Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Weekend had it all, race was crazy, started in the rain on wets, turned dry with 25 minutes left in the race. RT = 65 minutes or 100 laps. Being on track with TA cars I need my head examined. The closing speeds are so drastic as these cars do 190MPH+ and accelerate unlike anything I have been on track with. At least I was able to pass a bunch in the rain! Softened up the car for wet weather and she was a handful when it was dry. I was fastest of my team in the wet so that was a PB against my racemates. Mid-O in the wet is like an ice rink, they lay sealant on the track to increase grip for the indy cars. It is downright sketchy when in the rain, you need to be on point and not make mistakes. The runoff is limited and if you get into the grass while wet you will not stop until you hot the tire walls.

My Team went P2/P3/P4, I guess being a member of the Flint Tropics is not bad.....

Some pics

The racing was the best driving I have ever raced in. Can't say enough on how professional the series is along with the ALL the drivers. The on track decisions that the drivers made we calculating, efficient and always on the money. Makes me re-evaluate SCCA and amatuer racing in general after this. The announcers gave our team props for being new and having good situational awareness and doing clean passes and getting passed clean. No way would I want to collect a TA or GT3 Car and have it be on TV.

Not one full course yellow in a rain to dry race. I ran the Pirelli wets for .5/hr and they were still intact. the Pirelli rep came over and was shaking his head and said he has never seen tires still hold up that well for that amount of time in the dry. I told him the suspension was super soft for the rain and it was hooking up, then the dry came.

The weekend was packed with racing, TA/TA2/XTG/SGT/GT, SVRA, International GT, Regional Formula 3 and Formula 4. The only thing missing was motorcycles, the event had something for everyone. Decent amount of fans came out considering they opened it up 2 days prior to the event.

One of the XTG Audi's passed me in as I was setting up for T3, he shifted right next to my helmet and it was so loud along with the concussion it made me pause for a quick second. It actually broke my concentration and startled me it was that loud.

Ohio was great, people were super nice and I have not been there in 25+ years. Can't wait to go back.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Two second place finishes at the scca majors this weekend. A win has been elusive but it will come. Had some luck and the car was solid all weekend.

It was a 30 car field (multiple classes) and the worst driving event i have ever been in. I was so pissed i called out three drivers to the race steward and had words with another driver at impound. Adding to that a pro driver took out 00 on the first lap first turn. There was passing under yellow, not closing the gap under yellow (that most likely cost me a win) blocking all from the T2 drivers. I told one driver that if he needs help in reading the rule book let me know i'll hire you a fucking tutor.
I've seen better driving on hpde novice students.

The race was black flagged twice and the second bf i was 3.5 Seconds back. They called the race and i was pissed because that was my shot for a 3 lap sprint for the win. Oh well

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yikes, that sounds like a disaster. Coming from NASA, passing under yellow is a great way to get a special invitation to leave. I also feel your pain on the race getting stopped early. At least you didn't tear anything up?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
The SCCA continues to run great events but is regimented and inflexible. Thats why NASA, IMSA and countless other racing organizations started.

Case in point. With 2 second place finishes I won x2 A7 Hoosiers. Thats 800 bucks. I went to tech at impound and said I did not have my forms with me do you have them. He said sorry, your out of luck. It's not like they don't know me. I went to the Hoosier tire guy and he said send me an email. Shit like that makes people pissed off, myself included.

The steward came to me at impound because I went over to a mustang T2 driver that was blocking me. I was fuming at his driving. We are not in the same class and my class leader is in front of him and he is drag racing me and not allowing for a clean pass The car in front is allowed one defensive move, thats it. Going side to side is not allowed, which is what he was doing. When I did pass him I tapped the brakes and gave him the finger.

Anyway I explained to the steward that three cars in the T2 field, x2 e46m3's and the mustang that the driving was horseshit and spelled out what they did. The red e46 passed x3 cars under double yellow. The stweards flagged my teammate for it, both cars were red. One of the e46's under a double yellow slowed down and was driving like his grandmother was in the car. I was one car back ( Flubbed the start) and was on the guys bumper pointing to catch up. Both guys were in left fucking field. Clueless. I was at the point I was going to pass them to catch up and the black flag was thrown. He asked me if I wanted to protest thier driving, I said no because that makes me look linke a whiner, I am going to speak with him. (Mustang) he said, Mike, I know you and your a good driver but you need to calm down. You're a pro driver and you need to behave like one. I said I am venting on you becuase if I go over there I'm most likely going to punch him in the mouth. This same guy was disqualified last year for cheating in his class after my buddy protested him and he was running his car without the required restrictor plate.

Cooler heads prevailed and I spoke to him and said, Congrats on finishing the race, you have a fast car. I want you to know that you were blocking me on several attempts to pass and we are not in the same class. His response? "I was driving my line". I said you were blocking and this is not a discussion. If you want we can look at the video and have a chat with the stewards. He paused and apologized and I said lets not have this happen again if we are racing in the future. I did not shake his hand nor did he offer. I really wanted to kick him in the balls.

Afterwards I apologized to the steward for behaving like a cunt. Our team swept the podium which was really cool.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
A great lesson in responding vs. reacting. Good job keeping your cool. I too struggle with this all the time. My wife on the other hand is very good at this and reminds me all the time to breathe and calm down first before responding.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Two second place finishes at the scca majors this weekend. A win has been elusive but it will come. Had some luck and the car was solid all weekend.

It was a 30 car field (multiple classes) and the worst driving event i have ever been in. I was so pissed i called out three drivers to the race steward and had words with another driver at impound. Adding to that a pro driver took out 00 on the first lap first turn. There was passing under yellow, not closing the gap under yellow (that most likely cost me a win) blocking all from the T2 drivers. I told one driver that if he needs help in reading the rule book let me know i'll hire you a fucking tutor.
I've seen better driving on hpde novice students.

The race was black flagged twice and the second bf i was 3.5 Seconds back. They called the race and i was pissed because that was my shot for a 3 lap sprint for the win. Oh well

View attachment 146424 View attachment 146425
Nice job! Is that you on the left doing your best Buzz Lightyear pose? haha

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Thanks unavowed. Racing is about controlling your emotions and getting comfortable being uncomfortable. As in all sports when you get to a high level it becomes mental and that mental barrier is tough to master.

I vented on the steward and he knew i was letting off steam. The mustang driver new i was pissed and would not come over to his car to speak with me. Tells me everything.

We spend some much time prepping to position for a win only to be buttfucked by poor driving and decisions. That's amateur racing, dealing with wanna be's and ego's. We all make mistakes but racing and making the same poor decisions effects other people.

Yes me on the left! Handsome I know. Mark in the middle was the winner and Gabriele was third.

Sadly im not going to NJMP this weekend for the next majors event.

Hope to do Trans m at the Glen if it happens. BMW magazine Roundel is doing a feature article on the team.

Ill get some videos up when i have a chance.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Thx Silver.Worst driving I have ever been in. The red E46M3 went through 4 turns with yellow flags, the grey E46M3 does not know the double yellow flag rule. The Mustang, oh well, what can I say. Everyone makes mistakes and I have no problem with that. This being a US Majors tour drivers should elevate their game and these three did not. The BMW guys were new and I can cut them some slack, they are fast but raw and it takes seat time in racing situations to get better situational awareness. If you notice my passing points I was hesitant on my passes with these guys as they were all over the place. That ='s a smashed car and I am not about to mess up my ride.

The guys are heading to NJMP this weekend with an even larger field of T1 cars (12). It should be a barn burner of a race. I'm going to spend the weekend with my sweetie as she booked a place for us and I have been racing 3 out of the 4 last weekends so I better not push it.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Tried to do a race with BMW Club racing. Signed up best I could in Motorsportsreg.com and the process is shit so I had to email the licensing board. Most racing organizations welcome you to race with them once you provide the required paperwork. Not BMW. Read my response. Keep in mind BMW magazine (Roundel) is doing a feature article on the team at Watkins Glen for Trans AM. This will be read by all of the BMW club guys as you get the magazine as a BMW CCA member. They will be wondering why we don't race with them and the letter below explains it. She stated to me that they needed to be sure I was safe on track and to take our cars to a local authorized BMW shop to tech them to BMW tech rules. I really wanted to tell them to fuck off.

To: XXXXXX

I understand your requirements and I am not looking to circumvent the process in any way.
Having raced for 30+ years and holding pro license's in cars and motorcycles the process should be a little easier to get a guest or a full license with BMW club racing. Being safe on track, while paramount, is something that I and other credential holders of the same caliber take very seriously and we did not get said credentials by being unsafe. The statement should be used for novice drivers and quite frankly is an insult.
Also being told to tech our cars at a BMW shop when having a TransAM and SCCA annual is downright absurd.
I thought that being a BMW instructor (Boston) and BMW CCA member for 5 years would hold some merit as well.
Sorry if this is sounding curt that is not my intent. My goal was to do a race with BMW Club Racing to see if we should do more races with your organization going forward. This is my first experience with BMW Club racing and to not make it past the licensing and tech requirements with my history is quite surprising. Most organizations want new members and welcome other teams and racers to come once they pass the clubs requirements.
Sorry it did not work out and I wish you and your organization the best of luck during the C-19 era and stay safe.
Best Regards,
Michael
978 XXX XXXX
BMW CCA Member XXXXXX
BMW Instructor (Boston)
SCCA Member number XXXX
SCCA Full Competition License
SCCA Pro License, Trans AM

Please forward to the members of your board and if they have any questions please feel free to call.

Oh well plenty of places to spend my racing dollars on and surprise I never received a call. And they wonder why their club racing program is dwindling. FYI The guy that runs our team (we were bringing 5 cars to this event) ran the endurance racing for BMW Club racing for years. Typical BMW attitude and I see it when I coach with them. Believe it or not I have ruffled some feathers as I have low tolerance for bullshit and some of the BMW instructors have mega ego's which I typically chop to shreds when given the opportunity. It's prevalent through the organization and I hear it from other clubs as well. Maybe I'm getting ornery in my old age.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Tried to do a race with BMW Club racing. Signed up best I could in Motorsportsreg.com and the process is shit so I had to email the licensing board. Most racing organizations welcome you to race with them once you provide the required paperwork. Not BMW. Read my response. Keep in mind BMW magazine (Roundel) is doing a feature article on the team at Watkins Glen for Trans AM. This will be read by all of the BMW club guys as you get the magazine as a BMW CCA member. They will be wondering why we don't race with them and the letter below explains it. She stated to me that they needed to be sure I was safe on track and to take our cars to a local authorized BMW shop to tech them to BMW tech rules. I really wanted to tell them to fuck off.

To: XXXXXX

I understand your requirements and I am not looking to circumvent the process in any way.
Having raced for 30+ years and holding pro license's in cars and motorcycles the process should be a little easier to get a guest or a full license with BMW club racing. Being safe on track, while paramount, is something that I and other credential holders of the same caliber take very seriously and we did not get said credentials by being unsafe. The statement should be used for novice drivers and quite frankly is an insult.
Also being told to tech our cars at a BMW shop when having a TransAM and SCCA annual is downright absurd.
I thought that being a BMW instructor (Boston) and BMW CCA member for 5 years would hold some merit as well.
Sorry if this is sounding curt that is not my intent. My goal was to do a race with BMW Club Racing to see if we should do more races with your organization going forward. This is my first experience with BMW Club racing and to not make it past the licensing and tech requirements with my history is quite surprising. Most organizations want new members and welcome other teams and racers to come once they pass the clubs requirements.
Sorry it did not work out and I wish you and your organization the best of luck during the C-19 era and stay safe.
Best Regards,
Michael
978 XXX XXXX
BMW CCA Member XXXXXX
BMW Instructor (Boston)
SCCA Member number XXXX
SCCA Full Competition License
SCCA Pro License, Trans AM

Please forward to the members of your board and if they have any questions please feel free to call.

Oh well plenty of places to spend my racing dollars on and surprise I never received a call. And they wonder why their club racing program is dwindling. FYI The guy that runs our team (we were bringing 5 cars to this event) ran the endurance racing for BMW Club racing for years. Typical BMW attitude and I see it when I coach with them. Believe it or not I have ruffled some feathers as I have low tolerance for bullshit and some of the BMW instructors have mega ego's which I typically chop to shreds when given the opportunity. It's prevalent through the organization and I hear it from other clubs as well. Maybe I'm getting ornery in my old age.
That is pretty crazy and that person hopefully won't be around long. With COVID I can't tell if racing clubs will be hurting or they have more than enough entrys because so many events have been cancelled.
Have you done PCA events? Are they any better than the BMW ones?

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
The person I was dealing with was nice and handles licensing for the club, not sure how long she has been with them. I also called x4 and she never picked up but I left messages to talk through the difficult process of signing up using her tools. In no way was I trying to cheat the process. BMW club racing is a good organization based on everything I have read and racers that have raced with them that's why we wanted to give it a shot. They as an organization are inflexible across the spectrum with Club Racing, HPDE, even ITS - Instructor training school. Case in point, I recommended one student that was assigned to me for ITS to be come an instructor. He is the only instructor I have recommend in 5+ years and I walked him into the top of the organization. He explained to me that they broke his balls for 18 months and he still did not get to ITS. I just don't get the rigidness of the club. The licensing issue for me was laughable. I know I will be asked at some point by why I don't race with BMW CR and I'll refer and say you will have to ask them and keep it above board unless they get persnickety.

I am signed to coach with PCA and never have raced or coach with them. The Porsche Club Racing is very good with great cars. My racing buddy just bought a 997.1 (sold his 350Z) and will be leaving SCCA for PCA. My ultimate track car is a 997 cup car and I'll have it at some point and will most likely do some events with them when I step away from active competition. Both clubs run the 13/13 rule which is if there is an incident you are on probation for 13 months and another incident you are out for 13 months.Great rule. Could never be enforced in SCCA - see miata bump drafting.

t's not one club is better than another it's how you are treated. SCCA Club is very inflexible and they are the same as BMW in that respect.

For some reason racing, HPDE and similar sanctioning bodies have huge ego's. I find it mostly at the lower levels and I don't get it, we spend a lot of money to come to these events only to get treated like shit. Not always but there is always something that rubs you the wrong way. This past weekend they wanted to charge my SO $25 to get in when she is crew. They had security follow me back to my pit to make sure I came back and paid. Crew is free and they said because no one is at the SCCA window they have to charge. WTF./ At last months national race I podiumed and had two free tires coming my way. That's $400/tire. I left impound and did not have my forms with me, so I went back to tech and spoke with the person that signs off on the contingency forms. He said to late I left impound (brought the forms back with me) and that he needed to see my suit and car to check off the Hoosier stickers on both. I looked at him shut my mouth and walked away. This guy has tech'd my car for the last 5+ years, knows that I race in club, national, super tour and pro and still took the opportunity to bust my balls. And for what? I went over to the Hoosier tire tent talked to the lead guy, he rolled his eyes and said email me on Monday and I'll send you the tires. This prick was going to pork me out of $800 bucks worth of free tires because he could. Pro events like Trans AM, FARA, SVRA, International GT, Formula Regional America's,SRO, IMSA are a different ballgame, everyone is on a professional level and it shows from registration to the top dogs.

And they wonder when I start breaking balls in the drivers meeting and at tech. It's a two way street. At some point I'll toss up my hands, pack up and won't play in that sandbox anymore. Overall racing is a positive experience for me, I liken it to a 5 mile walk with a pebble in your shoe. Great to be outside getting exercise but that little fucker is down there rattling around.

121 - 140 of 168 Posts