Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking all over for a magnetic phone mount that works worth a crap. I used a scosche dash mount for a bit but the dash is soft touch and it fell off as soon as it got mildly warm, and I didn't want to use a stronger adhesive and risk messing up the dash material.

I knew I needed something very skinny to fit on the gloss black area of the interior trim for better adhesion and still be high up enough to see it but not obstruct the windshield. I tested a flush mount version first, but settled on this swivel version and it's promising.

There's a metal plate on the back that you can unscrew and bend to a slight curve so it's adheres better to the slightly curved surface. I then put the screws back in and tightened (but not all the way as to make the plate flat again) and cut out some PE foam double sided tape from my scosche kit and mounted it and it's good to go. It came with that reusable clear sticky tape so you could probably use that too.

The swivel should prevent the phone from catching the infotainment screen when it pops up, which is a problem I had with the flush mount version. The swivel is tight enough to not move accidentally as it's kept in place by the friction of the backing plate as well as a rubber washer.

they make a chrome version and this black chrome version that I used.

Chrome (listing picture inaccurate btw) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08TYR9...abc_EZANTTN5KZNHBX9XKSSH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Black chrome

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
Would it work on the vent to the left of the steering wheel, near the A pillar?
I prefer that location, and currently have a window mount that is wireless charging.

Sent from my iPhone using motherf’n Tapatalk!

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I prefer that location, and currently have a window mount that is wireless charging.

Magnetic and wireless?

I used this on the passenger vent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm not sure there's a good spot for it over there that would be on a hard plastic surface.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
I had to go to the Amazon to find it.

If that wireless holder could be integrated with mount....

That is what I have been looking for, instead of using the vent.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, this thing passed muster. Clears the screen popping up on reverse, holds my phone fine, also doubles as a way to keep my radar detector cord out of the way. Worth the $11. You can buy on eBay for $5 if you're willing to wait 6 weeks for it to show up from a slow boat across the world.

·
Premium Member
17,428 Posts
I had to go to the Amazon to find it.

I don’t recommend anything mounted near the A pillar.

Airbag deployment will launch that phone and mount right at your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
2,405 Posts
I don’t recommend anything mounted near the A pillar.

Airbag deployment will launch that phone and mount right at your face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point.
I’ll have to check out my location. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kuda makes a special CTS mounting base in black leather that fits perfectly out of the way, towards the passenger side of the shifter and avoids sun glare and matches the interior almost identically. About $65. You can use any phone bracket on their mount, but the german ones they sell also squeezes the phone so it won't fall out. Very happy with it
DSC00039.JPG
they sell also sq

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Kuda makes a special CTS mounting base in black leather that fits perfectly out of the way, towards the passenger side of the shifter and avoids sun glare and matches the interior almost identically. About $65. You can use any phone bracket on their mount, but the german ones they sell also squeezes the phone so it won't fall out. Very happy with it View attachment 150393 they sell also sq
Is that wireless charging?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kuda makes a special CTS mounting base in black leather that fits perfectly out of the way, towards the passenger side of the shifter and avoids sun glare and matches the interior almost identically. About $65. You can use any phone bracket on their mount, but the german ones they sell also squeezes the phone so it won't fall out. Very happy with it View attachment 150393 they sell also sq
Personal preference, but I like to have my phone a little more in my line of sight with nav on

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT Silver/Black
39 Posts
It was a bit expensive, but I made a custom setup from ProClips. It clips onto the console next to the shifter without sewing or sticky taping anything. And you choose your phone mount based on your phone model or phone case and whether or not you want wired or wireless charging integrated. There is literally nowhere good to mount a universal one in these cars. I had 2 different style Magic Mounts from my 2007 CTS (dash mount and flush mount). The dash mount wouldn't stick to the leather and the flush mount did make enough sense anywhere. I actually got the magic mount option on my ProClip just because my phone cases already had the back plates on them. And it'll be easier when I buy a new phone and don't need to buy a different mount for the new phone. It's such an unusual thing to be an issue not having anywhere good to mount or store your phone. But $65 later... problem solved

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
It was a bit expensive, but I made a custom setup from ProClips. It clips onto the console next to the shifter without sewing or sticky taping anything. And you choose your phone mount based on your phone model or phone case and whether or not you want wired or wireless charging integrated. There is literally nowhere good to mount a universal one in these cars. I had 2 different style Magic Mounts from my 2007 CTS (dash mount and flush mount). The dash mount wouldn't stick to the leather and the flush mount did make enough sense anywhere. I actually got the magic mount option on my ProClip just because my phone cases already had the back plates on them. And it'll be easier when I buy a new phone and don't need to buy a different mount for the new phone. It's such an unusual thing to be an issue not having anywhere good to mount or store your phone. But $65 later... problem solved
I saw those. I wanted higher up and wireless....why I used the Squish.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts