Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spoke with onstar and after December 31, 2022 your onstar will no longer work do to our system using 2 or 3 g technology. Not sure who all this effects or if it has been posted. Built in obsolescence.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Not built-in obsolescence. The car was built with the cellular technology of the time. The cellular providers have been shutting down their old 2G and 3G networks in favor of 4G and 5G networks that have better performance. Not GM's fault their crystal ball didn't say that these networks would go offline sometime in the future. Nor is it their fault that they didn't build the car with future-compatible hardware for 4G/5G because those things didn't exist when the car was designed. Every other car with similar features from the 2010s and earlier has the same issue. No 4G = no connection to the Internet.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,383 Posts
Just spoke with onstar and after December 31, 2022 your onstar will no longer work do to our system using 2 or 3 g technology. Not sure who all this effects or if it has been posted. Built in obsolescence.
My StarTac won't connect a call...

·
Administrator
22,263 Posts
Not built-in obsolescence. The car was built with the cellular technology of the time. The cellular providers have been shutting down their old 2G and 3G networks in favor of 4G and 5G networks that have better performance. Not GM's fault their crystal ball didn't say that these networks would go offline sometime in the future. Nor is it their fault that they didn't build the car with future-compatible hardware for 4G/5G because those things didn't exist when the car was designed. Every other car with similar features from the 2010s and earlier has the same issue. No 4G = no connection to the Internet.
Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,383 Posts
Has anyone looked into swapping just the cell modem/antenna/wifi unit(s) from a newer GM into an older car? Such as the 4G unit that is hidden in my Silverado? I have always admired the fact that the vehicle-based hardware performs so much better than handlehd devices as they don't have size/power supply or thermal constraints to work within so they can get a stronger and more stable signal that my phone.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,383 Posts
I would still rock a StarTac if there was an upgrade path

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
OEM-ISH Coupe
169 Posts
I'll miss it for the remote start function. This was inevitable and will also eventually happen to their super cruise technology. Probably about the time when self driving becomes illegal

Reactions: Detroit_Muscle07

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
People actually use OnStar?
Years ago, the husband of one of my wife's friends decided to cut some dead limbs from a tree in their front yard. He couldn't reach the branches with his ladder, so he backed his pickup truck up to the tree and put the ladder in the bed. But he still couldn't reach the branches except by standing on the top rung and holding the chainsaw he was using above his head. Just as he was about to start, his wife came out and said she was leaving to go shopping. She drove off, he climbed the ladder, raised the running saw over his head, lost his balance, dropped the running saw which cut his arm open as it fell past, and kicked the ladder out leaving him hanging to the tree by one hand. Miraculously, he didn't break anything with his drop to the ground. But he was bleeding pretty bad. So he wrapped his arm in a towel and got in to his cream-colored-interior Cadillac STS to drive himself to the hospital. He got about a half mile down the road before he realized he was going to pass out. So he pulled over and hit OnStar. Next thing he knew, he was in the hospital.

So yes. I know one person who has actually used OnStar. Did he deserve to survive? That's debatable. But OnStar saved his life.

·
Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Auto with a view of the Moon
784 Posts
Years ago, the husband of one of my wife's friends decided to cut some dead limbs from a tree in their front yard. He couldn't reach the branches with his ladder, so he backed his pickup truck up to the tree and put the ladder in the bed. But he still couldn't reach the branches except by standing on the top rung and holding the chainsaw he was using above his head. Just as he was about to start, his wife came out and said she was leaving to go shopping. She drove off, he climbed the ladder, raised the running saw over his head, lost his balance, dropped the running saw which cut his arm open as it fell past, and kicked the ladder out leaving him hanging to the tree by one hand. Miraculously, he didn't break anything with his drop to the ground. But he was bleeding pretty bad. So he wrapped his arm in a towel and got in to his cream-colored-interior Cadillac STS to drive himself to the hospital. He got about a half mile down the road before he realized he was going to pass out. So he pulled over and hit OnStar. Next thing he knew, he was in the hospital.

So yes. I know one person who has actually used OnStar. Did he deserve to survive? That's debatable. But OnStar saved his life.
You’re right, that is debatable. Lol 911 works pretty good too though.
All kidding aside Rocket, OnStar has always seemed to me as another way for GM just to rake in more cash to corporate America and big business. I don’t doubt it doesn’t and can’t save lives, however, 99.9% of all monthly subscribers will never once use it. Think of it like AAA(although I’ve used it at least 3 times already this year bc I have a couple of old cars), most everyone who pays the monthly fee do just that, pay the monthly fee. Let’s be real here, all these companies do is play on peoples fears, as if you’re going to get in a catastrophic accident and going to need them. Most people who actually need companies like OnStar or AAA, can’t afford them monthly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts