Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

881 - 900 of 935 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
I wouldn’t say dynojets read high they read consistently though. It’s the only Dyno that makes any sense to compare from one location to another.
We'll disagree on the dynojet vs Mustang dyno thing- I have never seen or heard of a Dynojet reading "low" compared to any other... ever. Lol. And any tool can be miscalibrated to skew the readings.

But i completely agree on using any dyno you have as a comparison tool (only)! I'm already seeing some hurt feelings with the new age of "1000 rwhp!!!" YouTube videos that no one can replicate.

Anyway... Dyno Day #2 coming up - we'll see how the timing and AFR treats me. #goingfor700. Ha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #882 (Edited)
830 RWHP, 740 RWTQ on 93 pump - with a dirty run (ie mixed KR).

EDIT: Oh, and I was like 10:1 AFR on pump gas the first run. Turns out, my wideband is accurate and the previous dyno must have been off, certainly accounting for much of the previous lack-luster results. @Rubberduck

Last pull of the day... did I mention it's my birthday?

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #885
:eek:

Did it tear anything up?
Its resting on the post lift. Definitely quarter panel and wheel damage. Hard to say if anything else.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Hate seeing that though I guess it could have been much worse.

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #888 (Edited)
Hate seeing that though I guess it could have been much worse.
Absolutely. Everyone has all their fingers (so far). Angry wife will put a damper on the birthday dinner, and I forgot to tell her I was taking the day off... lol

But oh well.

ETA: it was a dynojet. I was confused. :p. The important stuff looks like it was spared... but I get to refinish my wheels... AGAIN! Wheel took most of the hit against the side of the lift, sparing the glass, my GForce diff and driveshaft, the custom exhaust and those expensive Wagon tail lights.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
I think my heart actually skipped a beat when i saw that. Any explanation as to HOW that happened?!

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #893 (Edited)
Someone forgot to check the straps after each pull.
It appears as if one strap failed, which loosened the second strap - allowing the car to skip sideways.

The straps were checked before the 1st and 2nd run and tight. Without getting under the car yet, and given that all of the straps were still in place - but one totally loose, we suspect the locking mechanism let go (or was not fully set / locked).

·
Registered
644 Posts
At first glance on my phone I was thinking, that’s an odd photo angle then it slowly sank in. Man, that is a rough day!

I’m more comfortable using an in ground dyno but an unsecured vehicle is dangerous no matter which type of dyno you’re on. Too many videos of cars launching through the shop or doing a rodeo into or onto a spectator, etc.

On the lighter side, the rust issue the wagons had makes the quarter panel repair seem almost like maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Damnitboy......

WTF thread worthy

Sorry Random

Black Betty - 2010 Sedan with some stuff

"Only those willing to go too far can find out how far one can go." T. S. Eliot

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Happy Birthday!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Damn Dude

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It appears as if one strap failed, which loosened the second strap - allowing the car to skip sideways.

The straps were checked before the 1st and 2nd run and tight. Without getting under the car yet, and given that all of the straps were still in place - but one totally loose, we suspect the locking mechanism let go (or was not fully set / locked).

Sorry to hear that man. I would be piiiiiiissssssed.

What is it like repairing rear quarter panels on these cars? I don't suppose they are a simple bolt on like my S2000...
Are they going to have to cut an weld in a new panel? The wagon body panels are probably pretty rare at this point.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
We'll disagree on the dynojet vs Mustang dyno thing- I have never seen or heard of a Dynojet reading "low" compared to any other... ever. Lol. And any tool can be miscalibrated to skew the readings.

But i completely agree on using any dyno you have as a comparison tool (only)! I'm already seeing some hurt feelings with the new age of "1000 rwhp!!!" YouTube videos that no one can replicate.

Anyway... Dyno Day #2 coming up - we'll see how the timing and AFR treats me. #goingfor700. Ha

Dynojet doesn't read "low" or "high". Uncorrected they read what they read and you cant fuck with it because its just accelerating a known inertia.
You can fuck with the number if you have a correction factor added in and put a hair dryer on the temp sensor, then it will inflate the number.

But this is why dynojet is the only dyno numbers it even makes sense to compare against. You can literally make a mustang dyno read whatever you want but not a dynojet.

881 - 900 of 935 Posts