Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my car this morning and everything is all good about 5 minutes later I noticed some lifter chatter. Revved the engine a bit and the chattering went away. Went n a two hour ride trip and on the way back I noticed lifter chatter when I went into the store. Revved engine and it went away. Pulled into the driveway and noticed the chattering again. Checked the oil and it was good. I then check the dang oil pressure and it’s at 6 psi at idle and 22 psi when I rev the engine. Gentlemen please tell me this is more than likely a bad oil pump.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Yikes

Reactions: Teh V

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
It doesn't sound good. Did you work on or replace the oil pump recently?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Not expecting a great outcome TBH. If you had stopped driving when you first heard it, you MAY have been lucky.

This is why I have the oil pressure showing on the DIC whenever I'm behind the wheel.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Did you replace all of the rod bearings? How about the rods and caps? Did you check them with a mic to make certain they were round?

Reactions: MrSurly

·
Registered
544 Posts
Doesn't sound good...your luck has been on the downside lately. Hope it's nothing to serious for you though.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,227 Posts
Reactions: Teh V

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I was hoping it was a pinched o-ring.
If that was the case, it would have had issues on his first start up.

·
Registered
927 Posts
For the oil pressure to be that low, it would have to be a bad main IMO, I don't think you could lose that much out of a rod or cam bearing, especially without a CRAZY amount of noise. Maybe something is clogging the pickup screen, did you use a ton of RTV on the oil pan or anything?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the oil pressure to be that low, it would have to be a bad main IMO, I don't think you could lose that much out of a rod or cam bearing, especially without a CRAZY amount of noise. Maybe something is clogging the pickup screen, did you use a ton of RTV on the oil pan or anything?
I didn’t use rev at all. Just 3 days ago oil pressure was 31-32 at idle and 51-52 when I was driving around town. 3 days later it’s this low. Would may oil pressure drop slowly if my mains were wearing out?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,227 Posts
You're going to have to drop the pan and see what the heck. To dump all the oil pressure, either a new path for oil has opened up (wiped main or cam bearing, main cap lose(?) piston squirter fell out, something cracked. OR... the oil pump relief is stuck with trash (best possible hope) or the pump is trashed. We know that some work was done recenly on the bottom end and USUALLY, new problems can be traced right back to recent repairs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you spun a main or 2 maybe, not wearing though. It'd have to be catastrophic.
If I measure the oil in the pan before I start the car and then measure it while the car is running and they read the same, would this more than likely be an oil pump issue?

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,227 Posts
If I measure the oil in the pan before I start the car and then measure it while the car is running and they read the same, would this more than likely be an oil pump issue?
A useless excersise due to the oil slinging about.
Also useless because performing this 'diagnostic,' regardless what you learn from it.. the NEXT STEP is exactly same as the next step without doing it.

Reactions: Bigwilly1267
1 - 20 of 55 Posts