Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to confirm because my dealer keeps saying it is normal. I have done 3 oil changes so far at 17K miles, it looks that oil life meter goes from 100% to 20% every 5K or 6K miles for me. (Florida , Car is stock and no track days) is this normal for the V3? My old RS and AMG used to hit 8 or 9K easily before i had to change the oil.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I wouldn’t wait that long to change my oil anyways. Too cheap and important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Depends on mods. Any e85 car should be doing more frequently. If all stock I'd follow the oem interval just to keep warranty.

Buddy of mine just lost his lt4 and is yet to see what seized. Just know it will not turn over.

Imo , cheap insurance on a not so cheap engine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The ECM calculates oil life based on a number of factors including operating temperature and motor RPM and throttle setting. It's math, not based on a specific sensor. It's possible some other sensor is busted and tricking the oil life calculation in to thinking things are harsher than they are, but any sensor that'd be used by the oil life calculation would also be critical to some other aspect of the engine's operation. You'd have a MIL light. Odds are the oil change intervals you're experiencing are simply because of the way you drive the car.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It also worth mentioning a report I saw from (I think it was) Texas A&M, where a bunch of students did a fairly well controlled study of oil performance over time. What they found was that synthetics like Mobil 1 actually get better after the first few 1000 miles. Their study showed that provided the oil filter was doing a good job, synthetic change intervals less than 10K miles are wasted money. I used to religiously change my motor oil every 2500 miles or so. I stopped doing that after I read this study. The car with the longest run since I started to depend solely on the oil life indicator was my 02Z06, which I bolted a supercharger to about a year after I bought it. I put 130K miles on the car and sold it last year and the guy I sold it to is still running it just fine.

The thing is, when you depend on the oil life indicator you may not check your oil level as much. The life indicator won't tell you if you're running the motor dry.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Just wanted to confirm because my dealer keeps saying it is normal. I have done 3 oil changes so far at 17K miles, it looks that oil life meter goes from 100% to 20% every 5K or 6K miles for me. (Florida , Car is stock and no track days) is this normal for the V3? My old RS and AMG used to hit 8 or 9K easily before i had to change the oil.

Thanks
Just curious did you ever have to add oil to the rs or amg? My wife had a 2012 M3 that would go FOREVER between oil changes because we added a fresh quart like every month. Just a thought.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious did you ever have to add oil to the rs or amg? My wife had a 2012 M3 that would go FOREVER between oil changes because we added a fresh quart like every month. Just a thought.

RS 5 yes every 5k or so I will add a quart. And the car asks for service every 10k. My 10 M3 never.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I don't track either. But 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever is first, is my limit. Joe Gibbs racing oil for me.
When I ran E85 in my V2, I went around 2500-3000 miles between changes

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ECM calculates oil life based on a number of factors including operating temperature and motor RPM and throttle setting. It's math, not based on a specific sensor. It's possible some other sensor is busted and tricking the oil life calculation in to thinking things are harsher than they are, but any sensor that'd be used by the oil life calculation would also be critical to some other aspect of the engine's operation. You'd have a MIL light. Odds are the oil change intervals you're experiencing are simply because of the way you drive the car.
Actually if you see my mpg you will laugh, I averaged 18MPG last 10k, the car is not driven hard.

What numbers do you get on oil changes if you have a v3?

·
Registered
23 Posts

Thanks
Send a sample to Blackstone labs to see how your oil is lasting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had an oil change at the dealership, and 2 recalls done. 671 miles on the oil, but slightly over a year since last change. I did send oil sample to Blackstone labs and all wear metals were average, except that's set on 2700 miles between changes. My oil life indicator was at 3%, the car is a 2016 with under 16,000 miles. Due to the traffic here in the SF Eastbay I get about 10-11 mpg in it. We have 7 cars so we mostly drive our Nissan Leaf for day to day driving kids to school, shopping etc. I'll be trying to drive it more as Blackstone labs told me to send another sample after 1500 miles and we'll see how it grades out. Also it's the dealership oil, but now that I'm out of free oil changes I'll be using Mobil 1 like all my other ICE cars and see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can talk about this forever. The only way to tell is to send it out for analysis. and if you don't want to spend $30 for Blackstone..., go by the oil life indicator or 1 year as per the owners manual.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone else can put their numbers here on how many miles between oil changes per the on board indicator?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts