Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Newbie here. I wanted to share an interesting experience regarding my newly purchased '12 V COUPE.
I recently purchased (3 wks ago) an absolutely PRISTINE 2012 V coupe in a very rare color of MOCHA STEEL METALLIC. I've never seen another coupe , much less a V in this color. It is absolutely spotless with 16k miles (yes...sixteen thousand miles). It has all options I'm aware of including sued knob and steering wheel and Recaros. Not a spot,chip,ding on it. I purchased it from a dealership in seattle that is part of a HUGE (180 store) chain with all brands. I traded in my crystal red 2011 v coupe with 59k miles on it. I never had problem 1 with my red one and loved it but I could not pass this new one up. The dealer knew everything about the brand they were selling but were absolutely clueless about the V. The salesman actually asked me if it "really had a corvette motor in it". Unbelievable, I know.
Anyway, I was smitten immediately as this '12 was actually faster than my 2011 (without the K&N and Corsa exhausrt)so, I bought it and at a good price as well !. The car came with a 3k mile ,90 day bumper to bumper warranty (I would have bought it without...after all the car was all but new with 16k miles right ?). Aftrer owning it about 2 weeks and 500 miles, I had really bonded with this car. Labor Day weekend my wife and I took a 150 mi. roadtrip to the lake and I had fun on the curvy roads in sport mode, shifting manually. On the way home, the ck engine lite came on as well as traction control. My first thought was MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR since that triggered the ck engine lite a couple of times in my last one and I had just installed the K&N CAI the day before, but when it gave it gas it bogged down like it was running on 6 cyl. so, I hobbled into the nearest caddy dealer (luckily about 10 mi away). Left it with them and after 3 days, they finally found the culprit..... A TINY PINHOLE IN THE BLOCK in cyl 8. They also found a bit of rust on top of the piston and evidence of "water intrusion" on cyl 8. They only discovered this after finding a TSB mention a "few" bad LSA block castings that had escaped Mr. Goodwrenches inspection.
OK.... no worries right ? my car has a 3k miles , 90 day bumper to bumper warranty right ? Well..... the estimate from the cadillac dealer came in at $15,600.00 ! they ascertained that it needed a new Longblock ($9500) plus various gaskets,seals,fluids and labor. YIKES !. So, the dealer I bought the car from (not the caddy dealer) called and said that one option would be to take the car back and give me my old car back..... I told them that would not work for many reasons. Well.... at the bottom of the warranty it said "we reserve the right to use used parts" for repairs. I told them that I paid ALOT of money for a car with 16,000 miles on it and It would not be right to put a new engine with 50-60k miles on it back in the car (especially considering the way most of us "V" owners drive our cars,right?). Anyway, come to find out that while they were telling me they were on my side and trying to get the repairs OK'd with "the warranty company" , they were in fact self insured, meaning THEY fix the car. The only reason why my car ended up at a Cadillac dealer is because I live 150 miles from one of their dealerships. So, they did not want to get stuck with a $15,600 bill and thats why THEY wanted to only ok a USED engine.
Well..... As luck would have it, a USED LSA engine is as much or more than a new GM GOODWRENCH LONGBLOCK.
So, I hope the caddy dealer does a good job and I will be happy if they do. Buyer beware right ?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Get it fixed and trade it in on something else. IMO,,,, no need to get excited about low mileage cars that aren't collectibles....

Reactions: Prime Time

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Fight for what's right. If they won't fix it to your liking give it back to them

1 - 3 of 3 Posts