Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my car for about 9 months, and just noticed play in the steering wheel fore and aft about a 1/4", is this normal? Anyone experience this? The play would be along the centerline of the column.

·
Super Moderator
8,632 Posts
I was just doing a search for this the other day. Mine has play in it just as you described. I just installed some headers in my car which meant I had to disconnect part of the steering shaft. I can't remember definitively if there was play before, but I'd have to assume so since I've noticed it much more since the install. I'll get back down there one of these days and re-tighten everything.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not like it's loose or anything, it takes a little pressure to get it to move. But I do notice it now. I'm not real worried about it, just wondered if it was normal.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Gauging play in the steering gear by hand can be challenging, there are many things in the steering gear that are intentionally soft and squishy, and those things need to bend and stretch under load before stuff starts to move. If you are determining "play" by wiggling the steering wheel and looking for motion at the tires, you're likely just seeing the "torsional windup" of all the various bushings in the steering. It's not "play" if you don't feel or hear sounds indicative of actual "lash" someplace. You could still have excessive slop from soft/tired bushings, and the net-net won't be a lot different than if you had actual play. But if what you're describing is that you can move the steering wheel a little before you feel the front tires "pushing back", that's probably just Cadillac doing it's best to isolate you from the harsh road surface...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This has nothing to do with turning right to left. I'm talking about play in telescoping column. In and out play.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I pulled the lower plastic kick panel off under the dash, and there are a couple of torx screws pointing up that are pretty evident. I would post a picture, but it's unbelievably hard to do on a phone.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
awesome!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Maybe this will work? Torque to 71 lb. in.
Noticed this 1/4 inch movement on mine today. Going to get under there and tighten these. Any other things to tighten in these racks?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Add some grease too. Resolved my squeaky steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Add some grease too. Resolved my squeaky steering wheel.
Where is this? Do I remove the two left and right plastics on the column or just the plastics under dash near pedals?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I lubed the joints and 2 bolts in the column under the car just inside the driver's side front wheel. Common problem after installing headers.

Resolved the slack and squeak.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So weird, I took out one of those under dash bolts and had to realign it to go straight but I out loctite on the torx screw and tightened the other. The steering feels improved just from doing that. I think everyone should check them

·
Registered
168 Posts
So weird, I took out one of those under dash bolts and had to realign it to go straight but I out loctite on the torx screw and tightened the other. The steering feels improved just from doing that. I think everyone should check them

All I see is update your account to enable 3rd party hosting :confused: anyone have an actual pic of these torx screws? And what size do I need to tighten it up? I'd assume I need the right size as torx for sure isn't like a flat or philips head...:confused:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
All I see is update your account to enable 3rd party hosting :confused: anyone have an actual pic of these torx screws? And what size do I need to tighten it up? I'd assume I need the right size as torx for sure isn't like a flat or philips head...:confused:
If you take off the under dash plastic and look up you will see 2 silver torx screws on the steering rack. They are Torx T30 IIRC. if you decide to remove one to Loctite just make sure you realize you will have to move the steering wheel to the exact spot it was in to line up the screw properly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts