Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

My Track E46M3

63K views 350 replies 37 participants last post by  m13s 
#1 ·
2002 track only car. Stock motor and trans, getting MCS upgrade all around over the winter and some other light mods. Keeping the tranny and motor stock. Trans is getting a shot throw shifter and I run 285x35x18 squared setup with goodrich R1's. car is a bit of a porker but well balance and really easy to drive. Motor revs and revs, overall a really fun track car.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice ride! I had a 2003 E-46 I traded in on my V. Germans make some nice cars, parts are expensive though.

#9 ·
Hi Botch316!

The R1's are decent, the Hoosiers were out of stock so I opted for those. Not nearly as good as the Hoosiers. My 240SX is about 2600 lbs and yes the E46M3 is about 3500, hence my nickname for her, Pork Chop.
Really well balanced though. I know that Caddy has been shooting for the Germans for a while and closing, however I like the steering better in the BMW. The warden drives a 335 and in both BMW's the steering is better than my caddy. Better feel, better response, all around I like the BMW's better. Now I know this is a caddy forum and I'll probably get some $hit, but that's the truth.

#31 · (Edited)
E46 M3 is the last good BMW.

I would absolutely not say the E90 335i steering feels better than the V. Its a lighter car so it might steer "better" but steering feel/effort/feedback is maybe equivalent but not better...and the new BMW's are completely ruined.
The F30 335i feels like numb garbage now with electric steering I don't care how many car journalists say they "fixed" it. I had a few for loaners and handling and interior materials quality has taken a big dive.

All modern turbo BMW's are a nightmare reliability wise too. I just sold mine because they are so unreliable and expensive to fix.
The N20 4cyl turbo that is in everything, is probably the worst engine BMW has ever made too. I have personally known several to catastrophically fail completely stock, less than 50k miles, dealer maintained, with no abuse.
At least the N54/55 and B58 have decently strong internals, just every accessory system costs thousands of dollars and WILL fail several times before 100k miles (electric water pump, hpfp, coil packs, direct injectors, ac evaporator, VANOS bolts, and a bunch of random electrical nightmares that are common).

Anyway, I love old BMW's but ever since they went turbo it has been a slide into the gutter.

#14 ·
the E36 guys love to tell me how "heavy" the 46 is. The 46 does everything better than the 36 but the purists still adore the 36. to each his own I guess.

I picked mine up on a whim while at NJMP racing, a friend said there is a E46M3 that I should look at. It was a LOT more project than I wanted to get into, so I tossed a number. Well low and behold I got it, took it home. Been enjoying it ever since. I'll be adding soe stuff over the winter and I'll post some pics.

#15 ·
Sent Pork Chop to the shop, some ex Turner Motor sports guys that tuned and wrenched for them out on their own.

Car has a 30 mm front sway bar set on the hardest setting. No idea why they put in such a large bar and this is probably contributing to the understeer. Removed the a/c and all the fixings, both rear control arms (stock) were bent, replaced with TC Kline. Car was a converted SMG car, so ripping out the harness and related bs with that as well. Installing brake ducting kit in the front, quick release wheel, new front sway bar bushings, short throw shifter (rogue engineering) and a bunch of general housekeeping.

In November she goes in for the the full spec cage, Motion Control or JRZ all around, new performance friction rotors and brakes, racing dash switch panel with battery off and push start. Ripping out the heater core and anything to lighten her up. Going to do rod bearings, valve adjust and vanos along with a tune and dyno to run GTS3 with NASA and I think T2 with SCCA.

Good news is the car came from Florida and has zero rust.

#17 ·
So the build Continues

On order and to be installed

TC Kline DA coilovers
500f/600r pound springs
AIM MXL 7" display with smarty cam and data overlay
Race dash and switch panel
Fire suppression
Cage
Lexan side and rear windows
Fiberglass doors
Carbon Fiber hood
Braille 15 lightweight battery
A bunch of other shit

Was at New Hampshire speedway with BMW CCA last month and weighed the car:
2925 lbs 1/3 fuel, no driver two seats (I am 175) This is with the titanium straight pipe in the rear, it weighs 6 pounds . Other tracks I have to bolt up the stock muffler (Lime Rock, Palmer) and the stock weighs over 40 pounds !

I should be able to get the car to sub 2750. Goal is @2600 or less. 18 pounds of sound deadning was hacked out that job sucked.
Pulled the half cage and everything else that I could. Side windows are removed as well.

Removed the headlights and replaced with carbon fiber blanks they came (I bought on line) with the halo (angel) stickers I left them on what do you guys think ?
Here are some pics.

Cage and interior paint start next week.

Attachments

#18 ·
I race in Chumpcar, Lemons, AER & Lucky Dog. (Endurance racing).
We race an E36 most of the time.
I'm focusing a LOT more on that hobby now and it's why I'm selling the V. I just bought an E36 M3 ('99) and am in the process of making it my DD.

If you're able to, are you also going to get a fuel cell, do you not need it for your racing events or does the series you compete in not allow it?

#19 ·
Hi Doube e,

I'll probably get a fuel cell, right now I am building the car for me, not a series if that makes sense. I run in AER but on another E46M3 team. This car is for me only and I'll probably run it in GTS3 in NASA or I think TT2 in SCCA along with caching for several track day events here in the northeast along with BMW CCA.

Heard good things about lucky dog, never raced chump and lemons I would not call racing, (no offence to you). There is another series called World endurance series, have you run with them ? Sorry to hear your selling the V.... I know a lot of BMW guys that like them and drive them, but don't let people know. Kind of like boning a hot fat chick....

There are plenty or parts out there for the E36/46 which make this fun. Also, I just received the AIM MXL unit from summit racing and they price matched a guy over in england I saved $700 bucks!

I'll post some pics after paint and cage.

-M

#20 ·
2600 will be difficult, but not impossible. That seems to be about par for spec 46, which has marginally lighter running gear. Apparently if you split open the wiring harness, there's about 20 pounds of wires that can be eliminated.

I've actually found LeMons to be much more demanding than Spec E30.

#21 ·
Hi Wrecked em,

Yes i already pulled about ten pounds of wire out, going to take more out as well. I have done 3 lemons events, not going back. I found the driving (if you call it that) was really poor. At New Hampshire it did not help that the lemons guys allow 140 cars on a 1.6 mile roval. They also require a lemons license, I have SCCA full comp, FIA grade C and a NASA license along with BMW CCA instructor rating. Just a money grab. the events are themed and I get that a lot of people like the format, it is just not for me. I did 6 hours total of the 16 hours for my team at the last race and was getting hit in places I never new existed.

Don't want t demean the drivers, the series or the people that run it, I chose to run other events.

#22 ·
Nice! M cars are so much fun around the track. My V shares a garage with an e92...

#24 ·
It is a car that just makes you smile. They'll never be another BMW built like this again. That high revving V8 is addicting.

#25 ·
agreed, the S54 in the E46 is really a blast to drive. RL = 8200 but going up I am putting in a 8.5 lb flywheel and a S2 clutch along with high end racing springs. It should make an already quick revving IL6 rev like a superbike. I can't wait. Really like the E90 that the warden drives TTv6, sounds like shit but a really good car to drive. Hopping out of the Wagon and into that is fun to see how different each car is. I can't image what the E92 motor is like, hopefully prices will come down so in a few years I can buy one for the track !

#26 · (Edited)
Update:

Cage done ! Here are some shots, really happy with the way it came out. Adding in all the goodies now. Between this car, the 370Z and formula car racing I should be dead broke come q4.

If I die tomorrow at least I will have raced all year !

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)
Updates:
Lexan all around
Emtron ECU with 3 Maps
Steering wheel with all the bells and whistles
AIM large display
Streamlined switch panel
Aero Kit
New belts, hoses waterpump
Clutch with ZF 5 Speed
CAE Shifter (The balls)
New PFC Rotors and pads all around
New seat
TC Klines and springs all around

Notice the rear decal pass side on the trunk

Attachments

#29 ·
Wow! You weren't kidding about going all out and being broke by the 4th quarter. I would love to see a video of that thing running on the track. I love the sound of an inline 6 screaming. I have a '73 240Z that I love to rev to just hear the motor. Good luck with the car! Are you racing this, or doing track days?

#30 ·
I'll post some video on the next race from Palmer it is in two weeks for an SCCA Regional. The car primarily is a race car but I also use it for coaching as well and track days for test and tune prior to racing it is going back to the DYno today and right now makes 308 to the wheels. Once the bearings, schrick cams and rockers are done along with the active works headers and exhaust it should be north of 375. Not bad as she sits at 2800 lbs now and I can going to get it down to 2600. Car handles great really rotates well.

WOW '73 240Z awesome ride, they are increasing in value as well.

#34 ·
The S54 is almost my favorite engine ever. Just fix the vanos once and do the rod bearings every 70-100k miles and it is rock solid especially for such a high revving motor. And a MONSTER with boost. Dat cast iron block and amazing flowing heads.
I have a friend with one well over 1000whp and its awesome.

Another friend has a bone stock S54 with over 200k miles and hes just done the rod bearings twice (which is pretty cheap/engine in service) but almost nothing else.