Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Service Airbag notification on the DIC as well as the red airbag light for a couple of weeks and finally got it into the dealership to diagnose it. They told me that it‘s due to a Passenger Presence Module and to replace it requires the entire seat cushion (Recaro seats) - which they quoted me ~$1500 to replace IF they could find one as they were showing no available stock. I’ve searched and seen a few threads that were older - so I thought I’d post and see if there were any new solutions or if anyone had any ideas as to where to source a replacement or are they any new fixes?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Pretty sure that there was a post that a guy fixed the wire

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure that there was a post that a guy fixed the wire
I haven’t found that one yet. I’ll dig around some more tonight. If you happen to stumble across the post please let me know.

I did disconnect and clean the plugs under the seat pretty thoroughly as well as bouncing up and down on the seat (both of which had at least forestalled having to replace it).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve found nothing anywhere in regards to a work around or alterna solution. I spoke to a guy today at GM Wholesale Direct who told me he showed no stock in any GM dealership or warehouse for this part and he couldn’t tell without me ordering if it was discontinued or not. i ordered it and we‘ll see what comes of that.

I love this car, but it‘s making it really hard on me to justify keeping it long term if I’m going to be looking at parts being unavailable like this. Without this sensor, the passenger side airbag is for all intents and purposes non-existent. 😤

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’ve found nothing anywhere in regards to a work around or alterna solution. I spoke to a guy today at GM Wholesale Direct who told me he showed no stock in any GM dealership or warehouse for this part and he couldn’t tell without me ordering if it was discontinued or not. i ordered it and we‘ll see what comes of that.

I love this car, but it‘s making it really hard on me to justify keeping it long term if I’m going to be looking at parts being unavailable like this. Without this sensor, the passenger side airbag is for all intents and purposes non-existent. 😤
This should've been a recall based on how many times I've heard people having this issue for not only gen 2 but also gen 1's. What is your follow up on this? Having the same issue but havent tried cleaning or messing with the wires under the seat yet...

·
Registered
276 Posts
The same module and occupant pad could be sourced from another non V non Recaro seat. You would need to find one with the side airbag in the same year range. Remember, you have to disconnect the power from the battery and wait five minutes before you disconnect the seat wiring and be careful of the connection to the airbag on the side of the seat itself. I would verify it is the module or the seat sensor before I replaced both. Need the exact code they got from your computer.

·
Registered
276 Posts
if you disconnect the seat while the battery is installed you will throw another code. Also, you need to be careful with the airbag wires and never probe them with a live (powered) test equipment. If you do you will light the airbag.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,582 Posts
I’m wondering if the PPM will soon need repair or replacement on mine. No codes or failures but the thing is very touchy, even an iPhone touching the seat results in the bag turning on and seatbelt warnings and red lights.
I’m wondering if this hypersensitivity is an indicator of failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I’m wondering if the PPM will soon need repair or replacement on mine. No codes or failures but the thing is very touchy, even an iPhone touching the seat results in the bag turning on and seatbelt warnings and red lights.

No, these car seats show a "passenger" when a phone is placed on the passenger side seat. My regular CTS did that. My CTS-V with Recaros does that. My ATS-V non-Recaros does that. Lots of Gen II CTS's do it.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Mine became intermittent before it failed. Sometimes it sensed a person other times it wouldn't. I think that was the point at which you knew it was failing. I've heard plenty of times its normal to be so sensitive to pick up things like having a phone on the seat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got this replaced and picked up today (it’s been a pretty low priority since I haven’t been driving customers around for over a year now). The guy at the upholstery shop that swapped the seat cushion/sensor/cover (since they only sell it for the Recaro’s this way) said that the light will stay on until it gets cleared using a Tech2. Fortunately a buddy of mine has one of those PC based Tech2’s. Does anyone have a clue where/what specific place this needs to be cleared at (I haven’t played with a Tech2 yet).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I finally got this replaced and picked up today (it’s been a pretty low priority since I haven’t been driving customers around for over a year now). The guy at the upholstery shop that swapped the seat cushion/sensor/cover (since they only sell it for the Recaro’s this way) said that the light will stay on until it gets cleared using a Tech2. Fortunately a buddy of mine has one of those PC based Tech2’s. Does anyone have a clue where/what specific place this needs to be cleared at (I haven’t played with a Tech2 yet).
I'm having the same issue right now with my ctsv. Where did you purchase the passenger presence sensor?? I called dealer and they told me is discontinued, and no other dealer have them in stock. I tried searching the part# 20903436 online and all site I came across show discontinued as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep us posted.
I'm currently waiting for Cadillac customer support for update. They're gonna try to locate the parts (presence sensor) for me, but its been almost a week and I haven't heard back yet. I still can't get over how Cadillac discontinued a part that keeps the SRS airbag from working.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts