Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30085091/these-guys-just-drove-an-e63-amg-across-america-in-a-record-27-hours-25-minutes/

After leaving the Red Ball garage on the east side of Manhattan at 12:57 a.m. on November 10, it took Toman, Tabbutt and Chadwick 27 hours and 25 minutes to reach the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach, in L.A.'s South Bay. In a car. If number crunching isn't your thing, allow me to break that down for you. Taking the northern route—I-80 through Nebraska, I-76 down to Denver, I-70 to the middle of Utah and I-15 down into L.A.'s spiderweb of interstates for a total of 2825 miles—Toman and Tabbutt were able to maintain an overall average speed of 103 mph.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Impressive time for sure. Glad no one was hurt,but could care less if these two jerkoffs killed themselves.

·
Super Moderator
16,367 Posts
Yeah that is kinda insane. The cops must know this happens every year and just look the other way for one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
936 Posts
Knocked Richard Rawlings down a notch

Wawooo get you some of that

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Yeah that is kinda insane. The cops must know this happens every year and just look the other way for one day.

It's not an organized race like the movie anymore. I'm sure they keep the date a secret to all but a very small group of people. Cops never know when someone is going to make a run.

·
Super Moderator
16,367 Posts
“Clark, I was afraid you would get pulled over, you have been exceeding the speed limit for thousands of miles........”

·
Super Moderator
16,367 Posts
Wasn’t there a hoax on this record a few years ago?

Plus with this now recorded in the media, wouldn’t the authorities bust them.

Can’t use the racing in Mexico excuse.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn’t there a hoax on this record a few years ago?

Plus with this now recorded in the media, wouldn’t the authorities bust them.

Can’t use the racing in Mexico excuse.

Who would bust them, and with what evidence? Police would have to prove these guys were speeding within their jurisdiction. Plus, the actual run happened months ago.

·
Super Moderator
16,367 Posts
The most impressive part of this is the 22 minutes of refueling time.

Assuming appx 40 gallons per fill up and probably 350-400 gallons total, 9-10 fill ups??

Must have had crew waiting and used two pumps to fill tanks and paid the bill for them,

Next record needs to figure out how to fill from a tanker at speed.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The trunk had a 45 gallon fuel cell in it. I assume it gravity fed the stock tank. When filling up, which I'm sure they rehearsed like a NASCAR pit crew, I assume they used more than 1 pump and nozzle at a time.

So I just looked it up and the car has a 21.1 gallon fuel tank, so they had 66.1 gallons of fuel, but at an average of 100+ mph, I'm sure they were getting single digit MPGs.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Next record needs to figure out how to fill from a tanker at speed.

That would be pretty awesome! Like jet fighters refueling airborne.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,367 Posts
2800 miles at 8 mpg is 350 gallons, 66 gallon tank is appx 5 fill ups

22 min for 5 fill ups is 4.4 min per fill up.

Can two normal gas pumps fill 66 gallons in 4.4 min?

Also the massive amount of electronics, apps and scopes just makes the previous records more impressive.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
They could have used a NASCAR style fueling method to optimize stops.

·
Registered
79 Posts
@Unavowed
The trunk had a 45 gallon fuel cell in it. I assume it gravity fed the stock tank. When filling up, which I'm sure they rehearsed like a NASCAR pit crew, I assume they used more than 1 pump and nozzle at a time. So I just looked it up and the car has a 21.1 gallon fuel tank, so they had 66.1 gallons of fuel, but at an average of 100+ mph, I'm sure they were getting single digit MPGs.
Holy Crap! Dual fill necks too, which means they possibly had 3 nozzles going at once. I'm guessing they must have been peeing in bottles too.

@larry arizona

Also the massive amount of electronics, apps and scopes just makes the previous records more impressive.

What if they averaged 10.6 MPG? That would only be 4 stops at 5.5 Minutes each 😯

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There were 4 stops, they used two pumps. Don't forget that they would have started with a full tank(s) of gas.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts

A standard gas dispenser (not a hi-flow diesel unit as seen at truck stops) flows about 8 GPM with a clean filter...if its half that, go bitch at the attendant to swap the filters...you got shit to do!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts