Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2013 CTS wagon with a dead battery, so the liftgate will not open. The owners manual and everything shown on U-tube is for CTS's with a "real" trunk, which has a lever above the rear seat pass through and the "Emergency Trunck Release Handle" on the back wall of the trunk that glows in the dark. Well, it doesn't glow bright enough to find on this wagon, as it not there. What obviously simple "trick" am I missing..??

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Use you key to open the driver door, then either pop the hood to use a battery charger on the engine bay terminal block, or climb through to the rear. :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use you key to open the driver door, then either pop the hood to use a battery charger on the engine bay terminal block, or climb through to the rear. :)

Thanks for the quick response! We already did what you suggested - tried to charge the battery, (must be shot), and went behind the seat, but could not find the emergency trunk release..?! Is it hidden somewhere not obvious..??

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
There is no way to open the hatch without power. There is no emergency latch opener as there is in a trunk. Becuase the hatch area is open to the rest of the car, I guess the powers that be at GM felt it unneccesary?

From my 2013 wagon owner's manual: "the liftgate has an electric latch. If the battery is disconnected or has low voltage, the liftgate will not open. The liftgate will resume operation when the battery is reconnected and charged."

Given you've said that the battery will not charge from the front charge points, you will have to manually crawl back (easy to do once the rear seats are down), open the battery container on the passenger side of the rear hatch, and insert a new battery.

I am thankful I haven't had to do this for my wagon yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no way to open the hatch without power. There is no emergency latch opener as there is in a trunk. Becuase the hatch area is open to the rest of the car, I guess the powers that be at GM felt it unneccesary?

From my 2013 wagon owner's manual: "the liftgate has an electric latch. If the battery is disconnected or has low voltage, the liftgate will not open. The liftgate will resume operation when the battery is reconnected and charged."

Given you've said that the battery will not charge from the front charge points, you will have to manually crawl back (easy to do once the rear seats are down), open the battery container on the passenger side of the rear hatch, and insert a new battery.

I am thankful I haven't had to do this for my wagon yet.
Thanks for the bad news..!! I was afraid that might be the case. I will go back and check how difficult it would be to remove the battery with the liftgate closed. It might be easier to just attach a long set of "jumper cables" to the battery and open the liftgate.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
It shouldn't be hard. The hatch doesn't cover the battery port, and all it takes is twisting a plastic knob to open the batter compartment.

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
If you can apply 12v to the junction in the engine bay, your key will work and the hatch will open.

Even a dead battery would have enough milliamps to actuate the hatch so perhaps you have a lose terminal or other problem?

Good luck

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Hey, I just found this in the service manual!

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I need a copy of the service manual. This sure wasn’t in the owner’s manual...good to know if my battery ever dies.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Changing the battery with the tailgate open is an easy one beer job. Prolly a bitch with it down. If you need instructions let me know. I did a write up on another site. Important - be sure to use the battery vent to atmosphere!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts