Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
One vs. two, the difference is simply that two piece is rebuildable. In terms of the braking characteristics, they're the same. Pads, however, do make a huge difference. As stated above, Ceramics are good if you don't like dust or replacing pads. They're bad if you do like braking. Ceramic is hard. Nice, gooey soft organic (or semi) pads wear the fastest and make the most dust but grab the best.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My personal experience with ceramic pads has been with Carbotech. I have used them in 4 cylinder and V8 applications and found them to have plenty of bite even from the midrange compounds. The more aggressive compounds claim even higher mu. When you get into the higher compounds they do need a bit of heat to get the full mu, but that's what pace laps are for. The lower compounds work fine from ambient temp. They do last longer as well, and we're nicer to the rotors.

Obviously there are plenty of other great pads out there as well.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Still reading. Gonna spend some time at home so plenty of time to work on the Cadi. Here's the front left rotor, dirty
When I started this project, I was aggravated about the rust and dust and was set on replace all with aftermarket, slotted rotors, and ceramic pads, fast forward, reading, watching youtube videos on procedures.
I'm now thinking about sticking with stock rotors. 42000 miles. How do I determine if this rotor can be reused, rebuilt, etc.
Thanks for the good tips on pads. Clearly I get pissy about cleaning the dust off my wheels, but good braking is more important than my arrogance about the dust. Sorry for any mechanical ignorance. I do like to perform as much as possible myself.
As I look at this rotor, it appears that I can pull off the 10 fasteners, remove the hat??, disks, wire wheel the carrier, buy new disks, hardware, re-assemble, buy new pads, Brembo soft gooey pads. Sorry if incorrect verbiage.
So is this a viable option?
flrotor.jpg
Thanks for all great feedback!

·
Registered
19 Posts
The rotors typically have a minimum thickness indicated somewhere on them, likely near the hat. You can take them to any place that turns rotors and they will measure for you it needed. If you're under the minimum thickness, they won't turn them. For what it's worth, O'Reilly turned my 2-piece track abused Wilwoods with aluminum hats without issue for $20 each.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Just from looking at that rotor I would say it’s probably done and needs a new set. Discard thickness is 32mm for the front and 26mm rear. So if it is under that amount or under that amount after tuning it need to be replaced.

Still have not seen any after market or Oem for that matter replacement rings for the fronts. So you are stuck buying complete new rotors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can someone point me in the right direction to research, discuss and upgrade my Brakes.
I'm hesitantly trying to ask question here because I'm not sure how to do this.
Just joined 3/20/20. Wheels, pads, rotors are off. Confused by all of the available options for purchase.
Don' want to interrupt the ctsvowners.com flowof information, or breach protocols for posting, or appear impolite because of my lack of knowledge of the website.
One thing is for sure, I love my V! Any Help is appreciated!
I agree with ya about the protocol here. Seems the rules are VERY tough with what you can and cannot do. Every time I post it seems someone or some moderator says something. Walking on eggshells here.

I do like the brake info. I’ve only had my V for less than 2 weeks, and haven’t dug that deep into the front end yet, but am excited and ready to do it. Good luck with your brakes and enjoy your V!
Did I mention I too LOVE MY V!!

·
Super Moderator
20,660 Posts
I agree with ya about the protocol here. Seems the rules are VERY tough with what you can and cannot do. Every time I post it seems someone or some moderator says something. Walking on eggshells here.

I do like the brake info. I’ve only had my V for less than 2 weeks, and haven’t dug that deep into the front end yet, but am excited and ready to do it. Good luck with your brakes and enjoy your V!
Did I mention I too LOVE MY V!!
HA!

Yeah, tough rules:

No buy, sell, trade, or wtb until you’ve earned a stripe.

No racism.

No politics.

No douchebags unless grandfathered in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just did mine a month or so ago. Did a write up after.

·
Super Moderator
16,718 Posts
HA!

Yeah, tough rules:

No buy, sell, trade, or wtb until you’ve earned a stripe.

No racism.

No politics.

No douchebags unless grandfathered in.

I am grandfathered!!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts