Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

561 - 580 of 598 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
So update: the Kong is here. It comes with it's own bypass valve and ignores the factory setup (cool)!

Also, I talked to Brett and it looks like the snout input shaft was defective, which ate the bearing. He has a new supplier and will be fixing that up in a jiff.

I think at this point I will go with the 2650 and sell off the 2300 once repaired.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
So update: the Kong is here. It comes with it's own bypass valve and ignores the factory setup (cool)!

Also, I talked to Brett and it looks like the snout input shaft was defective, which ate the bearing. He has a new supplier and will be fixing that up in a jiff.

I think at this point I will go with the 2650 and sell off the 2300 once repaired.

Ehh that doesn’t sound like you... Now you need to pull off the 2650 and go twin turbo lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

I'm confident that you already have a good home for the 2.3.

If I have learned anything from Bruce, with me having stock heads, there is no sense in acquiring one of the 2.3s that will be coming off, like yours, because it would do no good to try and force more air in, when it can't flow out.

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #564

If I have learned anything from Bruce, with me having stock heads, there is no sense in acquiring one of the 2.3s that will be coming off, like yours, because it would do no good to try and force more air in, when it can't flow out.
Hmmm... well, stock heads are certainly not optimal - that's really what Bruce is saying. But most of what we do is not optimal because we're hot rodding and making due with imperfect situations.

Thinking of it differently: this 2.3 will probably make a ton of boost on LSA heads - more than an over spun LSA or factory 2.3L. You will make more power - just "not as much as you could..." with a more optimized head / cam setup. Turbos can make 900+ on stock heads, but it's an extreme analogy that makes a lot of heat relative to our PD setup.

You'd also need to improve the intercooler efficiency for any serious RPM enjoyment. But on the street where it's one blast at a time? Not nearly as big a deal.

So it is really a question of what compromises you want to make, and how much money you want to spend while making them. That's not the same thing as "it wont work."

But as I've discovered... doing it "The Right Way" is really, really expensive! Lol

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
So... Kong forgot to include the pulley. Or maybe it just ships separate, but i dont have it. Lol

Also they tape up the blower and snout- which is cool, but they leave the vacuum and sensor ports uncovered so the foam bits still get in there from the packing material.

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
I wonder who is going to be the first to grind off the Kong logo and then give it a quick bead blast.
It would have to be some SEMA build where they care about the aesthetic.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Or someone with a side hustle trying to capitalize on the folks that don’t know what to look for on a stock blower vs this bad boy. I’ve gone through a LOT of effort to camouflage power adders on past rides to have a little edge on a Saturday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It would have to be some SEMA build where they care about the aesthetic.

Or "sleeper" status for grudge racing. Although with that bigass snout Im sure an astute grudge racer would be able to tell what it is..

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #571
Or "sleeper" status for grudge racing. Although with that bigass snout Im sure an astute grudge racer would be able to tell what it is..
Yeah, with the casting being obviously different, the snout so large and the bypass valve being different - it would not pass a close inspection. That, and pulling a 150 HP over a 1.9 might be hard to sneak by more than 1 run.

·
Premium Member
4,100 Posts

Hmmm... well, stock heads are certainly not optimal - that's really what Bruce is saying. But most of what we do is not optimal because we're hot rodding and making due with imperfect situations.

Thinking of it differently: this 2.3 will probably make a ton of boost on LSA heads - more than an over spun LSA or factory 2.3L. You will make more power - just "not as much as you could..." with a more optimized head / cam setup. Turbos can make 900+ on stock heads, but it's an extreme analogy that makes a lot of heat relative to our PD setup.

You'd also need to improve the intercooler efficiency for any serious RPM enjoyment. But on the street where it's one blast at a time? Not nearly as big a deal.

So it is really a question of what compromises you want to make, and how much money you want to spend while making them. That's not the same thing as "it wont work."

But as I've discovered... doing it "The Right Way" is really, really expensive! Lol

A larger Blower, such as an ‘Roots Style’ Blower should always improve low rpm to mid rpm torque.

But once the cylinder head goes into ‘Velocity Choke’ at 'Some High Rpm'(?)
and since the roots blower will not hold a high ‘Absolute Pressure Ratio’ the
blower itself becomes inefficient and heat generated by the inefficient blower
then becomes an issue.

Once you enter ‘Velocity Choke’ volumetric flow rates virtually become zero.

Move over to a ‘Twin Screw’ Supercharger and once the cylinder head moves
into velocity choke, the mass flow rate can still be increased because the twin
screw supercharger can compress the air, which moves you from only relying on
volumetric flow rate, into compressible flow.

Twin Screw Superchargers are about 20% more efficient than are simple roots blowers.

====================================================

I posted the following to this forum sometime back.
It would seem it to be a good idea to post it once again.

-what is compressible flow-
This occurs for air flow when the absolute pressure ratio is 0.528, i.e. when the
downstream absolute pressure (P2) is 52.8% of the upstream absolute pressure (P1).
Sonic Velocity occurs for air flow when P2 /P1 equals 0.528.

Sonic velocity refers to the speed of sound and a mach number is associated with that.
In an IC Engine sonic velocity is considered to be ~55% of the speed of sound.

Most in the industry tend to agree that the value of 1116 feet per second represents
the speed of sound when referencing that phenomena with an IC Engine.

Some simply use the value of 52.8%, which correlates with the value of 0.528 given above.

As an example;
When P2 is 14.7 psia and P1 is 27.84 psia, sonic velocity / velocity choke occurs through the orifice.

As P1 further increases there is no further increase in the velocity of the air flowing
through the orifice, but an increase in mass flow can be generated by a Supercharger as
it will compress the air molecules together thereby increasing the density of the air.

The density ratio increases at the square root of the pressure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

So if we add 1-BAR of boost, we have a pressure ratio of 2-BAR Absolute.

If we square root the value of 2, we arrive at a value of 1.414.
So we effectively have now added 41.4% air mass to the engine.

But to double the density we would need to have 4-BAR of Absolute Pressure,
as the square root of 4, is equal to the value of 2.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
Yay. I had to adjust my coolant steam line on the front driver side to clear the blower snout. Install on going....

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
Did you have to hog out the mounting bolt holes like you did on the 2300?
Yup. In process.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Yup. In process.

Im assuming the Allpros aren’t perfect... this should be pretty damn simple... hog out?!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I used the word hog out. I think it’s better described as finesse and slightly elongate the holes.

Looking forward to seeing you results Random.

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #579
Im assuming the Allpros aren’t perfect... this should be pretty damn simple... hog out?!
The AllPros ARE perfect. :D It's the block decking and machining that brought the tolerances down, since the supercharger bolts thread into the heads themselves. It's annoying, but the block was decked pretty low from the get-go for maximum quench - Ali struggled to get his S/C bolted in from the get-go. So having the motor rebuilt the second time like I did would only exacerbate that, ergo elongating the bolt holes.

Thankfully the intake runners still match up pretty well, but few people machine a block for a build like this anticipating rebuilds on down the road.... I don't expect that this block would see a third rebuild at this power level... muhahaha.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Roger, didn’t expect that, but at least the previous owner informed you of the circumstances. Do you have an appointment for the tune yet? Or did I miss that?

561 - 580 of 598 Posts