Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

601 - 620 of 626 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Fuck Hennessy. And as far as I know there is no tuning solution for the C8, so all these TT builds are for internet clicks only. I haven't seen any make big power or put up impressive track numbers.

·
Vendor
12,988 Posts
Fuck Hennessy. And as far as I know there is no tuning solution for the C8, so all these TT builds are for internet clicks only. I haven't seen any make big power or put up impressive track numbers.
Guys are going old school for now manipulating sensor output with inline devices to add fuel and pull timing out of the stock tune.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Guys are going old school for now manipulating sensor output with inline devices to add fuel and pull timing out of the stock tune.
Thats not so "old school" As in people still do it on very expensive cars. lol

Terry Burger has made a ton of money selling JB4 piggybacks to BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche etc owners and they do seem to work well in a lot of cases.

IMO I would much rather do a real flash tune but piggybacks have come a long way and do have results on track.

·
Vendor
12,988 Posts
Thats not so "old school" As in people still do it on very expensive cars. lol

Terry Burger has made a ton of money selling JB4 piggybacks to BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche etc owners and they do seem to work well in a lot of cases.

IMO I would much rather do a real flash tune but piggybacks have come a long way and do have results on track.
Think more like MAF translators and LPE timing boxes then a JB4.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Think more like MAF translators and LPE timing boxes then a JB4.
Oh lol. Well Im going to tell Terry he has a market in the C8 for the JB4.

·
Vendor
12,988 Posts
Oh lol. Well Im going to tell Terry he has a market in the C8 for the JB4.
Yes and no. That kind of stuff works on factory boosted and stock cam applications but you really need more control for the type of builds people will want to do. And I would not be surprised if the change the ECM yet again for the upcoming Z06

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Yes and no. That kind of stuff works on factory boosted and stock cam applications but you really need more control for the type of builds people will want to do. And I would not be surprised if the change the ECM yet again for the upcoming Z06
Does the C8 use the same new ECU as the C7 ZR1 used that was real hard to get into?

·
3,940 Posts
Savagegeese review.

I like the car from the video.
Even without a manual option :(in a couple years when you can buy these for $50k I don’t see why I wouldn’t. I could see the Mrs. driving this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #612 (Edited)
Translux, Thanks for posting. That was the best review I have watched in years, no sunglasses, no man buns, no gimicks and staged props, just straight forward no BS INFORMATION. I liked the fact that neither one of them talked about themselves one bit, usually you hear "as a race car driver, blah, blahm, blah." Great video.

Couple of take aways;
Pro's
-Fully adjustable suspension from the factory
-Ability to corner balance out of the chute
-Aluminum bonded unibody
-Underneath has front to rear flat bottom to channel air flow
-Tremec (Porsche copy) DC Trans
-305's in the rear
-Interior
-Serviceability
-cost
-Designed for the client in mind GM knows their demographic
-hosts mentioned in the same breath as Mercedes GT, NSX, Mclaren MP412c and MP 570. That's impressive company for a fraction of the price.

Con's
-Aluminum bonded unibody (Think Porsche Cayman they are throwaways if you make contact at the track and damage the tub)
-Brake by wire
-No manual (yet)
-Understeer
-Numb feeling
-Rear view (who cares, right)

I really enjoyed those two guys, solid all the way. I will have this car in about 3-4 for my last track car once the bugs are worked out and I'll buy a track ready car that someone has spent all the money on.

Autobahn I have never been to, the flatness and clear line of sight through the turns is always fun to look at. My tracks are all blind late apexes and some are shitholes. (Nelson Ledges) That place sure is clean.

Xtreme Xperience - Did a coaching event for them a few years back, he said traveling circus and that's the truth. They tout full on race lapping in a supercar of your choice at a track near you. I was never so horrified in the right seat. Made about $1000 for the weekend to babysit and basically put my life on the line. Most people were great and it was a bucket list type of thing. 1 car 3 laps $300, the hard core guys would opt for the hat trick package and want to wring out every nickel. It was a line of people, once done, pictures and onto the next driver. Never again.

·
3,940 Posts
Translux, Thanks for posting. That was the best review I have watched in years, no sunglasses, no man buns, no gimicks and staged props, just straight forward no BS INFORMATION. I liked the fact that neither one of them talked about themselves one bit, usually you hear "as a race car driver, blah, blahm, blah." Great video.

Couple of take aways;
Pro's
-Fully adjustable suspension from the factory
-Ability to corner balance out of the chute
-Aluminum bonded unibody
-Underneath has front to rear flat bottom to channel air flow
-Tremec (Porsche copy) DC Trans
-305's in the rear
-Interior
-Serviceability
-cost
-Designed for the client in mind GM knows their demographic
-hosts mentioned in the same breath as Mercedes GT, NSX, Mclaren MP412c and MP 570. That's impressive company for a fraction of the price.

Con's
-Aluminum bonded unibody (Think Porsche Cayman they are throwaways if you make contact at the track and damage the tub)
-Brake by wire
-No manual (yet)
-Understeer
-Numb feeling
-Rear view (who cares, right)

I really enjoyed those two guys, solid all the way. I will have this car in about 3-4 for my last track car once the bugs are worked out and I'll buy a track ready car that someone has spent all the money on.

Autobahn I have never been to, the flatness and clear line of sight through the turns is always fun to look at. My tracks are all blind late apexes and some are shitholes. (Nelson Ledges) That place sure is clean.

Xtreme Xperience - Did a coaching event for them a few years back, he said traveling circus and that's the truth. They tout full on race lapping in a supercar of your choice at a track near you. I was never so horrified in the right seat. Made about $1000 for the weekend to babysit and basically put my life on the line. Most people were great and it was a bucket list type of thing. 1 car 3 laps $300, the hard core guys would opt for the hat trick package and want to wring out every nickel. It was a line of people, once done, pictures and onto the next driver. Never again.
Yah I like these guys. Deeper tech dive is great and their practical opinions and real world perspectives are refreshing. They’re located where I grew up in North West Illinois and I recognize the roads they film on.

Autobahn is about 30 min from me. I’ve been there many times for manufactures ride and drives & there’s a company-Laps- that rents the track and you can pay a couple bucks and thrash your own car and get some instruction. North & south tracks can be connected and that’s when it’s really fun. This is where I got to go for some hot laps with Hurley Haywood in a Carrera GT. What an experience watching someone with so much ability up close and personal. Like all the greats he made it look effortless.

Sadly it’s a private membership only track with a large up front fee plus equally large annual dues. Also lots available to build garages/man caves. I was close when they were looking for initial members/investors many years ago. It was touch-and-go for awhile but all those guys made out like bandits.

Some crazy collections of cars. Founder of Jimmy Johns used to have, still may IDK a bunch of new exotics that he’d fly in what I assumed were franchisees for some fun. Also couple guys with big money cars both new and vintage that would drive em hard. Always respected these guys. I mean what’s the point of having them if they don’t get driven. With many being priceless or unable to be registered for street use where else could you drive them? I couldn’t imagine being on a public road in something like a vintage Ferrari or a McLaren F1. When I’ve been out with my friend in his 918 the amount of people that are driving recklessly to get a a picture is unnerving.

Your experience with the Xtreme Xperience doesn’t sound like fun. When I’m with an instructor I try and really listen and understand vs balls out. I did scare one instructor in my E60 M5. She assumed it was just a normal big sedan. When I hit 150 on the main straight she didn’t think we’d be able to slow down to make the quick left at the end and was bracing for impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Laps with Hurley Haywood? WTF....The man is a legend.
In '05 I went to the C&D 50th Anniversary event at Indianapolis Raceway Park. I could have had laps with Hurley Haywood in a Carerra GT, instead I chose someone else (can't even remember who) in an RS6 WC race car....because racecar. Fail.

Actually, Petter Solberg in a bone stock STI seemed to be having the most fun and giving his passengers the ride of their lives. There were piles and piles of thoroughly abused tires in the Subaru pits.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #616
In '05 I went to the C&D 50th Anniversary event at Indianapolis Raceway Park. I could have had laps with Hurley Haywood in a Carerra GT, instead I chose someone else (can't even remember who) in an RS6 WC race car....because racecar. Fail.

Actually, Petter Solberg in a bone stock STI seemed to be having the most fun and giving his passengers the ride of their lives. There were piles and piles of thoroughly abused tires in the Subaru pits.
Man to pass up a ride with Hurley, you must be kicking yourself. The pro's make it look so easy and effortless and they are only driving 5-6/10ths with a passenger.

Trans, Autobahn looks like a great place, I was amazed at how well kept the grounds were and how nice the building are. It reminded me of Montecello - private racetrack in NY made with wall street money. Place is the tits. Nothing like private clubs that are well kept. I went into the garages and could not believe the customer cars, everything you could image. The girls that worked there were all hot the locker room was insane and the track was great. No back to my regular scheduled programming of shit tracks and not so nice things.

One day I'll get to AB.

·
3,940 Posts
Man to pass up a ride with Hurley, you must be kicking yourself. The pro's make it look so easy and effortless and they are only driving 5-6/10ths with a passenger.

Trans, Autobahn looks like a great place, I was amazed at how well kept the grounds were and how nice the building are. It reminded me of Montecello - private racetrack in NY made with wall street money. Place is the tits. Nothing like private clubs that are well kept. I went into the garages and could not believe the customer cars, everything you could image. The girls that worked there were all hot the locker room was insane and the track was great. No back to my regular scheduled programming of shit tracks and not so nice things.

One day I'll get to AB.
It was something to see him drive. His corner entry speeds were so fast I thought this is it we're going to crash and then like magic we were already exiting.
The whole time he was looking and talking to me like we were sitting down having a casual chat about the car.

Its been a couple years since I've been to Autobahn but it was always well maintained and super clean. I think the last time was for a BMW M ride & drive. Now that I'm remembering they almost had an incident where a car got waved on way too close to close to a passing car. Everyone was talking and don't think they saw it but the guy that owns the place looked at me and looked like he saw a ghost.

I have some pictures somewhere I see if I can find them.

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Bit of an oops.

·
Premium Member
2,865 Posts
Hard to believe that can happen when you can’t tune it...

601 - 620 of 626 Posts