Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not here to debate if there are the better or cheaper brakes out there. I'm also not here to say use search function as you get some good and not so good info in my experience as a newer site user. I'm just sharing my limited knowledge with what I did recently when I changed my front rotors & pads. I needed to replace the 2 piece rotors on my car so I decided to stay with the 2 piece OEM Brembo's as I was happy with them. I searched for best price and I got them for $264 ea at BremboStoreUSA.com (Not endorsing just the site I used. Also came in Brembo packaging that you can scan code and see how many times that box has been scanned if any.

It's common knowledge these are rotational so I ordered left & right. I've always done brakes one at a time just is case I forgot how to put back together I have other side for reference. (I must say these brakes are super easy) Spent more time cleaning calipers than break job took. What I wanted to point out is make sure the direction of rotors are correct. On the first one I matched what I took off with new one and then did same with second. After I was done I noticed the paper work I printed out from Brembo and realized I had them backwards. Moral of story is the person before you might not be a professional or not be paying attention. I swapped them to match Brembo as I think they know what they are doing. I've attached the PDF's from Brembo for reference. Also there was a lot of information on this site about proper break in of new pads/rotors all a little different. I looked up on Brembo recommendations and followed those (attached below). Results for me are well performing brakes I can count on in my mind.

One tip - Lug nuts use a 22MM socket. My lugs like others have been removed before (Improperly) I bought a 6 point 22MM deep socket and used a rubber mallet to get on all the way. With lots of elbow grease to remove. I wanted to be able to torque correctly so I had no worries at high speed. I did cheat a little before I put back on and use a 1/4 angle with sand pad to remove previously rounded corners & burs on lugs. I will get new lugs when I replace tires next.

Checked old rotors and they were at min thickness but developed a slight vibration that annoyed the hell out of me.

Matt
Edited - Some Spelling

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Awesome, nothing wrong with the stock 2pc rotors. I like them and plan on staying with them.

What'd you do for pads?

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Are stock 2 piece? I have OEM and they are 1 piece.
OEM has 2 versions, 1pc and 2pc. I don't recall if it was optioned or production year change. Someone more knowledgable can pitch in.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
2 piece came in 2011 and was then moved to oem as replacement part.

co-cast came in 09-10 cars new.

·
Registered
751 Posts
It was a year change, but in 2013, not 2011. The 2 piece started when the ZL1 started. CTS-V got commonized to ZL1. There was a TSB for wheel click once that would give you free 2 pieces. It ended when they realized that didn't fix wheel click.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I see them on there the OP's link for $282 though. You also have to put in 13 or 14 for the year, which makes sense given those are the years that came with those rotors. It came up with rears only if I put in an older year.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oh, they have a coupon code CHECKOUT10 gives 10% off. That's even cheaper per part than 264 though

·
Registered
751 Posts
Does this place charge shipping or sales tax? Just curious on how that compares to Rock. Seems like this should still save a little over them, just a matter of how much. Rock's coupons are 5% and this is 10. Starts off a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Those are great prices. Just finished my front pads/rotors & stuck with the OEM 1 piece off amazon. Paid about $230/rotor plus $280 for the OEM pads.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My detailer recommended PowerStop Z26 pads as a possible OEM replacement. Apparently he put them on his Vette and likes them quite a bit. No experience myself so take it for what it's worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts