Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
OEM-ISH Coupe
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a month or two or three, I've been troubleshooting a popping sound coming from my front suspension during maneuvering at parking lot speeds. Most often noticed after a hard steering input in either direction and in forward and reverse. Only happens once going forward until the car is reversed again then occurs in reverse until the car is moved forward again. I went through most of the similar threads on this forum that the search turned up and troubleshot accordingly, LCA bolts, wheel mating surfaces, end links, etc. Ultimately a friend and I had it on a lift and he asked me about the cradle mounting bolts, I hadn't even considered that a suspect. As he informed me that aluminum compresses a little over time he put a socket and breaker bar together and the very first bolt he got on, he got a full half turn out of it before it seemed appropriately tight enough. No we didn't put a torque wrench on it as of yet. I'll be doing that later tomorrow. That was just another "lets have a look" session. This resolved my issue and I'm just posting for anyone that may be having similar issues as a PSA. In addition to all the other things that should be checked you should also check the front subframe (cradle) mount bolts. The two aft bolts (#1) are 180 ft/lbs and the four forward bolts (#2) are 141 ft/lbs.

Good luck and happy wrenching...

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Been hearing a noise in the front end when backing into the driveway so it sounds like I need to get mine on a lift.

·
Premium Member
OEM-ISH Coupe
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're welcome. I put a torque wrench on mine today. I only had the one bolt below torque spec. Bolt head sizes are 21 and 24mm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
When I owned my V1, the dealer left the cradle bolts loose when they changed motor mounts under warranty. The car would sit listing to the drivers side as there were no bolts in the passenger side. The dealer said the bolts fell out because I abused the car and would not repair it. I bought the two bolts from another GM dealer and installed them and torqued all of the bolts myself.

The point I am trying to make is always check the torque on the cradle bolts (front or rear) when anyone works on your CTS-V, especially a dealer or an inexperienced mechanic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice. Good advice.
I changed out my lower control arms, should have done the upper at the same time.
Spun the upper ball joint because of the nylon nut seizing up on me. Had to improvise...
Small rattle in parking lots is getting tiresome.

New uppers delivered from rockauto and working it this weekend! :LOL::cool:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Lol that's a new way to get a spinning ball joint out. Next time grab a bud and a pry bar. Have them pry down on the upper so it forces the conical shape of the ball joint pack into the spindle. Sometimes it takes some force, but this way you can assemble the same way and not waste perfectly good ball joints!

·
Premium Member
OEM-ISH Coupe
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I owned my V1, the dealer left the cradle bolts loose when they changed motor mounts under warranty. The car would sit listing to the drivers side as there were no bolts in the passenger side. The dealer said the bolts fell out because I abused the car and would not repair it. I bought the two bolts from another GM dealer and installed them and torqued all of the bolts myself.
The point I am trying to make is always check the torque on the cradle bolts (front or rear) when anyone works on your CTS-V, especially a dealer or an inexperienced mechanic.
My friend that was helping me has his own shop and has retired from a local Cadillac dealership. He also put a wrench on my lower control bolts even knowing I just paid a different GM dealership for an alignment and asked them specifically to check those. He said you can't trust anything the dealerships say they did...
Nice. Good advice.
I changed out my lower control arms, should have done the upper at the same time.
Spun the upper ball joint because of the nylon nut seizing up on me. Had to improvise...
Small rattle in parking lots is getting tiresome.

View attachment 150211
New uppers delivered from rockauto and working it this weekend! :LOL::cool:
I can't rest either especially with suspension noises, Particularly during high speed trips to Mexico...

·
Registered
915 Posts
The missing cradle bolts reminds me of a missing half shaft bolt I had after a dealer did a diff swap. They tried blaming me accusing me of various things that didn't happen for them not torquing a torque critical joint.

I'm glad I looked in here because I needed the cradle bolt torques after my sway bar swap. Knowing people have issues reinforces my desire to torque them over just making them tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts