Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a '61 DeVille to screw around with. Shouldnt take too much to get it roadworthy again (knock on wood). I don't plan on fully restoring it or anything. Just cruise it around with the nice patina. And the Dayton spoke wheels gotta go...

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Nice. During the 60's I always like the Cragar and American Racing spoke wheels. Although that was on smaller cars like the GTO. Looking forward to what you decide to get.

Reactions: piening2150

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sweet ride, love the 60’s Cadillacs. Some wide whites and air ride would look pretty cool. Always liked the look of those big cars down in the weeds. However you do it enjoy it!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Nice. K&N air cleaner atop that mill.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The daytons are good, you just need 30 series tires, knockoffs and hydraulics to go with them.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out Mike Finnegan’s 61. Enjoy yours, cool old cars are great.
I saw the episode where they cut it up 😕 the end result is pretty cool, but it's kind of annoying when someone cuts up a pristine survivor when a 'just ok' car like mine would have been plenty solid as a basis for the project (since they're really only using the body anyway).

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I can't stand the shows where they restomod a perfect car and butcher it to make it a hot rod or whatever shit design they come up with. There are exceptions as in this one which I love:

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
An update. I haven't had as much time to work on it as I'd like, but I've done the following so far:
  • new aluminum radiator, hoses, thermostat, coolant, and overflow tank
  • fixed throttle return spring, battery ground, and choke that weren't done right
  • changed oil, filter, trans fluid, belts
  • fixed leaking exhaust manifold gaskets and added temporary muffler
  • new Pertronix electronic ignition to replace points, MSD coil, wires, and plugs
  • new gas tank was ordered, but shipping kept getting pushed back, so I cleaned and sealed the old one instead. Still gotta put it in with the new sender.

After all that, it's running again, but now I have a leak from one of the freeze plugs when it warms up so I have to fix that too. Then I need to tune the carb and find out if anything else is fucked up. At least I got it out of my parking spot and into to it's permanent home in my new 24x24 detached garage. But before I can do too much more with the car I need to get the electrical and insulation done in the new garage. So many projects, so little time...
Plant Wheel Property Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Nice garage. I wish I could put one in at my house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts