Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pics - Satin Black & Gloss Black Two Tone Conversion on all Exterior Chrome Pieces CTS-V Sedan

Hey guys,

I decided to paint all of the chrome on my car to satin black and gloss black. Let me know what you think! Next up is a set of 20" Forgestar CF10's in Satin Black.

Paint details:
  • Front mesh grilles - gloss black outer surround trim, satin black honeycomb inner grilles
  • Front Cadillac Emblem - Gloss black
  • Brake ducts/fog light housing - Satin black on main piece, gloss black on circle around the fog light
  • Front splitters/lip - satin black
  • Side fender grilles - gloss black
  • Side V Badge - gloss black
  • Window Trim - gloss black
  • Rear Cadillac Emblem - gloss black
  • Rear Trunk Handle - gloss black
  • Rear V and CTS badge - gloss black
  • Rear Lower Diffuser - satin black

ModBargains-Cadillac-CTS-V (2).jpg ModBargains-Cadillac-CTS-V (3).jpg ModBargains-Cadillac-CTS-V (4).jpg ModBargains-Cadillac-CTS-V (6).jpg ModBargains-Cadillac-CTS-V (7).jpg

·
Registered
753 Posts
Zzz.

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Love black trim on the white. Looks great. What kind of paint did you use? Do yourself?

·
Premium Member
2,155 Posts
I love it! That was why I originally was looking for a white wagon, damn it.

I have been playing around with powder coating gloss and flat black on the same wheel. Your car is a perfect candidate for that color scheme. Maybe just the face of the wheel gloss black and all other surfaces of the wheel flat black.

·
Tree Hugger
3,789 Posts
looks great! white and black always a good combo. powdercoat the wheels black to finish the look.

what the paint job set you back? i got a quote from a local shop to do similar and they wanted over $1k. i ended up spending $30 on three cans of plasti-dip lol but the painted finish looks much more class.

·
Registered
471 Posts
That looks amazing, I want to paint all the chrome on my wagon matte black.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Looks sweet!! I hope it holds up after all that work

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Car looks awesome!!

I have been playing around with powder coating gloss and flat black on the same wheel. Your car is a perfect candidate for that color scheme. Maybe just the face of the wheel gloss black and all other surfaces of the wheel flat black.
^^ I'd like to see this, I bet it would look pretty sweet.

I'd black the fog light bezels as well.

·
Registered
679 Posts
What paint did you use to paint the front grills? Did you shoot them or was it out of a rattle can?

You car is gonna look similar to mine... Flat black CF5s here on white, but I've color matched the trunk trim and side grilles.

·
Vendor
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for all of the compliments. I took it to body shop locally. I can't publish the rate here as they did it at their cost for me as I do a lot of business to business transactions with them where they pick up bumpers/hoods/spoilers from my shop for their customers. If you PM me, I can let you know so you know the base rate of what they said their COST is on the job, and that gives you a good negotiating point with your own local shop.

The lower grilles WILL get rock chips. I already see a couple. The mesh part of the grilles is plastic, which takes powdercoating out of the options. The clear coat on the satin black is pretty thin (more clear = more gloss) so it's not very durable. I'll probably have to re-shoot it every 3-6 months depending on my luck. I might do it gloss black next time for more durability and see how it looks, but I LOVE the two-tone look of the gloss badge on the satin grilles. I could also try plastidipping the mesh instead of painting it, to keep the two tone look.

Everything was fully removed from the car to be painted in a spray booth. Here are some pics of the work in progress:

inprocess1.jpg inprocess2.jpg inprocess3.jpg inprocess4.jpg

As far as the wheels go, doing a two tone powdercoat is VERY difficult. Having seen the powdercoating process at a couple shops in person, taping off clean lines during a powdercoat process is nearly impossible. It's EASY to do on 3 piece wheels with multiple pieces you can spray one at a time, but nearly impossible to do it cleaning on a 1 piece wheel like the Forgestar CF10. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I don't want to be annoying to my friends at Forgestar haha.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
personally i would say do gloss black. I don't like the spray painted black wheel look :/

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Hey guys,

I decided to paint all of the chrome on my car to satin black and gloss black. Let me know what you think! Next up is a set of 20" Forgestar CF10's in Satin Black.

Paint details:
  • Front mesh grilles - gloss black outer surround trim, satin black honeycomb inner grilles
  • Front Cadillac Emblem - Gloss black
  • Brake ducts/fog light housing - Satin black on main piece, gloss black on circle around the fog light
  • Front splitters/lip - satin black
  • Side fender grilles - gloss black
  • Side V Badge - gloss black
  • Window Trim - gloss black
  • Rear Cadillac Emblem - gloss black
  • Rear Trunk Handle - gloss black
  • Rear V and CTS badge - gloss black
  • Rear Lower Diffuser - satin black

View attachment 5817 View attachment 5818 View attachment 5819 View attachment 5820 View attachment 5821
Looks Great! Really makes it pop..............never was a fan of the Matte finish

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks good! I am going to do many of the same pieces on my silver V with Plasti-dip as soon as the weather warms up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts