·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Hopefully the starter is under the intake manifold

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
M5 already has a nice 600+ hp TT V-8. And AWD. What will differentiate this versus a bunch of people saying, "It's about time." and "They are finally catching up to everyone else."?

The V2 had the wonderful MagneRide, big power for it's time - it was clearly ahead of the pack. We need another one of those!

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
M5 already has a nice 600+ hp TT V-8. And AWD. What will differentiate this versus a bunch of people saying, "It's about time." and "They are finally catching up to everyone else."?

The V2 had the wonderful MagneRide, big power for it's time - it was clearly ahead of the pack. We need another one of those!
GM can only push a pushrod engine so far and maintain its reliability/warranty/emissions.

·
Super Moderator
20,543 Posts

Affordable and mod friendly power upgrades ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
Affordable and mod friendly power upgrades ;)

Not sure how mod friendly a hot V TT will be. Likelihood is that like Audi's the tune route will be best. Unlile Audi - will GM have enough headroom in the stock parts to keep up?

GM is having trouble cooling even stock engine power levels. What will happen with this one?

Looks like stock boost is already 20psi. How much more can you push it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
The last thing on earth I'd trust is a high HP DOHC GM engine paired with an AWD system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The last thing on earth I'd trust is a high HP DOHC GM engine paired with an AWD system.
With a hot V design, turbos integral to exhaust manifolds, and the first design by GM of this type. Yikes!

I agree that I like the "Corvette" engine aspect of my car and that's a big reason I chose it, tried and true, relatively cheap power.

·
Content
4,699 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not excited at all. I would only be slightly excited if they said it was being put in the ATS.

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
New Cadillac 4.2-liter twin-turbo DOHC V8 & AWD

With a hot V design, turbos integral to exhaust manifolds, and the first design by GM of this type. Yikes!

I agree that I like the "Corvette" engine aspect of my car and that's a big reason I chose it, tried and true, relatively cheap power.
LSA is not a corvette engine, never came in a corvette and is greater than an LS3 less than an LS9

Irritated when joe blow on the street says in his hillbilly voice.....”is that the one with the corvette motor in it???” NOPE!!!

·
Premium Member
2,548 Posts
This is the type of setup I have been wanting to see. Now I just need you guys to buy a bunch of them, test them out and dump them back on the market used at a deep discount.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Its a camaro motor
Or do you mean the camaro uses a cadillac motor ^^, thought not designed by cadillac it did come in the V first. Chicken or the egg question here lol

·
Vendor
12,884 Posts
Or do you mean the camaro uses a cadillac motor ^^, thought not designed by cadillac it did come in the V first. Chicken or the egg question here lol
Its definitely from the Chevrolet powertrain team regardless of where it was installed first. The camaro just met delays while the CTSV squeaked by during the bailout era.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Not sure how mod friendly a hot V TT will be. Likelihood is that like Audi's the tune route will be best. Unlile Audi - will GM have enough headroom in the stock parts to keep up?

GM is having trouble cooling even stock engine power levels. What will happen with this one?

Looks like stock boost is already 20psi. How much more can you push it?

that is from a lack of cooling in the supercharger hat , or lack of flow creating higher iats from lack of airflow. with a dohc engine airflow can be much greater and eat the heat. I.e. look at ford dohc engines that responded great to the kenne belle superchargers that created high iat's but still made good power on those engines yet when paired with a sohc pushrod lsx engine they were not getting the same results.

More airflow is the answer to more reliable power and turbo is the answer to being more efficient doing just that.

The newer AWD vehicles are now getting the mileage that 2wd vehicles are while using similar size engines with similar power output. (your example of the turbo Audi 3.0 vs bmw n54/n55 3.0l turbo engines) we are seeing better mileage in the 2018 audi S4 3.0 vs our 2014 bmw 335i 3.0 both with turbos and both same displacement while the only difference being awd vs 2wd.

Do i think it can be done? yes . do i think Gm can do it on their first attempt , maybe. Though i do not expect the drivetrain to be as bullet proof as the V2 with it being much more complex.

I went down a similar road with My Silverado SS which was AWD and large cube LSX engine with Twin turbos . it was an absolute blast to drive and quick as hell but not reliable at all. it was not engineered at the level of any oem and was making 400% of the designed power level while weighing nearly 3 tons. Never the less now with E85 and higher qulaity fuels we have access too i think something great may come of this . Though at the price point i see them coming in at , i would have a hard time modding while a warranty was in question. Thats just me , im not rich enough to consider doing something like this but there are people out there that will.

I did think a current single cab 4wd chassis with a big hp engine and drivetrain to support it would be absolutely amazing under an early 60's Gm single cab short bed truck with a modern under carriage.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts