Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
2011 CTSV Coupe M BLK LSX376-B15
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey People,

Just to get this out of the way, are there any newer pro-noun names for 'People' aka 'Car Enthusiasts' that I should be made aware of? I don't want to offend, just trying to be sensitive and keep it real, we all need a 'safe' place to share our stories and grow strong together.
"Have A Nice Day" 馃檪

Attached is an image of my latest combined Blackstone oil analysis report for my new LSX376-B15 engine swap.

Side Note:
Picked-up my new SW .38 Special today! Cars and Guns 2021

1st sample:
Report period reflects draining and replacing initial engine oil after 200 miles to insure no assembly lube, preservation, or other OEM build additives remaining in system, no metal! Re-fill and drive another 500 miles prior to 1st sample. During this period, no real demand driving, just dialing-in fueling and timing, idle and cruise MAF. Mobile-1 (5-30)

2nd sample:
Report period reflects an additional 500-800 miles, one track day, tuning and dialing-in PE, testing the over-all build for endurance, oil pressure, temps, fuel pressure, cooling, brakes, new clutch, shaft, etc... Solid!
Mobil-1 (5-30)

I am aware (not an expert) what the differing metals components in the oil reports represent in general, just not quite sure how best to interpret the levels based on a new iron block build during break-in period, specifically with regard to the LSX376-B15 engine?

No history of low oil pressure, fuel starvation, no known mechanic error of any kind, everything is per OEM spec, above and beyond best common shop practices.

CTSV is operating like a Swiss watch. The hypnotic rhythm of valves tapping, the baritone resonance of the exhaust, and the fragrant aroma of burnt fuel, It's seductive. I can hear her calling out to me, "Close the garage door, turn down the lights and dream..."

I realize that we all have unique expertise in specialty areas, and many years of combined knowledge, I value this and thank you in advance for sharing you opinions, commentary, and suggestions.

kittyboy

2011 CTSV Coupe
LSX376-B15, TR6060, SC 3.6 pulley ratio w/ ZL1 lid, brick, 1/2" lid spacer, LS7 TB, 4" intake, 1 3/4" headers w/ 3" exhaust, cooling pumps, heat exchangers, fans, etc...

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Number

Premium Member
2009 Sedan
The report is odd. Usually they have a column like the bottom, where it says an acceptable range. The middle says unit/location averages?? Universal averages on the right column might be what you look at. That middle column is strange though. It's not an average of your 2 samples??

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The report is odd. Usually they have a column like the bottom, where it says an acceptable range. The middle says unit/location averages?? Universal averages on the right column might be what you look at. That middle column is strange though. It's not an average of your 2 samples??
The acceptable range at this point is still a question to me? I am not familiar with new builds, and I am sure there are inherent differences from build to build as to the levels, plus a million other variables. I do know that lead, copper, tin, and zinc are primarily bearing materials, and that those should be zero in a perfect world, iron is another flag. All I do know at this point, the engine is now well broken-in, and hopefully I will start to see a trend of lower values moving forward. I am only 'assuming' that the current elevated values are more common during break-in period, extreme use periods, and after many long years when things start to wear-out? Hoping to get some more feedback. Thanks

Premium Member
2009 Sedan
Zinc is from the oil's additive package. You WANT high zinc. Silicon comes from dirt. I know that one from big truck oil tests. If that is high, it's a sign of unfiltered air, or dirty air filters.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zinc is from the oil's additive package. You WANT high zinc. Silicon comes from dirt. I know that one from big truck oil tests. If that is high, it's a sign of unfiltered air, or dirty air filters.
Thanks, yeah, got tin and zinc switched around in my head. Appreciate the info, how big of trucks you working on?

Registered
You really want a "control" sample. When you change your oil next time, save a small sample of the oil you're putting in. When you submit your next used sample for analysis, include that saved virgin sample as well. This way, you'll be able to easily tell what was in the oil originally, and what was added by the engine.

Premium Member
2009 Sedan
The Detroit Diesel lab that I always sent mine too asked what oil the sample was. I would think they should already have a sample of whatever oil you are using for comparison.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You really want a "control" sample. When you change your oil next time, save a small sample of the oil you're putting in. When you submit your next used sample for analysis, include that saved virgin sample as well. This way, you'll be able to easily tell what was in the oil originally, and what was added by the engine.
Excellent advise, never even occurred to me? I am surprised the lab does not recommend this, even if it added to the price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts