Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I am not to good with cars and have a problem. Recently my 2010 CTS V has started making a strange noise. After taking it to the mechanic he has determined that it not a pulley and possibly the supercharger or motor. It is completely stock and has had nothing done to it. If you have any guesses it woul be greatly appreciated. Thank you. P.S I am currently not home right now, but I will upload and link it shortly.
2010 Cadillac Cts V 80,000km give our take

. Video of the noise.

· Registered
1,582 Posts
Yep, sounds like a pulley. If you have a friend with a little car knowledge, take off the serpentine belt and then start it up for 1-2 minutes. If the sound is gone you eliminate the engine as the source. Then replace the belt.

Edit: It helps to take a picture of the belt routing to make sure you put it back on properly.

Reactions: Omgctsv

· Registered
4,438 Posts
The SC belt is the easiest belt to take off and on.

If it remains, it sounds like my lifter did.

· Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Definitely a pulley going south.

Also, get a better mechanic! Where do you live?

· Registered
2,816 Posts
I had a similar noise on my Vortech supercharged 02Z06. I ignored it and at some point it seemed to go away. Then, after about 70K miles of hard driving, the Vortech jack-shaft belt snapped. I had to take the blower off the motor to replace the pulley. When I did, I discovered the idler pulley directly below the blower was the source of the noise. I wish I had a picture. The entire center of the pulley was missing, it was just a ribbed ring wobbling on the stud/shaft sticking out of the front of the block. I was amazed it actually worked as well as it had for what was clearly a long time, and that I'd never thrown the main serpentine belt.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Took off SC belt and turned it on, the noise is alot quieter. I will post a video in which it is a very faint squeak.

With SC belt off

After putting SC back on and reving to 3/4k rpm

This is the noise with only the A/C belt on. My friend who is good with cars says the noise comes the harmonic balancer.

· Registered
4,438 Posts
I hope your friend is right. Too me, it sounds lifterish.

· Registered
89 Posts
The noise changing dramatically in intensity with the SC belt off indicates it is not a lifter. That would make noise with no belts on. The harmonic balancer might be right and the evidence supports it. The SC belt is the frontmost belt so if the rubber dampener is rotted out it would put more pressure on it. You want to get that fixed because if it is out of whack it will put your crank off balance

Reactions: Blades1_99

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The noise changing dramatically in intensity with the SC belt off indicates it is not a lifter. That would make noise with no belts on. The harmonic balancer might be right and the evidence supports it. The SC belt is the frontmost belt so if the rubber dampener is rotted out it would put more pressure on it. You want to get that fixed because if it is out of whack it will put your crank off balance
I will take it to a shop just to confirm. Do you know any good aftermarket balancers? My friend said that this is a semi-common problem with LS's and that I should get an aftermarket one

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: The sound has been located. It is coming from the transition, the reason it was being heard so clearly from the engine bay was that it was reverberating off the ground and coming out of the openings in the engine bay. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea as to what part it could be. My friend and a better mechanic said it could be either the flywheel or the flexplate. But it is going to be hard to confirm unless the trans is dropped. I was given a quote of 900ish cad and since the mechanic is a friend it could do down more. (good or bad price)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.