Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CTS V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do they want the claim - better throttle response? Does it affect emissions? Thinking of going with Soler Performance TB

2018 Stock with RotoFab CAI

thanks for help
Rich

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
If your happy with the performance of the car, then don't.
They typically don't provide for more HP.

They can be a 'Hassle'.
They can burn up a lot of dyno time looking for the best tune.

If you find the tune, then sometimes the car feels more responsive.
That's about it in my opinion. .lol

Cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agree, it's hit and miss and just went through this myself and gave up. If you're in the miss group, you'll have negative timing at idle and your headers or manifold will get super hot. Would need to figure out the external load and virtual torque tables in hptuners to adjust. I was able to get my timing back, but the transition from idle to normal wasn't right and I didn't like it and gave up. Some have zero issues. If you try, make sure to disconnect battery so tb can relearn

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'll chime in and let you know that I installed a Soler Performance TB and have run it for the past season and a half without any issue. Did I notice any improvement in immediate off-idle throttle response from stock? Mmm, I have to report no. That being said, I believe the ported TB is working with my combination at WOT.

However I will say that throttle response noticeably improved after I installed an aftermarket torque converter. ;)
Picture frame Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
In this industry, if something within the induction system is ported,
we expect it to flow more air, and make more HP.

Several years back we had a 5-Hour Dyno session with a Ported TB. It was another brand though.

We tried everything, and could not make
more HP or improve the Torque with it.

We called the company regarding this.

They told us that was not why they sold those units.
They told us it was to improve drivability.

If you, like me, like fast cars, and spend money to make it faster, then these so called ported TB's are not for me, as they do not add HP on the Dyno.

If you like them for any other reason, then. . .Go For It..lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
In this industry, if something within the induction system is ported,
we expect it to flow more air, and make more HP.

Several years back we had a 5-Hour Dyno session with a Ported TB. It was another brand though.

We tried everything, and could not make
more HP or improve the Torque with it.

We called the company regarding this.

They told us that was not why they sold those units.
They told us it was to improve drivability.

If you, like me, like fast cars, and spend money to make it faster, then these so called ported TB's are not for me, as they do not add HP on the Dyno.

If you like them for any other reason, then. . .Go For It..lol
I think next season, in the name of science, I am going to make some laps with the stock TB and see what happens. I have a sneaking suspicion there won't be much change, if any at all. But it will be a good "science" experiment with real results! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Rubber Duck

·
Vendor
13,657 Posts
With an extremely large sample size I can say that there is no reason to touch the stock TB unless you need to go to a 103 or 112mm.

Some get the placebo effect of thinking they can feel a difference but it does not show in the data collected. There will always be a market for relatively inexpensive parts that can be installed easily and do not require tuning.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
With an extremely large sample size I can say that there is no reason to touch the stock TB unless you need to go to a 103 or 112mm.

Some get the placebo effect of thinking they can feel a difference but it does not show in the data collected. There will always be a market for relatively inexpensive parts that can be installed easily and do not require tuning.
Engine CFM Demand, and Flow Area determine velocity.

-without quantifiable HP data regarding your remarks above-
From reading such remarks as yours above, as well as others on this forum over the years, it appears the sensitivity to velocity regarding the TB, might not be noticed, until the entire cold air package in front of the TB is optimized.

Typically, regarding street / strip engines, we desire to see a
'mean value' velocity profile, ranging from a low of about
240 fps, to about 265 fps, through the entire intake tract.

The additional air demand of an 556 fwHP engine, to one making
900 fwHP, would be about 516 CFM. That's a pretty pretty large
delta, and the delta variance of the velocity, would also be large.

When do you feel that the larger TB's need to be fitted. . . .

·
Vendor
13,657 Posts
I was speaking more about ported stock throttle bodies being not worth doing. If you are making over 700whp the 103s start to show decent gains with the right intake in front of them. The 112 starts to have a benefit over the 103 above 975whp or so in my testing. Regarding LS or LT engines running blowers with Eaton rotors.

A ported stock TB or 90mm show no gains vs stock that I have seen

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I was speaking more about ported stock throttle bodies being not worth doing. If you are making over 700whp the 103s start to show decent gains with the right intake in front of them. The 112 starts to have a benefit over the 103 above 975whp or so in my testing. Regarding LS or LT engines running blowers with Eaton rotors.

A ported stock TB or 90mm show no gains vs stock that I have seen
Good way to end the year…
It seems we agree… L O L

And it seems the useable sizing of the TB, is directly related to
the efficiency of the cold air intake system in front of it.

So determining which cold air system is correct for one’s HP
goal, would then appear to be the first issue one should deal with.

Cheers

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
670 Posts
I have a Soler TB and it smoothed out the throttle response.

Reactions: Rich 16
1 - 13 of 13 Posts