Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have done some practicing with NLS and have been both successful and unsuccessful many times. I've noticed it doesnt usually work if you initiate the shift over about 6000 rpm, it seems to hit a hard limiter and kill the power for a sec even if you get it into gear successfully. It also seems harder to get it into gear quickly at higher rpms so I've missed a lot of shifts and hit 6900+ rpm in neutral a few times so far with no noticeable negative effects. I think my limiter is around 6500 rpm.

For 1-2 gear its pointless since you will just spin the tires in first and to redline in 2nd basically instantly depending on surface and tires, at the track probably initiate the shift right at 5800 at latest could work with slicks.

for 2-3 its great but, hard to nail it. I've missed this one like 50% or more of my attempts. Jabbing the clutch and initiating the shift right when the tach starts flashing around 5800 rpm works best. I have ended up in neutral at 6800 rpm a lot of times because I missed this shift, but when you nail a 2-3-4 its amazing.

3-4 @5800 rpm easy to nail it just pull straight back while jabbing the clutch and shift fast as fuk no power or boost loss, sounds awesome and works great. I think boost increases during the shift actually.

4-5-6 usually past 1/4 mile if you are quarter mile racing, or at ~130+ mph. I havent tried NLS 4-5-6 since you have to be at 130+. I can hit 135+ in 4th if i just wring it out. Its possible to NLS 4-5-6 as far as I know but I think i would just end the race before that or shift normally into those gears personally.

Anyone else have any tips? I think I need more practice, maybe take a bit more time with the 2-3 but still not lift off the gas. Im not sure but its worked great a few times but also failed a lot of times. I think i just rushed it and focused on my left leg jabbing the clutch fast more than the actual shift.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have done some practicing with NLS and have been both successful and unsuccessful many times. I've noticed it doesnt usually work if you initiate the shift over about 6000 rpm, it seems to hit a hard limiter and kill the power for a sec even if you get it into gear successfully. It also seems harder to get it into gear quickly at higher rpms so I've missed a lot of shifts and hit 6900+ rpm in neutral a few times so far with no noticeable negative effects. I think my limiter is around 6550 rpm.

For 1-2 gear its pointless since you will just spin the tires in first and to redline in 2nd basically instantly depending on surface and tires, at the track probably initiate the shift right at 5800 at latest could work with slicks.

for 2-3 its great but, hard to nail it. I've missed this one like 50% or more of my attempts. Jabbing the clutch and initiating the shift right when the tach starts flashing around 5800 rpm works best. I have ended up in neutral at 6800 rpm a lot of times because I missed this shift, but when you nail a 2-3-4 its amazing.

3-4 @5800 rpm easy to nail it just pull straight back while jabbing the clutch and shift fast as fuk no power or boost loss, sounds awesome and works great. I think boost increases during the shift actually.

4-5-6 usually past 1/4 mile if you are quarter mile racing, or at ~130+ mph. I havent tried NLS 4-5-6 since you have to be at 130+. I can hit 135+ in 4th if i just wring it out. Its possible to NLS 4-5-6 as far as I know but I think i would just end the race before that or shift normally into those gears personally.

Anyone else have any tips? I think I need more practice, maybe take a bit more time with the 2-3 but still not lift off the gas. Im not sure but its worked great a few times but also failed a lot of times. I think i just rushed it and focused on my left leg jabbing the clutch fast more than the actual shift.
The only thing I have to pass, is what an old guy told me 30+ yrs ago.. and that was to have a different seat adjustment for racing especially for a 4 speed car (back in the day that was it) but even now. If you have your seat too relaxed and you are trying to push up to grab 3rd yet the torque is pushing you back in the seat it can make it tougher on some till you have many many miles and yrs shifting. I have M6 and dont miss 3rd 50% (I will also NLS at times) when under the gun. Maybe experience with yrs of owning a manual car and it may be that I dont have my seat too laid back. I'm not saying eat the windshield, but tilting it forward and inch at a time till your shifts are more on target could be helpful. Just my thoughts. The shifters have been known to be a little sloppy, and while I had mine out for clutch replacement I found the rear shifter cap screws had come out and it was making my Creative Steel shifter sloppy.. Installed new screws and its TIGHT now.! Best of luck

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have done some practicing with NLS and have been both successful and unsuccessful many times. I've noticed it doesnt usually work if you initiate the shift over about 6000 rpm, it seems to hit a hard limiter and kill the power for a sec even if you get it into gear successfully. It also seems harder to get it into gear quickly at higher rpms so I've missed a lot of shifts and hit 6900+ rpm in neutral a few times so far with no noticeable negative effects. I think my limiter is around 6550 rpm.

Never tried on this car but it doesn’t make much sense that you would hit 6900 when you linger is at 6500, are you 100% sure?
Also my subaru i changed the tune and could set the soft limit during nls and worked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Basically you need to make sure you can reach 3rd & 5th with your body square & head/shoulders back against the seat without over extending your elbow.

Also preload the shifter before touching the clutch. You can pull/push pretty hard while on the throttle without it coming out of gear. This way as soon as you touch the clutch, thereby releasing the load off the trans it immediately moves to the next gear.

I learned this procedure on Muncie 4 speed without the aid of a rev limiter, where you got to replace valves when you missed a shift.
These internal rail transmission are cake in comparison with about 1/2 the travel & force required to shift them fast... it just takes practice.
The old saying is that if your hand hurts after a pass, then you did it well. A good shifter with adjustable stops is recommended to prevent shift fork damage when you are really using some force.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Here's a good one to watch.

It's awesome watching someone nail perfect shifts...
This guy is 62.

Heres a classic.. Ole Grumpy Jenkins.. with cigar in mouth, watch him pumping his arm. Go to 5:45 on vid

·
Registered
165 Posts
^^^ That's too funny. :) NLS takes a lot of practice and is harder in a modded car that revs quicker. It's pretty easy on a bone stock car because it revs so slow. A perfectly executed NLS will not flare and just drop in rpm like an auto. You have to shift very fast and right before redline. Using the Ranger method you can practice clutch engagement and shifting parked (trans warmed up). I agree seating position is critical. Here is a 3-4 shift video I did last year.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
^That zl1 video didnt sound like NLS to me, mine does increase in revs and I think it just stays on the NLS softer limiter for a sec, no boost lost and actually a bit of a boost spike for me.

I think my seating position is good, it may have been my timing with the clutch that was off on the failed attempts.

Never tried on this car but it doesn’t make much sense that you would hit 6900 when you linger is at 6500, are you 100% sure?
Also my subaru i changed the tune and could set the soft limit during nls and worked great.
Torque (app) has recorded the RPM numbers I am stating, and I actually had over 7000 recorded earlier today. Im not sure if its actually true because I did not miss the shift it was a successful NLS 2-3-4 without any power loss :

My normal WOT boost is 12.9-13.5 PSI but it hit 15.7 on this NLS pull

Not sure if i should trust the app but I think most data is accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I NLS at pretty much redline and it has been succesful almost every time. When i first started trying it out i did miss 2-3 shift twice but since then been able to nail it every time. It all happens so fast i just hear a big fire ball spit out as soon as that next gear is engaged and keep pushing. I did install a LPE box for launch control though so that may be changing the way the factory NLS works slightly since the box activates when the clutch is fully depressed

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds interesting ^ I dont think i get fireballs because I have cats

There is a successful 2-3-4 NLS i did earlier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts