Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a WOT run I noticed some noise......clicking noise. I pulled over and noticed I was low on oil. I added a quart I had in the trunk and the car stopped making any noise. Next thing I noticed was that I had low oil pressure (6psi) at idle). Though no light came on, I was still concerned. My oil was changed three weeks ago so to be this low on oil is a flag. I finally got around to changing the oil and saw very fine powder-like particles in there, no chunks. Keep in mind this is the second oil change on this engine and the first was done at 300 miles.

I started the car this morning when it was cold and it held pressure to 38-40psi the dropped gradually as it got warm all the way down to 8-10 in operating temperature. The pressure goes up to about 23-25 under light load (2K rpm).

I am going to tear it down some and trouble shoot starting with the oil pump. I am wondering why would it hold pressure and then lose it? We are thinking it could be the o-ring at the pickup. Maybe the bolt there came loose and come to find out it wasn't locktie'd. If that's not the issue, then it is either the pump or bearings. Wouldn't it NOT have pressure to begin with though? I am hoping there's no need to go that far.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If that's not the issue, then it is either the pump or bearings. Wouldn't it NOT have pressure to begin with though? I am hoping there's no need to go that far.
If it is worn bearings, the clearances would be greater. Because of this extra clearance, it takes more volume to build pressure. At idle, the pump may not be capable of providing this volume. Thus, low oil pressure. At a higher rpm, the pump may be able to flow enough to overcome the greater clearance.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what your saying is....it likely is a worn set of bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I"m betting its the oil pump gone bad. There was a TSB for the factory oil pump going out on some of our V2's. I'm guessing that yourse went out from the extra stress. Don't drive it the way it is until you get it replaced. Honestly if I saw those oil psi #'s I'd change out the oil pump. Drive carefully and monitor the psi and than after 50 - 100 miles do a compression /leakdown test of the motor & drain the oil to see if there is any debris

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took some time off the next two days to tear it down and have a look at the o-ring. If its pinched then I'll adress and if its not then I'll order a pump.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ok yes....funny how you read and learn so much when shit happens to you. I have read just about every article on low oil pressure. Hopefully it's not the bearing and just a case of a finicky o-ring or pump. I began to take it apart this afternoon and should know by tomorrow mid day if it was the ring or not. Crossing my fingers :/

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$6 It's the O-ring...:mad:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope...I was just hoping it was an O-ring. Today I found the cause...NOT a good day. Pics below tell the story.

photo (7).jpg
photo (8).jpg
photo (9).jpg
photo (10).jpg

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have no idea. It is small, thin wire as you can see I don't know where it came from. I just know the engine has to be dismantled.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The little springs were from the valve seals. Engine was taken apart and looked at. The block was damaged and needs te be line bored. Shit just keeps adding up :(

Block 1.jpg
Block 2.jpg
Crank 4.jpg
Maincap.jpg

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rotating assembly is being looked at tonight (pistons and valves). If they're good then im staying stock. I want to keep it simple as I am too far from home (US) to embarking on big projects. It takes forever to get things don here with the turn-around times and shipping in parts. If those are bad as well then I will have to look at my other options.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Whats odd is you're also a manual and I have found that after doing a few continuous hard pulls on the highway i was also getting more valvetrain noise although I haven't had any oil pressure issues. The noises were gone for me the next day. I think that with our hp levels and being stick we get a crapload of front and back motion from shifts and it sloshes/foams the oil causing starvation. Putting some baffles in the oil pan would help and prob a higher flowing oil filter would also help like the amsoil filters.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts