Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Newbie question _CTS-V possible purchase question

Hello Everyone.

I found a 2012 CTS V with 36k miles through Carmax in New Mexico. I had Carmax look it over they stated it was in perfect condition with only one rock chip in the passenger number. No big deal. I paid the $750 to have it shipped to Ca then it arrives a week later. The the salesman calls me and said it had a power seat issue and a slight noise possibly in the rear end. He said they would look it over and repair. Well now it turns out the diff needs to be rebuilt. I am starting to get concerned it was ran hard. It appeared to be a stocker but now who knows. He stated the repairs won't raise the price of the car but I don't want a money pit with issues. My question is would you go through with the purchase for fight for shipping funds to be refunded.

Second question is I have also been looking at Vettes. Would you prefer a CTS V over a a vette if you did it again? I wanted a 4 seater to haul grandkids but starting to get cold feet on the car.

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
The rearend groan is not uncommon. I really don't think it has to do with the abuse it's seen, some are just noisy, some are the type of fluid, or the condition of the fluid.
If you like the car, and it's priced right, let them fix it and warranty it for 12 months or 12K miles, and have them fix the seat as well.

As for the Vettes...many guys here came from Vettes. Many have also gone to Vettes, and still many have gone to Vettes and came back to the V.

It's a very reliable and strong car with four seats, tough to beat at the price point, IMO.

Good luck with your decision.

What part of Cali are you in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I think I am going to buy the Carmax warranty as you suggested.
Im in Tulare, Central Cal.

·
Dick Pickles
5,734 Posts
As stated, the groan is fairly common. But, also, fairly easy to correct with good fluid.

Came from a ‘08 Atomic Orange Z06 and never looked back!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello Everyone.

Second question is I have also been looking at Vettes. Would you prefer a CTS V over a a vette if you did it again? I wanted a 4 seater to haul grandkids but starting to get cold feet on the car.
That's a personal preference question that is difficult to answer. What are your plans for the car? Daily driver or weekend warrior? I owned an '02 Z06 for 12 years and loved the car. It was my daily driver that I took to a few HPDE events and thoroughly enjoyed. When I bought the Vagon I had every intention of keeping the Z06 but after one year I realized I never drove it any more. I sold it a few months later and never looked back. The V is the best of both worlds. It's a comfortable ride when you just want a quiet drive to work, but it's a blast when the road opens up and you want to have some fun. It never fails to put a smile on your face.

Best of luck in your decision either way.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Follow your gut is what I would say. Rear end groan is definitely common. I'm not sure what the warranty costs, but it seems to me you are in a position to push for a discount on that or make them throw it in. It's great they are going to fix the diff, but you are out $750 and the carmax in NM should be held accountable in some way for stringing you along this far without being up front about possible issues.

Doesn't hurt to push them and see what they will do for you.

Regarding the Vette thing...Vs just have a MUCH higher cool factor in my opinion. They are one of a kind and you wont see 10 on your trip to the store. Vettes are great cars and great value, but in a different category from the V. I've just always liked being different :D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Hello Everyone.

I found a 2012 CTS V with 36k miles through Carmax in New Mexico. I had Carmax look it over they stated it was in perfect condition with only one rock chip in the passenger number. No big deal. I paid the $750 to have it shipped to Ca then it arrives a week later. The the salesman calls me and said it had a power seat issue and a slight noise possibly in the rear end. He said they would look it over and repair. Well now it turns out the diff needs to be rebuilt. I am starting to get concerned it was ran hard. It appeared to be a stocker but now who knows. He stated the repairs won't raise the price of the car but I don't want a money pit with issues. My question is would you go through with the purchase for fight for shipping funds to be refunded.

Thanks. I think I am going to buy the Carmax warranty as you suggested.
Im in Tulare, Central Cal.
Rear end is common. They wont rebuild it they'll just get a new one from Caddy. Power seat that's no problem. Carmax doesn't sell shit cars.

Karch didn't suggest you buy a warranty. Carmax should offer you one for a set mileage and time after you purchase. If you plan on doing any mods to the car then don't waste your money with an extended warranty. It'll be useless

·
Registered
872 Posts
As for a Vette, how are your back and knees? After both back and knee surgery I have trouble exiting one. That's also why my V will never be lowered.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just sold my 2012 Centennial Grand Sport last week so I can get a V sedan. I have wanted a Corvette since I can remember (I'll be 50 this year). I purchased the car with the intent of keeping it forever. I searched until I found just the right car - CPO, three years old with 3K on the clock, spotless, etc. I spent $2K out of the gate on a clear bra, tint, blend mount radar detector mount, etc., then used it as a DD for a year. After that year, I decided it was too much of a pain in the ass in the winter with Summer Tires, so it sat...and it sat...and it sat.

My wife initially like driving it, but soon realized it draws a lot of attention, sometimes not in a good way. Two and a half years later, I sold it with just over 10K on the clock. I loved that car (cried when I sold it) but it was extremely impractical, at least for me. I do, and will continue to miss it, but once I find the right V, I will be able to move on. A four door Corvette has its advantages, especially if it doesn't look like a Corvette.

Drive them both, park them both at the grocery store, the movie theater, go through a fast food drive through, drive up your driveway, go over speed bumps...you'll quickly get my drift, especially if you get a wide-body. There literally are roads I could not drive on with my Vette because there were such extreme dips it would have torn the front of the car off (and I'm only slightly exaggerating - the splitter would have been ripped off the car for sure, and I do think worse damage than that). The car was 100% stock, other than insulation in the tunnel and a thicker tunnel plate to help with the heat in the cabin, so this was stock height; scraped my very mild driveway every time I drove it.

Fun car, especially if it's only a weekend, fair weather car. Otherwise, I'll take the V.

Included photos from the day I had it delivered.

Good luck!

Joe

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
Thank you, sir! Albuquerque was the AAA club for the Dodgers as I was growing up, so I've loved them as long as I've wanted a Corvette.
The Dukes. I was in ALB once, went golfing next to the airport (loved the course layout, but it had some nasty rough), and I went to a Dukes game (PCL baseball).

Dodgers had a AAA club there a long long time. I think Koufax might have gone thru there? I believe AA was in Montreal, of all places.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Dukes. I was in ALB once, went golfing next to the airport (loved the course layout, but it had some nasty rough), and I went to a Dukes game (PCL baseball).

Dodgers had a AAA club there a long long time. I think Koufax might have gone thru there? I believe AA was in Montreal, of all places.
The course you are referring to is the University of New Mexico South course. Wedged between the airport and I-25, and ironically pretty close to the old Dukes Stadium, which was rebuilt and named Isotopes Park (after the Simpson's). We have since been the AAA affiliate for the Marlins, then back to the Dodgers for a few years, now the Rockies. Too bad for us.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Rear end is common. They wont rebuild it they'll just get a new one from Caddy. Power seat that's no problem. Carmax doesn't sell shit cars.

Karch didn't suggest you buy a warranty. Carmax should offer you one for a set mileage and time after you purchase. If you plan on doing any mods to the car then don't waste your money with an extended warranty. It'll be useless
Exactly. Hell they will probably just send it to Cadillac to replace it. But if not all GM parts come with a warranty and the diff is one year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you Everyone for the input. I like to the idea to see if Carmax will kick in on the warranty. Even if they don't I will add it myself to be protected. I won't hop the car up until I trust its a dependable ride. Also, this will be my weekend toy and not a DD s o if it does need work Im not without a vehicle. I leaned towards the V because of 4 seats and still do. I just hope its not a money pit. I had an old hotrod C10 prior that I just sold. While it was fun for speed it couldn't take my heavy foot. Always had to fix something. Its the entire reason I was looking for a newer style hotrod, they are supposed to be more dependable. I may be older, but I love to go fast. Carmax called today and stated the rear end won't arrive to next Friday. If something pops up within that time period i might jump on it. Otherwise I'll go with the Carmax car with warranty. Thanks again for the input.

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
If you don’t abuse it in a dumb way, like run low on oil and beat on it, or beat on it before the oil is warm, etc, they tend to not be money pits aside from seeking more and more power, since it’s so easy to go from 475rwhp stock to 600 or 700. Even 800 is attainable without changing the pistons and rods, though that is pushing the limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Karch, your comment leads to me to another question. I want to use the car for travel. Fast travel but still travel. What can I do to keep the car dependable but more HP. I was thinking Pulley swap, exhaust, intake, and tune. I have read with pulley swap I should do injectors as well. Would it still be a dependable ride for a 350 mile trip to Vegas? Not sure if I am want to get into the motor just yet for a cam swap. Also what exhaust do you recommend that not too loud that hammers the cab but still throaty. 630 HP would suit my needs. Im not going to the track anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts
You can go 8.6” lower and 2.55” upper, Airaid intake, injectors, and a mild cam. That should get you right around that number for power, and a good tuner will keep it safe.

Flex fuel will require more fuel pump, so you might not want to go there, depending how close you are to E85, plus E85 will kill your fuel range.

Stage I type cam shouldn’t hurt your mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

As for exhaust, if you can deal with the smog check, you can get headers, otherwise maybe Kooks Green cats and keep the stock mufflers, replace the crimped section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Thanks Karch, that's pertinent info.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts