Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have read multiple threads in regards to others having the same question. I've read that it is fine to leave the stock oil pump, chain and dampener in and just proceed with the cam but i have also heard the opposite. I currently have the new melling oil pump, new chain and dampener. I would like to install these parts but was definitely stuck on the oil pan portion of the project.
I read that i only need to drop the oil pan like 1/2 an inch, do i go around and unscrew all the bolts or are there certain ones i can unscrew? do i fully take off the oil cooler? any other things i should be taking off? lastly do i have to mess with the engine mounts at all? i did read that the gasket is reusable which helps a-lot but do i need to buy sealant and add it anywhere along the pan since it is dropped a little bit?
After the pan part the installation of the pump seems pretty straightforward. Mostly to be careful with potentially dropping the pick up tube bolt into the pan, make sure the o-ring is installed correctly and also ensure shimming of the oil pump.
I appreciate any feedback and any recommendations!

Premium Member
Yes, you have to undo/loosen all the bolts around the oil pan. There are also two long bolts at the rear of the pan that have to be removed. Find some plastic wedges to place between the block and the pan at the front to give you as much room as you can to get your fingers in there to remove the pickup tube bolt.....good f'n luck buddy, it was by far the worst part of the whole process for me and my man hands! 馃槃 but really馃槴馃が馃が馃が.

No need to touch the engine mounts, but you will have to remove the oil cooler to get at one or two of the oil pan bolts on the DS. Definitely try to keep dirt from contaminating the mating surfaces, so thoroughly clean the outside of the perimeter before doing anything.

Registered
I did the pan gasket with the engine in the car and it sucked, even with a two post lift. Having also pulled my engine twice I'd say that's easier. I did it by loosening the engine mounts, then jacked the engine up all the way, secured it with a support bar, then went to town underneath. Wobbly's and extensions are your friends.

Registered
Hey guys, i have read multiple threads in regards to others having the same question. I've read that it is fine to leave the stock oil pump, chain and dampener in and just proceed with the cam but i have also heard the opposite.
Who says not to change the chain guide/dampener?

Using stock oil pump, many are, but using the right Melling is a good thing, but getting rid of the LSA guide...should really look to do that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you have to undo/loosen all the bolts around the oil pan. There are also two long bolts at the rear of the pan that have to be removed. Find some plastic wedges to place between the block and the pan at the front to give you as much room as you can to get your fingers in there to remove the pickup tube bolt.....good f'n luck buddy, it was by far the worst part of the whole process for me and my man hands! 馃槃 but really馃槴馃が馃が馃が.

No need to touch the engine mounts, but you will have to remove the oil cooler to get at one or two of the oil pan bolts on the DS. Definitely try to keep dirt from contaminating the mating surfaces, so thoroughly clean the outside of the perimeter before doing anything.
Perfect, I hear it鈥檚 definitely a good time but working on preparing myself for it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the pan gasket with the engine in the car and it sucked, even with a two post lift. Having also pulled my engine twice I'd say that's easier. I did it by loosening the engine mounts, then jacked the engine up all the way, secured it with a support bar, then went to town underneath. Wobbly's and extensions are your friends.
How hard was it for you to remove the engine? That鈥檚 what my first plan was but cannot find much guidance on it. I don鈥檛 have a lift so crawling to underneath with a bit a clearance will make it worse for sure haha

Premium Member
Perfect, I hear it鈥檚 definitely a good time but working on preparing myself for it
I literally walked away three separate times trying to get that f'n bolt started in the hole.

Reactions: WookieNoiz
1 - 7 of 7 Posts