Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats goin on, recently picked up this 2017 in obsession red.
tough market but it seemed priced right. one owner, bought/serviced/traded in at same dealership. factory powertrain+ CPO warranties, a little over 30k miles.
admittedly i didnt do much research on options or packages specific to these years, still learning the ins and outs. well aware of the V prowess however. got some recaros which come to find out arent cooled, kinda sucks in south florida lol. seems like everything else is pretty standard

i was actually in the market to replace my (hybrid) daily with something a little nicer for date nights, weekends, luxury > a la panamera , 5series etc hybrid when this caught my eye. i will probably keep hybrid for 100+mile daily commute till something major breaks.

my other "luxury" vehicle, yukon denali, I kind of ruined lol. been a slow process but long story short with it> engine ate itself up right near the end of factory warranty and was replaced - immediately pulled it back out and swapped cam/afm deleted it with a couple more bolt ons- ran around like that for a year or two, turbo'd it, blew the 6.2 up, threw a dart 427 in it, couple bigger turbos, 4l80, 4 drag radials, suspension, etc etc etc later...its not so much of a "going out" vehicle anymore. full interior, ac, chiller, a2w, awd. really trying to get it to a place i can call done - but its only limited by the fuel system (and hptuners/ecm) at the moment. recently trapped 141mph in the 1/4, with a broken waste gate tube. and i need to get serious about the 60' cause it still hasnt ran a 9sec yet

plans for the V3 - not many, at least till it gets closer to out of warranty. will prob do some not so performance mods in the mean time - catch can, larger sc cooler capacity, rotofab, maybe a lid.

heres some yukon pics on the side of the road shortly after snapping 4l80 input shaft

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
first mod, finally!
not much though, had an extra ethanol sensor and fittings needed that i could throw it on the passenger side, had harness to jump out a coil for power and a pin for the ecu. i may remake the crossover hose, need a few more qdc adapter fittings though.
i've done a few logs with this on stock tune and it sucks, blows black smoke, shows a bunch of knock WOT in 4 gear and up on 93oct. even sometimes just mild acceleration was showing knock
threw the tables in from a ss/1le flex fuel tune and enabled the sensor, leaned out the PE a little, desensitized the knock sensors a little.
im guessing stock tune is no where near the eq target wot, but need to get a wideband in it before i pull anymore fuel out of it.
ran around and found some e85 earlier, my normal 2 spots were out, and price was jacked way up ~like $3.80/gal+ not sure what was going on. turnpike rest stop had but was still just over $3/gal. had little under half a tank and put 8 gals in - ended up right at E40. drove it lightly to just make sure everything was all good, gave it a good rip, seems to really like it - no knock, still noticeable black smoke. looking at the log low side was dropping - guessing cause its dumping so much fuel. duty cycle/ms was fine, highside stayed around 2900psi.

im probably going to swap the plugs out for 6510s? seems what most shops use after a few bolt ons. dont really plan on doing too much to this, prob a rotofab and a lower pulley is all it will get for now along with a catch can and a larger SC tank

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Mode of transport

Grille Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Looks great! Congrats

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a little more messing around, baby steps - first timing tuning a genV , dont want to take the expensive way of learning

showed zero knock at all, i dropped the thresh hold on the knock sensors back down a little . need to do some logs on 93 and see if they are happy most of the time.

also it turns out the Cat over temp was the cause of most of the black smoke. the temp that the ecm wants to start dumping fuel at them was set at 1600*, just driving around from a cold start the cats were up to 1300-1400* cruising after a few mins, so it took very little throttle to push them up into over temp. initially i set the COT to about 2300* after a couple pulls they seemed to get up to about 1900* and only took maybe 10sec to get back down to 1300ish so i set the temp to dump fuel at 2000* - im sure a hot heat soaked day itll still be touchy but thats when itll need it.

after doing all that timing was down a few degrees - moved a couple lines up in the pe spark tables, made the ethanol multiplier table around e50 close to max timing, tapers down to e20 pretty quick but ill see how it goes . added timing back into the flex fuel tables, going to leave the gas tables pretty soft for now. tweaked the enrichment to come in a little faster

need to go burn through hptuners forum and figure out if/how to get more out of the low side pump, bumped up the minimum voltage and stuff but still drops. i know e85 isnt going to go very far with a couple bolt ons, but its cheap - canned race fuel adds up to an aux pump pretty quick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts