Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

381 - 400 of 407 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Update after using the Metra kit and Kenwood DDX9906XR for a while:

Still liking it. Only issue I have to date is phone calls causing the HU to reboot once call is completed. I noticed it after installing and using wireless AA. Not sure what that's about but for me it's a minor inconvenience. I need to take the unit out and reinitialize it to see if that helps, I also need to turn the gain down as I'm only able to turn the volume up to about 16 max - anything over that is too loud and the volume control goes up to like 40 or something. But those issues are minor enough I haven't cared to take it apart to fix.

More on the reboot - I notice anytime the HU receives a phone call, when it hangs up either from taking the call or cancelling the call, the radio automatically reboots. Not sure if it's a bluetooth thing or what. But I plan to re-initialize the Metra kit and see if that helps. If not, oh well.

I did find a possible workaround for using the torque app on AA capable HU's but it's geared towards the camero. I'll take a stab at it and see if I can get it to work. I'd really like to monitor more than 2 parameters the Aeroforce gives me.

Link is here if anyone else wants to try. Real Time Gauges for Android Auto ? Tampa Bay Camaros

I have everything ready, just need time to install/play with it. But I have a feeling this won't pan out either. Might go with dual Aeroforce gauges unless I decide to try out an AppRadio (likely not).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dashcommand is an app you need a App capable radio in order to utilize. Pioneer's AppRadio does support Dashcommand as shown in this thread. Most newer aftermarket headunits come with video inputs for front and rear cams, just check the headunit specs.

Crutchfield said my Kenwood DDX-9906XR would not fit but I had no issues so, while Crutchfield is a good resource, they are not always 100% correct. I'm not too keen on the App options on the Kenwood units - or lack thereof. But I do like the display and other features. IMPORTANT - iDatalink Maestro is not supported for the CTS-V so unfortunately we're SOL - don't even bother going there. Sucks having the capability with an awesome headunit but no support for your vehicle platform.

Seems like the two common HU's are the Kenwood's and the Pioneer AppRadio's. I'm happy with my selection. I do wish I had more App support like the AppRadio's but my main focus was wireless Android Auto and high-def display with TC panel.

I'm going to try a workaround I saw on one of the camero threads that display the Torque App on basically any AA capable radio, factory or aftermarket, so we'll see how that goes.
Thanks
What kenwoods would you recommend that are app compatible ?

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Thanks
What kenwoods would you recommend that are app compatible ?
With Kenwood you're relying on Android Auto or Apple Carplay to use apps. You'll have to look up Carplay and Android Auto to see what apps are supported. Personally I'm partial to the DNX996 (nav) or DDX9906 (non-nav) due to the high def screen. They both fit with the Metra kit. I never really looked much into other Kenwood units but they have a few that are just as capable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Might just buy a pioneer middle of the road unit and call it
It's already proven that it works

I just need to find one that has 2 camera Jacks for front and rear

My 2010 has a reverse camera 'mod' works like oem
Unit comes up in reverse

Camera is shit though

Might move it to the front or just buy 2
new cameras

·
Registered
95 Posts
Somethings that's throwing me off... The metra website specifically says this does not work for wagons. Obviously, there are wagon owners who have installed and seem happy with it, but I just can't understand why Metra would say that on their website.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I understand a double din head unit requires some trimming to the inner dash. Has anyone looked into a single din and would it require trimming of the factory dash. A double to single din plate would need to be used and the extra space may allow for extra switches and/or gauges.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-3500NEX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I dont see why you cant use Single Din, you'd just have an opening. Gotta figure out what to do with that space. Either put a plate to cover it up, or put a pocket in there to store things. Just gotta figure out how to attach it to the Metra panel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Somethings that's throwing me off... The metra website specifically says this does not work for wagons. Obviously, there are wagon owners who have installed and seem happy with it, but I just can't understand why Metra would say that on their website.
Should be the same across all body style since they all use the same radio/dash.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I understand a double din head unit requires some trimming to the inner dash. Has anyone looked into a single din and would it require trimming of the factory dash. A double to single din plate would need to be used and the extra space may allow for extra switches and/or gauges.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-3500NEX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No trimming needed for a double DIN. My Kenwood was tight, but fit right in. The only thing is routing the wires to make the most of the space.

Reactions: PPV

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gonna pull the trigger soon on it just need to find the right pioneer deck I like

Might just get the one listed here since it seems to work

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Gonna pull the trigger soon on it just need to find the right pioneer deck I like

Probably can't even find one and really probably shouldn't. The original post was in 2016 that's a long time in tech.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

Probably can't even find one and really probably shouldn't. The original post was in 2016 that's a long time in tech.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone done this on a 2009 or 2010 and added the rear camera? Mine is a 2010 and I have a rear camera retrofitted, like when I go in reverse my HU comes up and I can see the back

The camera quality sucks, but that will change eventually.

Are you guys able to add a reverse camera still?

I just added almost everything to the cart

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Has anyone done this on a 2009 or 2010 and added the rear camera? Mine is a 2010 and I have a rear camera retrofitted, like when I go in reverse my HU comes up and I can see the back

Lots of V's here with an aftermarket HU and backup cam added.

·
Registered
129 Posts

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has added the aftermarket camera with their head unit. I have a 2010 with no factory backup camera. Where are people mounting these camera? I expect to have to run a wire from HU to rear of car.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd also like to hear from anyone who has added the aftermarket camera with their head unit. I have a 2010 with no factory backup camera. Where are people mounting these camera? I expect to have to run a wire from HU to rear of car.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Here's the parts list I used when I upgraded 4 months ago:

Dont judge how cheap that camera is, its pretty damn sharp and have yet to have any issue with it. Sharp even at night with low lighting.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Here's the parts list I used when I upgraded 4 months ago:

Dont judge how cheap that camera is, its pretty damn sharp and have yet to have any issue with it. Sharp even at night with low lighting.
Ray, are you going to Rob's? I'd like to see your new set up. R

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just installed this a few weeks ago. What Ive noticed is that the metra kit hates my dash logic! When its plugged in, the radio will stop working,and the AC controls stop working too. I realized this the other day after re-initializing and updating the unit a few times. Now that I have dashlogic unplugged, everything works perfectly.

What is everyone using to watch IAT's that does not interfere with the metra kit?

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Just installed this a few weeks ago. What Ive noticed is that the metra kit hates my dash logic! When its plugged in, the radio will stop working,and the AC controls stop working too. I realized this the other day after re-initializing and updating the unit a few times. Now that I have dashlogic unplugged, everything works perfectly.

What is everyone using to watch IAT's that does not interfere with the metra kit?
Aeroforce Interceptor gauge - used to be where the clock was but moved to the cubby on the bottom with the Metra kit install. Replaced lighter with a USB port. A little low for my liking but it works. Newer radios have the ability for gauge readouts but we lack the linking ability.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Aeroforce Interceptor gauge - used to be where the clock was but moved to the cubby on the bottom with the Metra kit install. Replaced lighter with a USB port. A little low for my liking but it works. Newer radios have the ability for gauge readouts but we lack the linking ability.
I may have to go with something on the double din, That aeroforce only displays two things. I have to re-read through this thread about the dashcommand stuff. See if that works too.

381 - 400 of 407 Posts