Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I just bought a manual black ‘12 V sedan with 51k on it. I bought it from Rob Green Buick GMC (so an actual GM dealer) in Idaho and had it shipped to me. They told me they had done a thorough inspection and that it only needed new tires, pads, and rotors which they replaced. Here’s the short list of issues

• clutch engages almost all the way at the very, very end of the pedal swing. I did the 1st to 5th test and there was no slippage. But wow the clutch is high. Is this normal foe these cars? Based on my quick search I’d say no.
  • engine sounds like it has direct injection. I did a quick search last night in my anger after getting the car and the only thing that came up regarding direct injection is the 3.6. The drive train is super loud ajd sounds more like my fiesta ST (which has direct injection) rather than the older corvettes ive been around. There’s also a pretty troubling metallic sound that you can hear every 10 seconds or so that sounds like a lifter is knocking on something or maybe it’s the SC and I’m just not familiar with its quirks yet.
  • told I’d get 2 keys, got one full key and one spare metal key without the fob attached. The main key is held together with electrical tape.
  • massive chip in the windshield, though they’ll claim the shipper did that.
  • the gauge hood isn’t held down on the right side and rattles like crazy. I’m thinking someone thought it just clipped in and tried ripping it out and broke the hooks on the right side.

Needless to say I paid a premium in this market after saving for years and I’m pretty freaking bummed. Car was sold as is. I’m calling them today but if they sold a car this bad I doubt they’ll be willing to stand behind their product.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You can try removing the sc belt and see if noise goes away, the spring loaded isolater is a know issue. You can also look into getting the sc replaced if it hasn’t been via the 10 yr special warranty. Used fobs are cheap and easy to self program, same with the gauge hood, easy to find them on eBay and such. Doesn’t have to be a v one they are all the same, 5 minutes to swap out. Good luck with the new ride and post up some pictures!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can try removing the sc belt and see if noise goes away, the spring loaded isolater is a know issue. You can also look into getting the sc replaced if it hasn’t been via the 10 yr special warranty. Used fobs are cheap and easy to self program, same with the gauge hood, easy to find them on eBay and such. Doesn’t have to be a v one they are all the same, 5 minutes to swap out. Good luck with the new ride and post up some pictures!

The belt removal is a good idea.
The previous dealer is having me drop it off at a local dealer and they’ll pay for the gauge hood and the keys to be replaced. It’s good they’re standing behind their product. The more I drive the clutch the less I’m worried about it. It does seem slightly high on the pedal travel but not as high as I originally thought. Maybe 2/3s of the way through the travel it engages.

That’s a good tip to diagnose the SC. I’ll take a look.

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
798 Posts
The belt removal is a good idea.
The previous dealer is having me drop it off at a local dealer and they’ll pay for the gauge hood and the keys to be replaced. It’s good they’re standing behind their product. The more I drive the clutch the less I’m worried about it. It does seem slightly high on the pedal travel but not as high as I originally thought. Maybe 2/3s of the way through the travel it engages.

That’s a good tip to diagnose the SC. I’ll take a look.

View attachment 156055
The local dealer should be able to run the vin and see if your sc was replaced through the warranty, if not see if the tech can associate the noise with that warranty and get you a new sc. it’s 10 yrs so being a 12 your warranty is up this year. You can google the special warranty regarding the supercharger, or read through the threads here there’s plenty of reading regarding it

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
When you get a new whip, it’s tough for everything to be perfect. A little work over a couple months will square that thing away for miles of smiles. It’s a good platform - once you are situated with identifying all the used car problems and address them, which only seems to be a few things thankfully, then you’ll look back at the effort being worth it. Enjoy the new ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,812 Posts
That's nice to hear that the dealer helping out with the hood and key fob.

But also, you kind of have to be prepared for these things when buying a car sight-unseen. Do yourself a favor and change the oil while you're doing maintenance.

And the transmission fluid.

And the rear differential fluid.

And get that supercharger replaced!!!

·
Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Auto Skyview
609 Posts
I’m not super knowledgeable like these guys, so hopefully they’re right and you’ll be set pretty soon. Honestly tho, I‘m bummed for ya, and once again these stealerships stick it to someone without fully disclosing all of the vehicles issues, even tho they’ve banked big money!! Although I’ve never bought a vehicle online, I will say it‘s been tempting many times. This is a reminder as to why it’s not always a good idea. maybe we’ve all learned a little something here!
Good luck with it all! You’ll love this car like HUGN*RDS said 👍🏼

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
@Geetee3 Hood gauge?

I second or third replacing the differential fluid that has the slip additive....I used Royal Purple but a lot of guys use the Dextron.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
The piece of the dash that goes over the gauge cluster, some call it a hood. I believe that’s what he’s referring to
Thanks....

·
Premium Member
13,565 Posts
just because its a 2012 doesn't necessarily mean your 10 year SC warranty is up
warranty starts the day it was put into service, not by model year or even build date

if it was replaced there was a specific TSB for manual cars that had the SC replaced.
it would also depend on when they did it, for a while they went with a solid then they went back over to a greased up spring
slight chance they may change the snout if the SC had already been replaced and its still making noise

·
Premium Member
2011 CTS-V Coupe with a blue wrap. Cam, smaller pulley, larger injectors, methanol injection.
489 Posts
I'm just here for updates. Hopefully, the SC hasn't been replaced and you end up with a new one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Per the carfax it hasn’t been replaced. Obviously that won’t give all the details. Something is definitely making a ton of noise in there. The previous owner was the original owner and my concern is that he dumped it for a reason. I don’t have a copy of that carfax so can’t easily see when the car was first purchased. I’ll wait until the local dealer looks it up for me. I’m hopeful that if it is out of warranty and the dealer here can tell the dealer in Idaho they sold me a car with a bum SC they’ll cover replacing it (a bit optimistic I know).

Regarding buying online, I agree. I’ve been burned a couple times buying sight unseen. However finding a manual 4 door V with a black interior and recaros with 50k miles or less is tough. Virtually none come available in St Louis. If I wanted to get my preferences I had to take my chances. I should’ve been smart and demanded a third party inspection, but with how fast the Vs at this price point have been selling, I just jumped on it and hopefully I won’t be paying too much of a price for my lack of discretion.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Just an FYI. In most cases the whole supercharger is not bad. The bad part is the spring isolator which is located in the snout. If the isolator has worn the inside, all that needs replacing is the isolator and the snout. However, GM in their wisdom doesn't want mechanics spending time diagnosing and taking the supercharger apart so the TSB says to replace the whole supercharger. The best thing is to replace the spring isolator with a solid isolator to avoid a repeat of the problem. Here's the part in question. Solid Isolator They used a spring isolator when they replaced my supercharger and I put in a solid isolator when I got it back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an FYI. In most cases the whole supercharger is not bad. The bad part is the spring isolator which is located in the snout. If the isolator has worn the inside, all that needs replacing is the isolator and the snout. However, GM in their wisdom doesn't want mechanics spending time diagnosing and taking the supercharger apart so the TSB says to replace the whole supercharger. The best thing is to replace the spring isolator with a solid isolator to avoid a repeat of the problem. Here's the part in question. Solid Isolator They used a spring isolator when they replaced my supercharger and I put in a solid isolator when I got it back.
Thank you! I had read this about the isolator and was wondering why the whole SC got replaced under warranty.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Per the carfax it hasn’t been replaced. Obviously that won’t give all the details. Something is definitely making a ton of noise in there. The previous owner was the original owner and my concern is that he dumped it for a reason. I don’t have a copy of that carfax so can’t easily see when the car was first purchased. I’ll wait until the local dealer looks it up for me. I’m hopeful that if it is out of warranty and the dealer here can tell the dealer in Idaho they sold me a car with a bum SC they’ll cover replacing it (a bit optimistic I know).

Regarding buying online, I agree. I’ve been burned a couple times buying sight unseen. However finding a manual 4 door V with a black interior and recaros with 50k miles or less is tough. Virtually none come available in St Louis. If I wanted to get my preferences I had to take my chances. I should’ve been smart and demanded a third party inspection, but with how fast the Vs at this price point have been selling, I just jumped on it and hopefully I won’t be paying too much of a price for my lack of discretion.
Next time put a deposit down(which i did in my V) and have that 3rd party inspection done. That way they’ll hold the car you want until it can be inspected. Not to brag, but fortunately for me I work for a major airline and have been able to fly to different cities to buy my cars. Very lucky in that regard. When I bought Lucille, there was a guy literally waiting to see if I bought it. Stole that MFr!! All bc of the deposit!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Next time put a deposit down(which i did in my V) and have that 3rd party inspection done. That way they’ll hold the car you want until it can be inspected. Not to brag, but fortunately for me I work for a major airline and have been able to fly to different cities to buy my cars. Very lucky in that regard. When I bought Lucille, there was a guy literally waiting to see if I bought it. Stole that MFr!! All bc of the deposit!
This dealer doesn’t accept deposits which is something that seems to becoming more common in recent years. Probably another red flag I should’ve recognized.

To be clear though I’m not as bummed as I originally was. I love the black diamond paint and it is a super clean car. Just need to figure out these other issues.

·
Premium Member
13,565 Posts
there have been a few revisions to the TSB for the SC noise, one of them was snout only not the entire blower

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
This dealer doesn’t accept deposits which is something that seems to becoming more common in recent years. Probably another red flag I should’ve recognized.

To be clear though I’m not as bummed as I originally was. I love the black diamond paint and it is a super clean car. Just need to figure out these other issues.
Yeah, just chalk it up to a lesson learned. So don’t be too bummed, you have yourself a badass car and once you get it all fixed up, you’ll be happy as hell!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts