Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After my botched alignment due to the shop not torquing down my Lower control arm bolts properly, I found that this is a much more commen scenario than I thought. It has been mentioned multiple times in the bowels of other alignment threads on this forum, but I felt a need to make a top-level thread for these washers, because it seems that more than a few people have used them with great results, and hopefully we can get all of the proper info int his thread so when someone searches they will have what they need (Nordlock also didn't come up in a title only search so I felt this would help).

Torque Values for the Lower Control Arms: The big bushing is the "front" bushing (More towards the front of the vehicle) and takes the 14mm bolt; its torque value is 148 ftlbs.
The small bushing is the "rear" bushing and take the 16mm bolt; its torque value is 236ftlbs. It is easy to tell by the size of socket you will need to put on them, 14mm bolt/nut takes a 21mm socket. The 16mm bolt/nut takes a 24mm socket.
(Thanks to ASteggall and CSTech)

Here is the effects of not securing the bolts properly after an alignment. It lead to my tire rubbing the Lower Control Arm, a massive clunk when reversing and turning, a steering wheel off by like 15°, A StabiliTrack Off warning light, and some seriously scary turning noises at speed.
My poor girl. OUCH..

So how do we keep the LCA's in place? In comes the wonderful world of Nordlock Washers. They are designed to resist vibration and to keep the bolt and nut tensioned.

Proper usage of Nord-Lock washers in the case of our LCA's in "Through-Hole", so you will need 8 per side in the front to do it per spec.

NordLock Part Number: NL16SP

McMaster Carr part number for Stainless Steel

McMaster Carr part number for Zinc-Flake-Coated-Steel

I also would like to point out that Creative Steel, a site supporter here, makes a full replacement set of Control Arm bushings and they include the NordLock washers with their kit: You can order it here: https://creative-steel.com/shop/09-15-cts-v-grease-able-control-arm-bushings/

If the people that have used these washers to keep their LCA's in place could please verify the type (stainless or coated), size, and total number of washers used? It would be appreciated. I'll update this first post for accuracy as we get more feedback. I've combed the forum and we seem to have 2 different opinions on how to use them; In pairs, as designed by NordLock on the nut side, or a single washer on the nut side and a single on the bolt side. Either way it means we need 8 total washers to do the Left and Right Lower Control Arms, but I'd love to have this thread for discussion so we can come to a "this is how you do it" method.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Karch. I've been in alignment hell for over a month now, so once I find a working solution I wanted to be able to save some fellow Cunts the pain I've endured so far.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn it where was this 6 months ago.

I bought the following.

5/8 part NL16spss, stainless
And did you pair the washers together or one on the nut end and one on the bolt end? I was wondering about the two metal types to see if one is better for mating to aluminum than the other.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Washer are a pair where you see the split in the middle but they come as one. I put one on each side. Bolt and nut side. 8 in front and I think 4 in rear. I did not do the rears.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Typhoon43, glad to hear that my shadetree mechanic diagnosis of your alignment difficulties proved correct. Great idea to consolidate the Nord-lock info in one place.

The washers are designed to be used as an interlocking pair. I used them on both sides (bolt head and nut) for the front. On the rear, I only used them on the nut side since it seems to be less of a problem back there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Great information in here and my lca bolts seem to be tight but I'm still getting that clunk from my front right backing up and going over harsh bumps. I retightened them this weekend and still the same damn noise. I do have the wear where it looks like it's been sliding around though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just had mine back on the alignment rack Friday morning from having the camber adjustment bolts slide out of place and sounds like the squeak is back, so another alignment, and some nordlocks are upcoming.

Make sure you guys add the last "sp" to the end of the part number. The standard nl16 is sized for socket head bolts.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Typhoon43, glad to hear that my shadetree mechanic diagnosis of your alignment difficulties proved correct. Great idea to consolidate the Nord-lock info in one place.

The washers are designed to be used as an interlocking pair. I used them on both sides (bolt head and nut) for the front.
Thank you for confirming this. I too believe they need to be used as designed (in pairs). I have updated the original post with Nord-Lock's recoomendation for "Through-hole" scenarios like the case of our LCA's.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
yup had the same issue with mine, LCA was loose and bent my steering rack after only a couple days.

anyone have an idea on how stiff of a ride the race version of the control arm busshins are? Is it like putting suspension from tour to sport? or a more drastic change. May buy a set and do them while Im fixing my squeeky springs.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
85 Posts
I ordered mine from Grainger.
NORD-LOCK Lock Washer,Bolt 5/8,Steel,PK4
Item # 12W462
Mfr. Model # 1537
Lock Washer, Bolt 5/8, Steel, PK4
https://www.grainger.com/product/12W462?cm_mmc=Share:CopyToPasteboard-_-iPhone_IDPShare-_-12W462

Not sure if link works using app.

My experience with these washers: once alignment was done to specs everything was great (no noises and stayed aligned)...until traveling in Philadelphia at night. I call myself avoiding a pot hole and hit another pot hole and the curb. That incident caused me to break the washers. When I removed the washer it was in two pieces instead of one. I replaced driver side and waited on passenger side. I've had three alignments since and passenger side was off each time, so they do work! I'm not sure if stainless steel is stronger or not but I would order an extra pack for a rainy day like I experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Edit - removed the wrong ones from the post. Still can't find the NL 14 SPs...

I used Tacoma Screw Products, Inc. I haven't gotten them or installed yet. Frankly, I am not sure if I'm having the issue, but the alignment keeps going out and I am hearing a clunking in the suspension over bumps.

Item# Qty Description
073-410-1 4 5/8"/M16 x 1.21" Nord-Lock Washer, Pair

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
This is one of the best modifications you can make for this car. That bushing kit as well. I had the same issue with my front control arms coming lose after alignments. I had it happen 3 different times. I now have had the bushing kit with nordlock washers on the car for 3 months and everything is still perfect.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Edit - removed the wrong ones from the post. Still can't find the NL 14 SPs...

I used Tacoma Screw Products, Inc. I haven't gotten them or installed yet. Frankly, I am not sure if I'm having the issue, but the alignment keeps going out and I am hearing a clunking in the suspension over bumps.

Item#QtyDescription
073-410-145/8"/M16 x 1.21" Nord-Lock Washer, Pair
I'm almost certain that is your issue. Had that less than fresh feeling back there. Put those nord lock washers on the LCA bolts and nuts. Fresh and tight ever since. Have even done the fronts now. Text Font Material property

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I'm almost certain that is your issue. Had that less than fresh feeling back there. Put those nord lock washers on the LCA bolts and nuts. Fresh and tight ever since. Have even done the fronts now. View attachment 78713

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Thanks. Did you use all M16, or did you need to get some M14s as well? I thought we needed both? If all M16, I need to order 4 more.

·
Registered
480 Posts
And did you pair the washers together or one on the nut end and one on the bolt end? I was wondering about the two metal types to see if one is better for mating to aluminum than the other.
Thanks for starting this thread - great content!

These are to be installed as a pair. Not sure why someone would want to split the pair and run half of the locking set, other than not understanding how these work. This simple graphic explains it well (and explains why they are bold thread pitch dependent):

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
any difference between zinc coated and SS for how they work?? to be clear you need to order 12 pairs for the whole car correct?? Will be ordering a set today hopefully.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I ordered mine from Grainger.
NORD-LOCK Lock Washer,Bolt 5/8,Steel,PK4
Item # 12W462
Mfr. Model # 1537
Lock Washer, Bolt 5/8, Steel, PK4
https://www.grainger.com/product/12W462?cm_mmc=Share:CopyToPasteboard-_-iPhone_IDPShare-_-12W462

Not sure if link works using app.

My experience with these washers: once alignment was done to specs everything was great (no noises and stayed aligned)...until traveling in Philadelphia at night. I call myself avoiding a pot hole and hit another pot hole and the curb. That incident caused me to break the washers. When I removed the washer it was in two pieces instead of one. I replaced driver side and waited on passenger side. I've had three alignments since and passenger side was off each time, so they do work! I'm not sure if stainless steel is stronger or not but I would order an extra pack for a rainy day like I experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad I randomly saw this thread. Just got new wheels and I was going to get an alignment once I got them put on. Would have sucked to eat through brand new tires like that. I used your Grainger link and also bought two 4 pks of 9/16" (14mm) since it sounds like you're supposed to match the thread. Fastenal has INSANE prices for these, I'm so confused. Grainger is damn near 25% of the price. It looks like they might be a weaker grade of steel, but you could replace them twice and still spend less.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts