Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

NavTool Apple CarPlay/Android Auto for 09-14 CTS-V

126K views 385 replies 81 participants last post by  2014 ctsv 
#1 · (Edited)
For the longest time since I watched a YouTube vid of this Russian shop do a custom install in a CTS where they used the OEM screen and added a ton of functionally I really wanted that! However that didn't go anywhere.... Just before Christmas I was looking at either the Tesla screen or the Metra kit. However I was on the fence with these 2 options. I wasn't crazy about how the Metra looked in the car. The Tesla screen while it looked great and very updated had lots of issues. It really seemed to be hit and miss with it. I really wanted to upgrade the factory Nav, and I was getting really tired of the whole bluetooth audio through the Aux port. They just increased the fines for distracted driving in Ontario to obscene amounts and points to boot. I came across a vid from NavTool, it seemed too good to be true! Full CarPlay with HDMI mirroring, I watched the entire 55 min video. The really cool thing about this unit is that all the OEM stuff is still there. Ok I was sold.

IMG_1486 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

IMG_1487 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

IMG_1489 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

Below is the installation Vid from NavTool, it covers almost everything. The install is pretty straight forward, this will be one time you wish you had smaller hands. To get the factory head unit back into place with all the extra wiring was a PITA, if you can get your hands in there be prepared for lots of nicks and cuts. Everything back there is pretty sharp. I wound up using zip ties to hold the wiring up above the rear lip of the hole the HU goes into. Once you get it apart you will see what I am talking about.

I wasn't crazy about having the mic hanging off the visor, there is a small LED light in the centre of the over head console that is supposed to illuminate the shifter. Doesn't do squat, I removed it drilled out the back side just enough to fit the mic. You need to use the foam on the mic or you will get some weird noises when using it for calls. Route the wire across the headliner, down the A pillar across the front of the dash. There will be a small opening just beside the centre channel that you can fish the wire through to the HU. Your bluetooth will still work and you can use that if you want, however you need to go through the steering wheel voice button. Say hands free and then voice. If you want voice commands like "Hey Siri" you have to install the mic somewhere.

IMG_1498 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

IMG_1497 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

You must connect the yellow RCA on the main harness to the rear camera input on the Navtool unit. You won't be able to see the rear camera in the "interface mode" if you don't. However it doesn't switch to the camera automatically when in CarPlay and in reverse. It still does if you are not in the interface. This for me is just a minor annoyance and their support team is working on a fix. (Sorry don't have a pic of this)

If you get any flickering in the display when you have finished your install you need to cut the wire and isolate it in the picture below.

IMG_1478 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

The brain for the NavTool I located on the right side below the vent, see picture. Lots of space in there and secured it with some velcro. It makes it kinda easy to remove to change settings or updates.

IMG_8969 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

I used the following HDMI and USB plug and replaced the old Sig lighter adapter. This plugs into the NavTool and so far works great.

Edit this HDMI cable has Ethernet built in. Do not use. I am looking for an alternative.

IMG_1488 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

If you get stuck in this screen hold the top left corner until it exits.

IMG_8972 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

The interface doesn't turn off until the car goes to sleep, so if you turn off the car the screen will go down and it will stay on for about 15 seconds after you key off. If you exit the interface before you key off it shuts off normally.

I think thats pretty much it. Its great to have another option for our cars! Enjoy.

Edit

At the time of this post the kit was $549.00 USD - a 10% coupon code if you ask them, plus the cig adapter for $25.00

See less See more
1 9
#2 ·
Thank you for the knowledge.
My next project Vette

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vette71454
#3 ·
Looks awesome i will definitely be purchasing soon !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Boom! Pop up screen with new graphics.

So if I just use the steering wheel, controls, I don't need to have the mic installed....correct? What about text to talk for the phone texting.

#11 ·
SQ is better then Bluetooth, and I have tried a few Bluetooth units. It’s as good as plugging directly into the Aux port. Highs and deep bass is where I noticed it most. Depending on the source on your device it could come close to CD quality. On Spotify you have the option to download very high quality tracks. Takes up a fair bit of space on your device. But that’s why I have a 128GB iPhone ;). There is no hiss or any of that nonsense you might get on the other options out there.

#15 ·
What a great way to refresh the oem nav system! I wish they would wire in an additional set of rca outputs so wiring in an aftermarket sub can be an option.

#16 ·
Not possible off the factory system, the amp is digital I believe. The signal is static coming off the head unit, the volume is applied at the amp. So if you take the audio directly from the HU you can’t control the volume. I have a pair of subs in mine and it works good enough off a AudioControl LC2i.

This post has been deleted
#18 · (Edited)
I used the following HDMI and USB plug and replaced the old Sig lighter adapter. This plugs into the NavTool and so far works great.

IMG_1488 by Vette 71454, on Flickr

Did you look into hard wiring the power supply line instead of the cig adapter?

#24 ·
For those of you considering this option or any other option that has CarPlay, I found this app called Vox. A little app that puts all of your music in one location. It’s able to access Soundcloud Spotify and your music on your device and all the playlists are right there. It also has a really neat parametric EQ that actually works pretty well.

#25 ·
Ok so I did a test fit in under the arm rest, my IPhone XS barely fits with the cable connected to it. If your phone is bigger for example the Plus sizes or the IPhone XR probably won’t fit under the armrest.

#27 ·
Use the factory wires from the stock sub to connect into the LC2i

Reactions: Vette71454
#34 ·
Ok so after a few days with this in the car I have found the following minor issues.

Does not dim for night driving when the headlights are on.

Does not retain brightness setting after key off. If I change the brightness setting the next time I get in the car it defaults back again.

I have sent this to tech support and I’ll report back on what they say.

#38 ·
Mine already shipped. It should get here on Monday while I'm out of town.

I bought NavTool4.0, they shipped NavTool3.0, and most of the reviews on their website talk about NavTool5.0. I emailed them this morning regarding the discrepancy, but haven't heard back yet. Speculation based on a bit of reading online- the hardware is the same for all three and their software is what's used to update from 3.0 to 4.0 to 5.0... We'll see once it arrives and I try to program it.

It's not promising that their website says they have an A+ BBB rating, but the BBB actually gives them a F.

Corvette guys seem to have the most reviews. Most of them love it, but a handful have had serious issues with the company.

Tim

#40 ·
The OS is installed by you when you get it. I asked the same thing when I ordered mine. And I had the same concerns with their rep. But for the cost of the unit and from what I also read on the Vette forum I thought why not. They have been pretty good responding to issues and getting back to me so far.

#39 ·
Looks cool and a good solution, but must point out this does nothing to address the shitty outdated OME interface for radio, and USB played songs. Or anything for the folder and file type limits for USB, updated sat radio to get all channels (unless you want to use the app), and lack of HD radio.

On top of that has Android auto added wireless interface yet? Last I checked they hadn't so you have to plug in your phone every time.

These may not matter to all, but do matter to some so there is no perfect solution.

#41 ·
I didn’t think anyone still paid for Sirius XM anymore, I pretty much just stream now. Hell I don’t even have cable at home anymore. Tune in radio (app on CarPlay) will stream In HQ for radio stations from all over the world including local. With a subscription from Spotify I can listen to pretty much any song from any era. Apple CarPlay replaces the need for keeping music library’s on your device unless you want to listen off line. With all the apps available and new ones on the horizon Sat radio and HD radio will be in the past like AM radio in no time.

But you are right, no solution will be perfect. Just another option.

My new load out for CarPlay

#42 ·
I still use SiriusXM and actually have two subscriptions. With this, I can probably drop down to a single streaming subscription and just use it over CarPlay in whatever car I happen to be driving.

Tim

#43 ·
I don't get what that USB/HDMI adapter thing is for taking up your cigarette lighter space?

Also, since this is just using the built in screen that is just analog resistive single touch you obviously can't pinch to zoom or swipe to navigate the menus/maps etc right?

I always thought the OEM screen was pretty crappy resolution but that looks pretty decent in the pictures, does it look ok in person?

#44 ·
The adapter is for the interface, it plugs into the interface and then you plug your device into that. The screen is actually pretty decent, no you can’t pinch (although I haven’t tried) however you can zoom by tapping the zoom button in the app on the screen. You can swipe right and left just like a iPhone.

#49 ·
After I get Matt's cam and other supporting mods in, this is one the list.

#51 ·
The camera does display if you select it manually. It doesn’t switch automatically when in reverse and in CarPlay. I haven’t head back as of yet. I’m pulling the unit today and going to mess around with the settings to see if I can get it to work in CarPlay. It works normally otherwise. The volume on the wheel works, not the next track or previous track. They are working on a update for this so they told me.
I also ordered a ground loop isolator for the mic. It’s getting a buzzing on mine when using for a call.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.