Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Forums have been great to me so far so I come with pictures and questions.

1. There are 2 lines that come from the fans at the bottom of the car that I believe are for the intercooler system. Any info on part numbers or how to replace would be great .
Hood Automotive tire Sports equipment Tire Automotive lighting

2. I've had an oil leak since I've got the car there is oil all over the underside of the car it almost looks like it is coming from the drain plug and the oil filter but I'm not 100 percent sure. Any ideas on how I can trace the root of the leak?
Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Gas Automotive exterior Auto part
Tire Land vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
2011 thunder grey coupe a6 recaros.
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Those are your transmission lines it’s all one unit goes up to the cooler

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That’s the link, you can get it from autozone but ironically it’s not available through gm even though it’s a genuine ac delco part

Reactions: AG2010-V

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have one sitting on my shelf as a just in case, as some parts get discontinued as the car gets older

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Lol

It makes sense, GM doesn't make life any easier. So will the transmission fluid need to be drained to do the repair? I hear its a PITA.
I’m sure you will loose some as you need to pull it off the cooler and trans, I would just drop the fluid anyway that way you can have piece of mind that the maintenance is out of the way

Reactions: AG2010-V

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Lol

It makes sense, GM doesn't make life any easier. So will the transmission fluid need to be drained to do the repair? I hear its a PITA.
Draining the trans fluid is easy - just like oil drain. Refilling it is the challenge. The fill plug is under the passenger side on the side of the transmission. You will need a fluid pump and some hose to get it to in the transmission. It's recommended that you fill until it drips out from the drain plug hole, put the plug in and add another quart.

This is all done on a level surface with the transmission up to temp. IIRC 160ish degrees.

Reactions: Ctarb1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Draining the trans fluid is easy - just like oil drain. Refilling it is the challenge. The fill plug is under the passenger side on the side of the transmission. You will need a fluid pump and some hose to get it to in the transmission. It's recommended that you fill until it drips out from the drain plug hole, put the plug in and add another quart.

This is all done on a level surface with the transmission up to temp. IIRC 160ish degrees.
My trans temp, normal driving 198 regularly. On hard driving 205. Is that damaging the transmission?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Those temps are not alarming, but driving low on trans fluid and your post about not shifting is.

I recommend fixing the leak first then drop the transmission pan and replace the internal filter and overfill by one quart it with fresh Dex VI.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I got the pump, two 1 gallon jugs of a/c delco auto trans fluid and a transmission filter, going to tackle that today. I figured while I'm down there, I will take the exhaust off and check if the bolt that is known for coming loose and causing trans fluid leaks requires some loctite and re-tightening. I don't remember what the bolt called, but I've read about that issue before.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Go for it!

It's very helpful to have a set of long handle pliers with a 90 bend at the tip of to get onto the fill plug. It's hard to get it out with other tools.

I big ass pan to keep the fluid mess to a minimum is a good idea. I use a cement mixing pan from Lowe's that was about $15. It's in the background of the pic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Go for it!

It's very helpful to have a set of long handle pliers with a 90 bend at the tip of to get onto the fill plug. It's hard to get it out with other tools.

I big ass pan to keep the fluid mess to a minimum is a good idea. I use a cement mixing pan from Lowe's that was about $15. It's in the background of the pic.
Man, I wish I would have seen this before me and my buddy started working on the car. We jacked it, leveled it and opened the drain plug, but only a few drops came out. So I loosen the trans pan, so we can replace the filter, but the pan is stuck, so I go get a flathead to get the pan off and as soon as I get up the pan falls to the ground, and we find where the rest of the fluid was hiding. It was a blonde moment, but other than that, changing the fluid was pretty easy. Cleaning the driveway after the fluid change was probably the hardest part. The trans shift great, big improvement. Also, I don't hear that grinding sound that I thought my supercharger grinding anymore. So I guess it was my trans making a grinding noise on cold start up, which is a little scary.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Glad to hear you got it done and resolved your issue.

In the past I would leave the two outer most rear screws in a few threads letting the trans pan tilt forward while supporting it by hand to not bend the lip.
This will get most of the fluid out. Still makes a little mess but is somewhat controlled and manageable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Question, I bought 2 gallons of ac/delco auto trans fluid, so about 3.8 quarts each. After replacing fluid, it ran good but now is acting a little funky, slow shifting again but not as bad as before. Then I see people posting about the trans needing more than what I had bought. Since I dropped the pan and replaced the filter, should I put in more trans fluid? Could it be possible that it is still low?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
It could be possible if it was really low to start with. There is leftover fluid in the transmission, converter and lines if you just drop the pan / filter and refill. IIRC it takes almost 4 gallons for a completely empty 6l90.

Get the transmission up to temp, pull the drain plug on a level surface, let whatever fluid run out, put the drain plug back in, put a full quart in fill hole and go for a drive.

You can Search the forum for transmission overfill to see other people's posts on this topic.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It could be possible if it was really low to start with. There is leftover fluid in the transmission, converter and lines if you just drop the pan / filter and refill. IIRC it takes almost 4 gallons for a completely empty 6l90.

Get the transmission up to temp, pull the drain plug on a level surface, let whatever fluid run out, put the drain plug back in, put a full quart in fill hole and go for a drive.

You can Search the forum for transmission overfill to see other people's posts on this top
Quick question,
I was buying some antifreeze for a radiator flush today and instead of 50/50 mixture the guy who works at allied auto (pretty an acdelco parts store) told me to get 2 gallons of concentrate and then to fill the rest up with water. There shouldn't be any issues doing it that way, will there?

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
1,365 Posts
Quick question,
I was buying some antifreeze for a radiator flush today and instead of 50/50 mixture the guy who works at allied auto (pretty an acdelco parts store) told me to get 2 gallons of concentrate and then to fill the rest up with water. There shouldn't be any issues doing it that way, will there?
Where do you live? Water cools better than antifreeze, so more water would be preferred if you don't have the risk of freezing it.

I found that cooling system capacity is supposed to be 12.4qts, which would be just over 3 gallons. 2 gallons antifreeze and 1 gallon of water isn't going to be a 50/50 mix.

I'd buy the 2 gallons, BUT:

1) Use 1 gallon of straight antifreeze
2) Fill up that empty jug with water, and use 1 gallon of water
3) Then use 1/2 the other gallon of straight antifreeze
4) Use 1/2 gallon of water
5) Fill the remaining 1/2 gallon of straight antifreeze up with water, and then finish filling the system with your 50/50 mix you made.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Use distilled water in whatever mix you go with

Reactions: loweredd
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.