·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i thought the recommended jacking points is the frame not the pinch welds?

Interesting. I guess I never looked that close at the picture shown here...and because it isn't in the manual. I know a lot of people use the pinch welds as the rocker panels are cut out specifically to expose the pinch welds

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
617 Posts
You jack by pinch weld. In the rear, there is a strengthening strut that prevents the permanent installation of any lifting puck. I run 2 permanents on the front jack points, and keep 2 tall polymer pucks in the trunk that are able to give some with the irregular strut/pinch weld surface profile.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect. Thanks y'all. I just put the front ones on and I already have hockey pucks that should work for the rear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would recommend using something other than pucks for the rear so you don’t “bend” the pinch weld. Just my recommendation, which is why I recommended the ZL-1 Add-Ons jack pad. There is also an optional puck that can be purchased from ZL-1 Add Ons that slides onto the magnetic jack pad. I use the jack pad with the optional puck…works great with no body damage.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
617 Posts
I would recommend using something other than pucks for the rear so you don’t “bend” the pinch weld. Just my recommendation, which is why I recommended the ZL-1 Add-Ons jack pad. There is also an optional puck that can be purchased from ZL-1 Add Ons that slides onto the magnetic jack pad. I use the jack pad with the optional puck…works great with no body damage.
I have both. The polymer TALL lifting puck does not damage the pinch weld. In fact, doing so is virtually impossible with that stiffening brace right next to it. The slot in the puck just widens over time to accomodate both flanges.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed with Rboughne1. With the puck, the jack doesn't mar the pinch weld. The puck just gets groves in it.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I guess that is an improvement on V3 over V2, using the pinches. I had a tire shop lift my V2 using what they thought was a lifting site up front....bent/bowed my front fenders out.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i cant even get a jack in the center of the front of the car, car is too low even with driving up on a 2x6 I can just get my low profile jack under the rockers but I ALWAYS lift from the frame not the pinch welds. I dont know why you would lift from the pinch welds and even take the chance when it states to lift from the frame?
Rob - I forget - do you have a V2 or V3? My V2 was too low to get under and I always used the frame on that, but the V3 has cutouts in the rocker to expose the pinch weld and it seems almost everyone jacks the car up from there.

Reactions: RobF300

·
Premium Member
13,750 Posts
yeah im an idiot for not realizing I was in the V3 forum lol
I think if i were using a puck I would make the slit myself and not rely on the car to do it for me

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah im an idiot for not realizing I was in the V3 forum lol
I think if i were using a puck I would make the slit myself and not rely on the car to do it for me
All good man. It would probably be a good idea to make splits myself

·
Registered
2019 Black Raven
7 Posts
This may be a silly question but I just picked up a 2019 V and am wondering if there is enough room on the jack point to lift the car with a floor jack and get a jack stand next to it for longer term support.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
617 Posts
This may be a silly question but I just picked up a 2019 V and am wondering if there is enough room on the jack point to lift the car with a floor jack and get a jack stand next to it for longer term support.
Barely to Nope. It sucks. Get a small $100 aluminum jack, and a small jack stand. If you're mounting a permanent jack pad to the pinch weld, mount it as far forward or back as the rocker cutout allows to maximize jack stand room with a jack in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.