Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently running 12" wheels on the V-coupe with 325/30-R19 MT ET SS tires and I want to step up to 345/30-R19s.
I Believe they will fit, I believe they will fit (fingers crossed).
Difficulty is that there is not much available in this odd ball size.
No, I'm NOT interested in swapping wheel diameters, just working with what I have. The only choices I can find offered across the market are these:
Nitto NT05R
NT555RII
Toyo R888R

Now, that's a pretty short list. I tried searches here, but there's not much about the "new" 555RII.
My application is a weekend play toy, not a daily, not out in the rain, NOT concerned with treadwear/ mileage/ cornering/ cost. I want the MOST straight line grip I can bolt on in a streetable tire in this size that is not dangerous if caught in a quick storm. Suffice it to say that if the MT SS were made in this size, I'd have them on the way. I have to find the 'next best'.
05/555/888? any input?

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
My choice would be the Toyo. I hear they are noisy but have excellent grip.

I didn't have ant luck with the NT05R. The ET Streets were good and I got close to 4,000 miles out of them and would definitely run them again.

·
Registered
317 Posts
888 all the way. Those nt05 hook pretty good on my uncles Shelby (‘13 gt500) retain decent daily drivability, and you can get it home at no more than 50mph if caught in the rain, but those 888’s are super sticky and without caring about rain I’d go that route. Hoonigan has tested them thoroughly and they’re impressive (yeah sponsoring helps too) but with only 2 real options it doesn’t leave much else. Also there’s a ‘19 SS in town on those 555’s and he spins all day long , given they’re not THAT wide but he’s not making over 400whp either.
just my .02

·
Registered
167 Posts
Man i think A LOT of people have begged MT to make a Street R in 19” sizes because then all of our problems would be solved lol but in your case go R888R WITHOUT question. Typically you stab em once if you’re highway rolling and you’re ready to go on the 2nd hit. Incredible tire for the sizes. I’ve had awesome luck with them.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Is BFG still making the kdw2s? I had a set of those that I loved, hooked decent and still had good rain characteristics. Probably not enough tire for 750 or better.

On a side note my indy500s hook at anything over 45 or 50. For now at 660whp anyways.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is BFG still making the kdw2s? I had a set of those that I loved, hooked decent and still had good rain characteristics. Probably not enough tire for 750 or better.
I was all enthusiastic about the latest G-Force BFGs but they (along with M&H, Hoosier and others that come to mind) don't bother with 19s at all.

·
Premium Member
2011 CTS-V Coupe with a blue wrap. Cam, smaller pulley, larger injectors, methanol injection.
323 Posts
R888R would be suggestion from the list above. Noisy, but killer traction for a streetable tire.
This is the second person to say they are noisy. I'm not saying they're not. I drove mine today for the first time. I couldn't hear anything over the sound of my car and / or the radio. I also got caught out in a thunderstorm, and although I was scared I was going to wreck, they performed as well as could be expected.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Ran the R888’s when I was road racing back a few years. Drove them on the street a bit as well. Excellent traction but yes, noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clearly the consensus is the 888s. Very glad to have a clear decision on that. How noisy ARE they that EVERYone mentions it? Mud grip noisy?
Desert Dogs noisy?
I hope it’s not awful but, traction is paramount so I’ll deal with it.
They even “look” noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the Toyo Proxes R888 (315/30 ZR20) and am happy enough with them that I am on my third set.

The Good
  • Awesome Grip

The Bad
  • Cost and Availability - Just bought two new rears @ $497 each a week ago and they are not scheduled to ship until 8-28-21. This kind of sucks because mine are pretty much worn out now.
  • Longevity - I got about 3,500 miles out of them which from what my 15 minutes of research has taught me is that this is on the low end but many are getting less than 5,000 miles. In all fairness I don't drive my car often but when I do I generally am putting rubber down on purpose. I have made a mental note that every burnout or donut is costing me at least $20. Would not put them on a daily.
  • Wet Pavement Performance - White knuckle driving with winds or passing vehicles blowing the rear of the car every which way. Even at 45 mph on the interstate the slightest amount of surface water from rain and it is like driving in snow or on ice. Got caught in the rain twice and it's a sketchy ride.
  • Fitment - I have rolled fenders and lowered. I get a little rub on sweeping dips. Bumps in the road are fine with no rubbing experienced. This is the trade I have elected to make to have a 12.5" wide tire with less than an inch of fender well gap. It's a tradeoff specific to my set up.

The Undetermined
  • Noise - I have never noticed any excessive noise. The only excessive noise I can remember is slower driving through a parking lot or on residential streets and hearing the stickiness of the tire picking up loose gravel in the road. I also notice a loud squeal when I am in competitive driving mode and my right foot pushes too hard. Maybe that is what everyone is talking about - hahhhhh.
Hope this helps and don't judge my dirty tires and rims. I took this picture after a few days of daily driving to capture the size for my reorder.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Beautiful! I have the same question. What width and offset are the wheels?
I’m using 12” Vette wheels that require a spacer. This gives me some latitude to move the wheel in or out as needed to hopefully achieve the ideal location. It is still going to be snug as you’ve found.
When yours rub, is it in or outside?

I’m running 325 Mickey’s and to be honest, I don’t have a real reason to go 345s except for vanity.... (sometimes that’s good enough).
Current effective offset is 30mm.

Reactions: Blades1_99
1 - 14 of 14 Posts