Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I need to bounce some ideas off of you
At 60K miles I discovered that I had a catastrophic failure of my inter-cooler brick which resulted in it dumping all of the inter-cooler fluid down into the cylinders while under load. The long and short is that the car received a new GM LSA as a result.

While being evaluated it was also discovered that I had some major pitting to the tops of the pistons due likely to detonation. I will submit that he car did NOT have a catch can installed which could explain some of the pitting. I will allow myself to think that the engine ingesting a steady diet of inter-cooler fluid was also like a contributor to the pitting issue.
The car was modded at the time of failure with the following:
2.55 Upper pulley
Air-Raid Intake
Rear Cat delete(primary stock cats still in place)
Stock injectors.
Custom Tune on a Dyno in January of 2017

The car was put back to stock with exception to the custom tune which remained.

While undergoing the swap to the new engine the tech offered to install headers on the car if I had them. I was able to locate a set of headers and a mid pipe in time and those were installed prior to the new mill going back in.
The current mods as of this post are:
Stock Intake
Stock Pulley
Custom Tune (From previous 2.55 setup)
Off-Road Long Tubes 2" Primaries to 3" collectors, 3"mids/X pipe on back and currently dumping at diff.(Will reinstall the stock mufflers later this week)

This is where I need some guidance, I am inclined to re-mod the car again but would like to give the engine about 500-1000 shake down miles so that if there is an issue, I don't have to repeat the same process again.
So do I:

Option A) Drop a stock ecm into the car, and enjoy the headers and poor fuel econ along with a CEL?
Option B) Get a band aided tune for the interim and run the Air-Raid and Headers with the likelihood that it could be a full cost tune since it is a new combination. Also there is no guarantee that my tuner has any availability?
Option C) Drive the car as is for another week or two with the old tune, while I purchase another 2.55 pulley, find injectors, and then have the car re-tuned when the tuner has some availability?
Option D) <Insert Joke Here>

Thanks ya'll

Michael

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
INJECTORS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! FIC 850’s will go on when I swap back to the 2.55 from stock.

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
Just be sure you get bigger injectors before you change the pulley.

You can probably drive on your tune if you don’t go into much power, else, the risk is yours.

You should get an Airaid, pulley, injectors, AND tune.

Who is your tuner? It’s odd he can’t take 15 min to flash the stock tune back in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Karch, it is Vengeance. I actually spoke with them this morning and will be headed to them next week for the stock tune to be dropped back in.
Vengeance is who tuned the car after I purchased it in June of 2016 and then revised the tune in January of 2017.

So far I am on 100 miles since picking the car up last Thursday night. I have been 1/2-5/8 throttle and kept revs below 5K which I don't consider to be overly taxing even on the new engine. I will try another way to get the stock tune on before next week but if that doesn't work then I will have to wait until early next week as Vengeance is in the throws of preparing a large sum of cars for an imminent race and also completing a large number of customer builds that are wrapping up.

The plan for the car after break in, will be to put a new 2.55 pulley back on, re-install the air-raid intake, drop the FIC 850s into the car, possibly do a flexfuel sensor, and then have the car tuned again.

·
Super Moderator
20,830 Posts
Great to hear it’s Vengeance.

You may want to pull the blower belt. Peak torque is probably around 3500 rpm, so it’s not just high rpm that can do damage. It’s peak torque that has the highest pressure in the cylinder.

But, that being said, lower boost with the stock pulley should equate to less chances for problems, but, again, I always heed caution.

Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man. I pushed it a little more than comfortable yesterday and saw about 5500 RPMS one time and roughly 6 lbs of boost for a split second. I immediately put the clutch in and swore at myself to do better about driving it like a grandma. Fringe benefit of the headers is that they helped to drop the boost by 2PSI over the stock pulley.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts