Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get the Pierburg CWA-100 pump, DMS is offering the 150 in place of the 100 claiming its a better pump.
But from what I've read the CWA-150 only pumps 10gpm compared to the CWA-100 12gpm?
Can anyone help me understand why the 150 is said to be a better pump?

·
Premium Member
16,456 Posts
Because it has a bigger number, duh!

(With that said, I'd be inclined to believe DMS)

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because it has a bigger number, duh!

(With that said, I'd be inclined to believe DMS)

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Not sure what having a bigger number means!
It’s not that I don’t believe them, I just wanted to understand how when the CWA-100 pumps 12gpm which is more then the 10gpm the cwa-150 pumps. I emailed them but haven’t gotten an answer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
more flow takes away more heat, i just took this quote from another site it is not mine but the site goes in very deep about engine cooling
''A good example of this law can be seen when quenching a red-hot piece of steel in a bucket of water. At first, the temperature difference (delta-T) between the red-hot steel and the water is huge - therefore the initial heat transfer occurs at a great rate - the steel initially cools very fast - almost instantaneously. However, after this initial cooling, the delta-T is much smaller, so the remaining cooling occurs much more slowly. If you removed the steel after a second or two - it has cooled a lot - but it will still be warm. To continue cooling the steel to the temp. of the water, you have to leave it in there quite a bit longer - because as it cools - the rate of cooling continually decreases as well. In short - initial cooling is fast, but subsequent cooling occurs more and more slowly until cooling that last little bit takes a long time.
So what does this mean? Basically it means, the longer the coolant stays in the rad, the less efficient the cooling that takes place is - to the point that the rate of cooling is so slow as to be detrimental to overall system cooling. Better to dump the big load of heat right away and go back quickly for another load than hang about waiting for a last little bit of insignificant cooling to happen."

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
more flow takes away more heat, i just took this quote from another site it is not mine but the site goes in very deep about engine cooling

So what does this mean? Basically it means, the longer the coolant stays in the rad, the less efficient the cooling that takes place is - to the point that the rate of cooling is so slow as to be detrimental to overall system cooling. Better to dump the big load of heat right away and go back quickly for another load than hang about waiting for a last little bit of insignificant cooling to happen."
So wouldn’t that mean the cwa-100 is better since it pumps more gallons per minute?

·
Registered
197 Posts
So wouldn’t that mean the cwa-100 is better since it pumps more gallons per minute?
should be, unless it dosnt work well with too much head pressure or something

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The answers are out there. There must be some way to find them. Oh, I know. I'll use Google. Boy, am I smart to figure that out all by myself.

Pierburg CWA150

The CWA150 is basically the high pressure variant of the CWA100-3 we are also offering. The dimensions and the weight are nearly the same.
New are the freshly designed impeller and impeller housing to accommodate for the higher differential pressures.
It is suitable for various systems in electrical vehicles and anything else that profits from that higher pressure capability.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
They are offering it as a replacement because they can’t source the 100. Plain and simple. The 150 requires more amps than the stock wires can handle without voltage drop. When the voltage drops, the flow drops. The 150 is only better above about 9psi system pressure. So it depends on your intercooler loop as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts