Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had my motor rebuilt and one of the last parts I need is a heat exchanger upgrade. I'm already way over budget and stressed so I've been thinking of trying the Fabtech heat exchanger, which seems like a good hx for the price. It's just that all the reviews are so old. I'd appreciate everyones feedback!

I'm thinking of upgrading heat exchanger, staying with stock pump for now and seeing how things go. Maybe evenually add an expansion tank.

·
Premium Member
13,457 Posts
if I had to do it all over again I would have just gone with a chiller set up

·
Registered
2012 BD A6
29 Posts
No complaints from the good ole weapon x Hx

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think most anything is an improvement over the stock HX. Mine is pretty beat-up on the lower half from all the road debris over the last 11 years/103k miles so I don/t think it is cooling as well but I'm still stock. With that being said I order the Fabtech one yesterday. I'll let you know my thoughts once it arrives and I get it installed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It works great, install was not to bad. Make sure you are specific on which HX you order, they have a new version that I ordered and they sent me the old version . I didn't realize it until after I installed it and compared it to the one they have advertised on the website. Took 2 months to get it, would of taken longer if I didn't email them. I think they missed my order and shipped out whatever they had. That's my thought as to why they shipped me the wrong HX.

When I emailed them back about it, they didn't respond to me.....so just be very Specific on the color, logo if wanted and HX type.

I get my car tuned today so I'll let you know how it holds up under a higher then stock boost level.

And don't cheap out on a pump.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Like said ordered mine yesterday and they e-mailed me today stating out of stock but should be manufactured/shipped by the end of this month.
He offered me a $50 refund if I kept the order in place which I accepted.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What’s the price point vs weapon x? Any have a link . I will need one soon, new to this whole HX thing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure how they compare in cooling but I like my Weapon x one

·
Registered
2012 BD A6
29 Posts
With my weapon x one I maintain so pretty good iat2’s. After I installed and test drove I was maintaining only a few degrees over ambient on iat2. Either one is a good choice. Weapon x mounts like factory and the fan tech is a low mount

·
Registered
383 Posts
Weapon X Track Attack $575. Dimensions are 22 X 17 X 3 with a 2.75" single pass core compared to the stock 0.5" thickness.
Fabtech $399. 32 X 7 X 3.5 dual pass compared to stock 0.5" thickness.
There was another member on here that asked me how long it took to get it, I told him 2 months and he said he has been waiting one week shy of six months. He said he would email them and they would come up with some excuse as it why he hasn't received it. He said he asked for a refund but no one got back to him. He then had to dispute it with his credit card to get his money back. I think he went with a different Hx....idk. Good luck.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Not what I wanted to hear...I'll give him until the first of June for a tracking confirmation then I'll pull out and change my purchase review accordingly on ebay.
His email...
"Good Day I want to update you in regards to your order. We will update the tracking info once the order has completed fabrication and is ready to ship. Due to current Material shortages, and logistics issues many of our products are taking longer to fabricate. I was unable to adjust the handling time on Ebay to reflect the actual stock before you placed your order. If you don't mind waiting for the new production to complete (EST. End of the Month) I can offer you a $50 credit once Positive feedback is posted and 5 stars in each category. Please let me know if this will work for you. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding in regards to this matter. Thank you for your business!"

Steve Monte
Operations Manager
WWW.FABTECH-PERFORMANCE.COM

Follow us on IG: @FTPERFORMANCE

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I run this one and my tuner said my temps looked really good iat1 vs 2, plus the price was on point for a low mount and it’s a company I’ve used before. Next round of upgrades would be grabbing something more inline with the track attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Weapon X Track Attack $575. Dimensions are 22 X 17 X 3 with a 2.75" single pass core compared to the stock 0.5" thickness.
Fabtech $399. 32 X 7 X 3.5 dual pass compared to stock 0.5" thickness.
Thanks Dave, exactly the info I was looking for. Sucks to hear about the delay.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd be questioning the 1/2"npt ports of that ZZP one. 3/4" down to 1/2" is a over half the opening size.
.750 = .4418in
.500 = .1963in

·
Super Moderator
21,715 Posts
I'd be questioning the 1/2"npt ports of that ZZP one. 3/4" down to 1/2" is a over half the opening size.
.750 = .4418in
.500 = .1963in
I doubt those are the inside diameter measurements. I’m sure wall thickness is .035” or greater, probably at least .049”.

Been there and done that.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
.750 = .4418in
.500 = .1963in
Yeah I have all stock lines and saw how the stock fittings and end of hoses are different sizes than the hose diameter itself when I bought the fittings. I run a stock system with no stock h/e and a new pump. Could be an issue for future line upgrades.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I doubt those are the inside diameter measurements. I’m sure wall thickness is .035” or greater, probably at least .049”.

Been there and done that.

Yeah the barbed/threaded fitting is going to be even less than the ID of the hose. Just compounds it even more.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts