestly say the car got into boost a little easier and more linear; just felt less forced to get her going as the OP more or less stated. Kept the core I had bought from someone here for a week or 2 to watch for codes, all was good.

Not trying to take away from Tony, he does awesome work; I just had a DIY itch I had to scratch.

But it took me probably 2 weeks as I would remove a little material, polish, test drive and repeat. On the last "revision" is when I polished the blade; I didn't get it back in perfectly centered so the blade couldn't index properly on start up and car kept running like it had a 5" cam lift for about 5 seconds and would die. Took me a day to figure out my numb nuts mistake. In hindsight, it was a fun little project to do but Tony's work is well worth the money and lack of potential headaches.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts