Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 13' V with barely 25k Miles. Winter driven. Was having a pleasant Saturday morning at the car wash and I noticed something didn't look right on the rear passenger side fender. I went to smooth it over with the shammy and FUCK! A half inch of paint just flaked right off! On closer inspection both rear fenders have peeling going on the underside. Pics attached. During my fall clay bar and wax things were fine here. WTF!

I searched and found nothing on this. I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty (doesn't appear to be corrosion). I'm devastated. To me it looks like both fenders need to be repainted. I was already planning on doing the blown rear shocks this spring. Anybody else have this happen? How was it dealt with?

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Was it ever in an accident? That looks like the result of some shitty body work, maybe there was an accident that was never reported and the PO just paid out of pocket for the repair.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had someone rolled the fenders?
I really highly doubt it. Previous owner from Texas drove it up here to Canada and decided it wasn't a good winter car. Only 20k miles on it. Not a single modification that I could find, stock rims, stock suspension. The fenders feel flat to me. I did have NT05r's on there but never had any rubbing as was most people's experience.

Sounds like this isn't a common occurrence.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It looks like there's adhesion issues with the paint like it wasn't applied properly. I think the corrosion warranty is only for 4 years or 50K miles. Is it chipping anywhere else, how do the front fenders look? If it was a respray looks like they might have been lazy, check the rear door jambs and around the trunk where it meets the quarter panels for signs that it was painted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and It really doesn't look like a repaint either. Door jams look awesome, I was always pretty impressed with the paint quality (compared with the BMW 1 series we have, and my previous C Class). Until now I guess.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would take it to a body shop get it fixed before it starts to rust. Then find a place you can start storing it for the winter and get a little winter beater. These cars are way to nice to be driving in the winter months with all the salt and sand.

Reactions: STE\/E

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Looks like poor bodywork to me too. The chipped paint looks too thick to be factory paint. I would get it to a body shop soon.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not a wagon!

The dealer is going to look at it. I guess there's a chance it is still covered under their "limited corrosion warranty" which I have for a few more months. It doesn't actually look like corrosion to me...just shitty paint that is lifting.

Is a week too long to let this sit? I don't think I can get it in this week.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would take it to a body shop get it fixed before it starts to rust. Then find a place you can start storing it for the winter and get a little winter beater. These cars are way to nice to be driving in the winter months with all the salt and sand.
The V is a nice car but there are plenty of standard CTS's that are beat to shit and neglected in all weather as daily drivers and I've never seen one with paint falling off.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The V is a nice car but there are plenty of standard CTS's that are beat to shit and neglected in all weather as daily drivers and I've never seen one with paint falling off.
absolutely agree with you, the paint shouldn't be peeling off like that.

·
Super Moderator
16,993 Posts
Would be stunned if that was factory paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Corrosion warranty is 6 years 120,000 km or something like that.

Doesn't look like the wagon issue just looks like the paint is coming off or it's a repair gone wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,017 Posts
So a car that has the paint spontaneously peel off is way too nice to drive in the winter? Fuck that! lol

I drive mine 52 weeks a year and after almost five years and 70k miles, the paint is in good shape considering. I'd suggest instead OP get the paint fixed and just drive the car - a minor repair and a set of snow tires is a lot cheaper than insuring an additional vehicle! :D

Nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea I'm not sure if it's corrosion really...doesn't look like rust at all. Layer of paint is just separating from the body panel. when I washed it today I could feel the water getting in between the body panel and the paint under the fender.

I HOPE it can be considered corrosion. I have a meeting with the dealer next Monday.

I know our winters are tough, but really it's mostly the cold. We don't really use salt up here, and don't get quite as much snow/moisture as out east. Our winters are extremely cold, but relatively dry. I've never actually had any serious corrosion on any of my vehicles - maybe some surface rusty bolts under the car, but never had any paint problems.

It is possible it was accidented, never reported, repainted and sold to me. But both sides? and otherwise such a flawless job?

Thanks for everyone's input!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts