Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pick up my 2018 CTS-V with 38k on it from the stealership Tuesday. We had a little fight over the brakes. On my test drive I could tell the rotors were warped so I asked them to check the brakes. They said they have 8mm in front and 7mm in the back all good. I was like no not all good. Rotors are warped, carfax shows they have already been cut once. You need to put new rotors and pads on it before I will take delivery. Grudgingly they are doing it.

I'm coming from a stock 2018 ZL1. Sold my truck and now getting my kids (7 and 3) in and out of the camaro daily suck ass.

I can tell this car has mods so there are some questions I'm hoping the folks here can answer for me.

I can tell it has a cam, and full exhaust headers back not sure what brand, and there is an hp tuners box in the trunk with what looks like a factory ecm. Do the tuners come with a new module? I thought they just unlocked the existing one. Also the exhaust smell at the back of the car was not regular fuel or race fuel ... so I'm wondering what an e85 sensor looks like on one of these.

Also damn I wish I had bought one of these two years ago when I was first interested cause I'm paying about 15k more now for the same damn car, though I made it back on the sale of my truck. Any thoughts on what issues to watch out for would be appreciated as well.

· Registered
2011 thunder grey coupe a6 recaros.
1,079 Posts

Reactions: KenH

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Welcome aboard, that’s a link to the flex sensor, should be rear passenger side of engine. Post up some pictures of the new ride!

Reactions: KenH

· Registered
1,079 Posts
Looks really clean, red obsession looks great on the v3, just needs a full chrome delete now….

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I could part with the zl1 for anything except a zr1, but welcome aboard.
I said that too until I sold my truck and had to put the kids in and out of the ZL1 daily. I gotta have 4 doors and lots of horsepower in a car that's not trash.

Yes I had the A10 in my ZL1. Going back to the 8 speed I don't expect will be a big change for me. I mean I know the paddles are going to suck so they are basically just a nice magnesium decoration and it can be a little clunkier, but thinking about what the CTS-V is supposed to be compared to the ZL1 I think my expectations are in line.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was the zl1 a 10speed? interested in hearing how going back to the a8 feels
Honestly for the 150 miles or so I'd driven it I actually like the 8 speed better. It holds gears longer and allows me to apply some throttle without dropping down 4 gears and up 3k rpm. It doesn't treat every scenario where I want a little bit of speed as an attempt at full on racing. Not sure how much of that is trans programming that could be given to the zl1, but comparing the two as they sit I'm super happy with the decision to switch.

I also scheduled a dyno tuning session with a local performance shop to make sure the tune is safe and good. It smells like the car runs a little rich at idle.

· Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Auto with a view of the Moon
874 Posts
Gosh damn that ZL1 is bad ass! Probably the only car I’d drive other than Lucille! I understand tho, back in the day I had to sell my IROC-Z for a 1993 Nissan Altima bc of the kids. Ugh! That really sucked All grown now tho, that’s why I drive a V! Welcome my friend!

· Registered
49 Posts
Honestly for the 150 miles or so I'd driven it I actually like the 8 speed better. It holds gears longer and allows me to apply some throttle without dropping down 4 gears and up 3k rpm. It doesn't treat every scenario where I want a little bit of speed as an attempt at full on racing. Not sure how much of that is trans programming that could be given to the zl1, but comparing the two as they sit I'm super happy with the decision to switch.

I also scheduled a dyno tuning session with a local performance shop to make sure the tune is safe and good. It smells like the car runs a little rich at idle.

good to hear, I'm wondering if what was in the trunk was a tcm and it may have had the trans tuned also. (they need to be sent in to be unlocked, or i think hptuners can flash another one and just swap them.
i've only had mine (2017completely stock) for couple months and had the trans stutter, and flared shifts etc - I was pretty annoyed with it right off the bat. gm replaced the converter/flushed the trans, and im guessing updated the tcm cause its 100x better now

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
good to hear, I'm wondering if what was in the trunk was a tcm and it may have had the trans tuned also. (they need to be sent in to be unlocked, or i think hptuners can flash another one and just swap them.
i've only had mine (2017completely stock) for couple months and had the trans stutter, and flared shifts etc - I was pretty annoyed with it right off the bat. gm replaced the converter/flushed the trans, and im guessing updated the tcm cause its 100x better now
Yeah this trans seems very well behaved. Back when I had my 2016 2SS I know there were a lot of issues with the trans. GM started putting a heavier fluid in them to get rid of the clunkiness and tighten up the converter. I have an appointment for the 4th to go through the mods and dyno the car to make sure it has a healthy tune. Hopefully I'll be able to find out a lot more info on it than what I know now. I'll take a look at the module in the trunk tomorrow and see if I can look up the PN and see what it is.

UPDATE: The HP Tuners box was from a T87A unlocked TCM. I'm guessing the TCM in the box is the factory locked one.

· Registered
7,345 Posts
Yeah this trans seems very well behaved. Back when I had my 2016 2SS I know there were a lot of issues with the trans. GM started putting a heavier fluid in them to get rid of the clunkiness and tighten up the converter. I have an appointment for the 4th to go through the mods and dyno the car to make sure it has a healthy tune. Hopefully I'll be able to find out a lot more info on it than what I know now. I'll take a look at the module in the trunk tomorrow and see if I can look up the PN and see what it is.

UPDATE: The HP Tuners box was from a T87A unlocked TCM. I'm guessing the TCM in the box is the factory locked one.
Looks like you beat me to it, but was gonna say its probably a TCM if the cars a 2017+ need an unlocked one to tune the trans.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.